• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...on-brexit-deal

Johnson loses DUP support on his deal.
    Seen on Twitter about the DUP’s leader, Arlene Foster:
    At last: a woman says NO to Boris Johnson while totally ****ing him at the same time.

Comment

I see Steve Coogan has added his name to a letter about climate change, you know the guy with a huge collection of sports cars, banned for speeding various times, and made a fortune from selling DVDs etc. I'm going to start a personal boycoutt of all these two faced pious arses.

Comment

Yeah, that's it. Complaining on the internet about people who want to improve the planet yet also have to exist in the world we have created will totally solve climate change. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your manifesto.

Comment

So you think it's ok for these people to have acquired a vast fortune and lavish lifestyle on the back of carbon/petrochemicals, and then use that as a stick to beat everyone else with?

Comment

I think it's better than doing nothing. Are you doing more than nothing?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              I think it's better than doing nothing. Are you doing more than nothing?
              But they have done less than nothing, they are in a massive negative balance.

As for myself, I don't fly, I don't want any kids. And I repair and reuse lots of stuff, clothes, furniture, old wood and metal, I keep old cars going rather than new ones. Food is never thrown out, left overs are frozen or eaten another day.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                But they have done less than nothing, they are in a massive negative balance.
                They absolutely are. I agree. And yet unless one of them puts their money into creating a time machine (the Amazon guy could certainly afford that), that doesn't change. So any positive movement from here is a good thing. And as hypocritical as it can be (and it often is), some of the people who have benefited from causes of climate change are in some of the most influential positions to do something about it. So yeah, given where we are, I far prefer that rich people decide eventually to try to do the right thing.

I don't like it, by the way. I don't like, to use another example, that a billionaire gets acclaim for donating to a charity when the world likely would have been far better off had they not made their billions and there is pretty much no reason why people on this Earth should be making that amount of money. So I understand the resentment. But we are where we are and I'll take action over no action.

Comment

Then lets have proper action, lets see them fund solar panels for everyone, or forestry schemes. Fund an electric car, made from recyclables that isn't a 50 to 90k vanity car for the wealthy. Those tosspots down London would be better off tending plants, forests and keeping bees, and having a campaign to get everyone to turn their central heating down by a degree or two. They had protesters boasting how they had flown in from arl ower the world

Comment

There's a little parenting tip that I took on board a few years ago: don't criticise behaviour you want to see more of. It's a poor motivator. It applies here too. If you want to see them do more, criticising them when they do something isn't going to help. Not that they're reading this but I can guarantee you trying to take famous people down a peg or two on a gaming board is going to do less to help climate change than visible people getting out there and trying to make change will.

Comment

Might as well close most of these threads if not the forum then, because we could apply your criticism to most things said on here.

Comment

Yep. I guess I see climate change being a little more important than figuring out if Ridge Racer Revolution is an actual sequel or not. I realise many would argue my priorities aren't in the right place on that one.

Comment

In full support of XR's aims, but really not sure I get the angle they're going for with holding up public transport.

On the other hand, that footage of the guy being dragged off a train and booted is miserable as ****.

Comment

Something doesn’t sit right with me about XR, I can’t quite place my finger on it.

The cynic in me is saying they are making themselves out to be the enemy in the long run all whilst asking for public support, the very public they are disrupting causing people to miss work and lose pay, miss appointments for doctors, appointments for job interviews. They certainly aren’t doing anyone any favours, all they ever seem to do is get themselves mentioned and not the actual cause they are trying to highlight.

Comment

I can't say the tube struck me as a great idea. But something stayed with me from London riots years ago. It was just a tiny sound bite on some news show after there was violence somewhere or maybe windows were broken (I can't remember the details) and the interviewer asked this kid why they had resorted to violence. And the kid just looked at the camera and said something along the lines of "You're here now and you're reporting us and, until we did this, you weren't." And I couldn't argue with it and it stuck with me.

Comment

Having done just the tiniest bit of side reading about this, it turns out XR voted *against* disruption of tube/train services. It's likely that the minority that decided to go ahead with it regardless might be patting themselves on the back as yeah, they're front page news this morning, but the movement on the whole (and a lot of folks who are otherwise in support) are likely not. I guess this is the downside of being decentralised.

Comment

Working...
                                X