New TV + Sound Bar hook-up question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New TV + Sound Bar hook-up question

We've got a new TV coming this week, along with a sound bar. I've never owned a sound bar before and gather there are a couple of ways to connect (HDMI and Optical).

I don't have an amp so will be connecting direct to the TV.

Optical is tempting to keep all the HDMI inputs free for other things. But it seems it lacks the features/capacity of HDMI.

HDMI is tempting to enable sound control from the one remote, but will connection to an HDMI port provide sound automatically to the other HDMI input devices (console etc)?

Any advice would be great as I'm a but clueless about these things.

Many thanks

Originally posted by Atticus View Post

HDMI is tempting to enable sound control from the one remote, but will connection to an HDMI port provide sound automatically to the other HDMI input devices (console etc)?

Any advice would be great as I'm a but clueless about these things.

Many thanks
    Yes, it will. I have this setup so when I turn off the TV, the sound bar goes off too. On my setup, I had to use a specific HDMI port.

Comment

Thanks Jaz, good to know.

I just hope the ARC port isn't one of the two high speed/4k ports, as I wanted the ONE X and PS4 Pro in those two.

Comment

I have an LG telly and sound bar. They’re hooked up via optical but I can still use the TV remote to control everything and they power on/off in sync with one another. So you might not have to use HDMI.

Although it it has to be said that the optical cable that came in the the box was the thinnest, most pathetic excuse for a cable ever. Luckily I had a much better quality one in my drawer of random cables...

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
          Luckily I had a much better quality one in my drawer of random cables...
          You know you're a Real Man™ when you've got a drawer/box/shipping container full of random cables, wires and other obtuse items that have been collected over a long career. Items that make you a dream for people in need. If you have a problem and no else can help, and if you can find them... maybe you can root through the wire box.

Comment

Thanks guys.

I've decided to exchange the one I bought for one with an additional hdmi input, so I'm essentially not losing one.

Comment

Is the TV HDR mate?

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                Is the TV HDR mate?
                It is mate and I've just had a sneaky peek at the Blade Runner 2049 UHD blu. Astonishing. The audio almost knocked me off my feet too
                Last edited by Atticus; 14-06-2018, 20:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  It is mate and I've just had a sneaky peek at the Blade Runner 2049 UHD blu. Astonishing. The audio almost knocked me off my feet too
                  Top man, now you'll see what the XBox One X can really do. Both Bladerunner films look ace in HDR

Comment

Check if your TV supports the Hybrid Log Gamma format. The BBC are showing World Cup games via iPlayer in 4K HDR. The iPlayer app will open on a splash screen advising you if the HDR games are available. The Virgin V6 set top box supports the HDR iPlayer stuff too.

Comment

[MENTION=8265]CMcK[/MENTION] it does support Hybrid Log Gamma so I'll be sure to check that, cheers

Comment

I’ve got the Egypt game on just now. The picture is mighty impressive much like an UHD disc.

Comment

Working...
                        X