Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
    It's open source - you could always make it better yourself
    Perhaps I should have been more precise in my hyperbole.

For computers it's fine, with plenty to tweak to your specific needs. Shoehorned onto a wide variety of other, less-than-PC platforms it's awful though, because it's never trimmed down to match the destination hardware. You end up with a complex, diverse emulator running on a toaster, where most of the extra fiddly bits need tweaking (to disable them often), rather than being disabled.

Basically, with the SNES Mini, it only had to do a set of things very narrow in scope - yet all the guts in the menu were left open. I accidentally clicked something and reverted it to a PC preset, borking about 10 minutes of fiddling. Several available options also made the SNES Mini crash.

RetroArch itself does not need improving - but if you're going to make it run on a Barcode Battler you should adjust its parameters to suit.

Comment

I did see earlier today that the Neo-Geo Arcade Stick Pro has been hacked before it's been launched in most teritories and the UI on that is looking quite nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19a2RJ05m2U

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
        Noooooooooooooot yet

Basically the hack is doable but it's fiddly & risky and time consuming too. At the moment it's neither refined or totally foolproofed yet. Until you can add games to the stock menu and have it looking legit i'm not interested. I never understand the appeal of installing retroarch and using their god awful menu on every console that gets hacked.
        Oh really? From the video's I'd seen people had very much had them hacked and running stuff without major concerns, it looked to me like it was do-able with Hakchi like the NES/SNES Mini and then there was the other project that I didn't look into its progress but video's suggested were similar in progress.

I'm 100% with you on the second bit though, there isn't much point in hacking it so it's menu looks like any standard Raspberry Pi's retro arch one, I've modded my SNES Mini but it retains its original look with only modified theme music and additions of folders on the menu system, it seems silly to buy the MD for the work M2 did on it then wiping it to play games the same was as any other generic device.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
          RetroArch itself does not need improving - but if you're going to make it run on a Barcode Battler you should adjust its parameters to suit.
          As it's open source it's generally randomers who are porting it to the multitude of platforms out there. There is no RetroArch team who governs all of this.

Comment

Play-Asia sold out of the asian version so I bought one from a seller on Amazon.co.uk. £89.99 plus a couple of quid for shipping didn't seem too bad, especially since I won't have to deal with any customs fees.

I'll write off however much extra this cost me as a 'tardiness tax'.

Comment

For computers it's fine, with plenty to tweak to your specific needs. Shoehorned onto a wide variety of other, less-than-PC platforms it's awful though, because it's never trimmed down to match the destination hardware.
              Yep. On PC, you can google your way out of a problem by editing the ini file(or just deleting it if it gets really bad).

On all the consoles I've tried, RetroArch takes the console down with it when it crashes.

On PS3, I pressed right on the wrong option and that was that. Black screen. Had to force the PS3 to shut down and it wanted to scan the HDD during the reboot.

I think one problem is that many people put RetroArch on their mini consoles to play EVERY GODDAMN GAME EVER, so there's not as much demand for a slimmed-down RetroArch that isn't booby-trapped to high heaven.

Interestingly, there doesn't appear to be a way to hide specific settings without making my own RetroArch. But that also means I could make a SNES Mini-specific RetroArch.

Could.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                booby-trapped to high heaven
                This. Exactly this. It feels booby-trapped because it's meant for computers.

Comment

Amazon truly are incapable of packaging anything safely these days.

My asian Mega Drive Mini was sent in one of those cardboard box/envelope hybrids they so cost-cuttingly love. Unsurprisingly, the item's own box got a little crushed during transport so I'm sending it back.

And so it starts, the silly fun accessories are coming, a little storage box to sit it on that looks like a megacd. Somewhere to store the cables
                  I ordered one of these and am wondering: has Columbus Circle made one such storage box for the Super Famicom Mini? They did one for the Famicom Mini as well (link).

Comment

I got one of these today and it's a lovely little system. CRT filter is awful though.

So what am I going to play? Probably Story of Thor, right?

Comment

Looks like the official hack is pretty close to release and from this preview video it looks pretty awesome.
                      This video is a detailed hands on preview of the upcoming mod for the sega genesis / megadrive mini console. Leave any questions below! Links:MMC Discord Lin...

Here's the google docs spreadsheet of all the games that have been tested and their compatability. YAS magical flying hat works on it so thats me set A rather solid list of compatability for a first release especially as the famicom had a huge chunk that wouldn't work thanks to some of the weirder MMCs. Most of the MD big hitters work out the gate.
                      Stats Working Games: Failed Games: With Problems: Unplayable: Total tested List OUTDATED!!! Please use https://megadrive-compatibility.netlify.app/

Ang here's the hacks webpage but you can only read up on the help docs and other stuff yet no downloads for it are live apart from the people testing in blosed beta
                      Last edited by importaku; 26-12-2019, 01:30.

Comment

Guess who has been hacking this morning.

Magical magical haaaaato

it supports putting the title names in japanese so thats one less hassle, have yet to play around with all setting to see if anything can be done with scanlines but for now i can add the games i really love and fill in the missing gaps. Works like the snes where you can store games on internal nand. Image adding and spines work correctly too im glad i put in the prepwork in tracking down the covers & spines

edit) just checked scanlines, nope still llook terrible as ever. Something for later down the line to be fixed.
                        Last edited by importaku; 28-12-2019, 13:26.

Comment

just checked scanlines, nope still llook terrible as ever. Something for later down the line to be fixed.
                          The news update says:
                          ‘Fix’ stock scanlines by toggling smoothing off within stock emulator

Can you do this? It won't fix my problem, with the scanlines being borked on a 720p TV, but it's a start I'm hoping.

Comment

The news update says:
                            ‘Fix’ stock scanlines by toggling smoothing off within stock emulator

Can you do this? It won't fix my problem, with the scanlines being borked on a 720p TV, but it's a start I'm hoping.
                            Just tried it they look a lot better they are now crisp but still too dark, they make the image painful to look at as it pulls your eyes with them been that dark.

Just noticed the interface has the same problem as the famicom and super famicom when it comes to adding in titles in japanese looks like the console doesn't have the full kana character set so you get your titles with missing letters. They were fixed in the other 2 so i'm hoping down the line they will sort that out in the md too.
                            Last edited by importaku; 28-12-2019, 14:19.

Comment

Thanks for checking.

With regards to covers and spines, do you need to upload from your HD? They say there's a scraping option - does it do a good job pulling covers, release dates, and descriptive text from the net, or is it actually bundled with the download package?

The SNES Mini would regularly scrape the weirdest of **** from the internet and try to tell me that was the cover to whatever game ROM needed it.

I check the list. Jurassic Park works, so basically my favourite MD works!

Comment

I tried the scraping option it does work with the titles i added including adding in the description text but it's all in english as nobody is really wanting to do this as a japanese equivalent to their japanese machine so i'm gonna have to improvise at some point. Also pulls up the correct spines and covers but i manually added my own art as some of the covers are faded and the spines even more so.

Discovered that it adds the retroarch into the stock menu as a game cover and does the same with the project lunar boot menu, the covers look ok but i'm hoping at some point you can hide these too. Thankfully you can choose what you want it to autoboot into so it looks kind of stock. Gonna give it a while to mature now and just play the games i have added till there's a time to add it all in japanese and make it look stock as possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X