Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly of retro football games!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Played that for hours and hours on the C64, it was on this cheap Gremlin Graphics 10-pak that must've come out thirty years ago now (dang, how time flies...)

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post

Football Champ in the arcade is amazingly good fun. Surprised it’s not been mentioned yet as it was so fast, playable and a right laugh at the same time. It was the blueprint for the Super Sidekicks series and I felt that until the fourth iteration of SS (unfornate abbreviation, there), it always remained inferior to Football Champ.
      I did . But I know the game as Hatrick Heroes. Completely agree with you on Kick Off (utter crap) Sensible Soccer and Match Day (that game was so far ahead of its time)

I did enjoy J League no Striker on the Saturn, just a shame it came out so late in its life.

Comment

Microprose Soccer on C64 is the greatest football game of all time. Especially in the rain.

Pro Soccer on Super Famicom is likely the worst football game of all time. I understand why it was £30 brand new now.
        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Seibu Cup Soccer was a brilliant arcade game back in the early 1990s. Has anybody been able to make it fully properly playable on MAME?

Comment

4-4-2 on PS is one of the worst I've ever played, along with some game which licensed Ronaldo on GBC.

Comment

I'm not a big football fan, but I particularly disliked Sensible Soccer, because you can't turn. If you turn, the ball just carries on rolling in the previous direction.

I like Game Boy World Cup Football because you could incapacitate the other team (except the goalie) with no consequences.
              Also, the casual stereotyping of the countries was hilariously wrong.
              All the Italians were Mafiosa!

Mega Drive FIFA was great. I played against a mate who was hopeless at games one school summer holiday and I could tackle him, run to his goal and chip his keeper, every time. It ended up where he was roasting me if I didn't beat him by about 20 goals!

PS1 ISS Pro ("Nigeria") was pretty decent, but I think the series has lost its edge since it dropped the smiley faces. How the hell am I supposed to know if my players are depressed?

Comment

good ole ISS Pro 1
                "that's a yellow card, that's an early bath for him"
                "he must have lead in his boots"

Comment

Have to say while the game is a bit poor.. well it's crap. Me and my next door neighbour (also best mate) really enjoyed Euro 96 on the Saturn. It was the 1st game, here I can remember each football ground being modelled accurately The commentary from Bary Davies was (and still is) amazing with many great phrases like 'He was on the next page, he read that so early', 'Well he may laugh.. one suspects his manager may not'

It was just a great time, with me and the boys loving watching England down the pub: England were a pleasure to watch, playing great football and with most the pub, singing 'It's coming home' Then coming home having a few more cans, while playing Euro 96, trying to recreate the late great Trifon Ivanov monster free kicks That man could almost score from the halfway line!!! lol Nobody striked a ball like him
                  Last edited by Team Andromeda; 18-06-2018, 13:04.

Comment

I remember buying 'Sega Worldwide Soccer 2000' for the Dreamcast and really enjoying it. It doesn't get mentioned very often, but I think it looked good and played well.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

I remember buying 'Sega Worldwide Soccer 2000' for the Dreamcast and really enjoying it. It doesn't get mentioned very often, but I think it looked good and played well.
                      I liked it too, it was fun and super smooth. It just fel rushed out and unfinished with issues over players animations not looking right at times small bugs and terrible loading times. It was just a step backwards from the brilliant World League Soccer 98. I also liked the sequel UFEA Dream Soccer on the DC too.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                        I liked it too, it was fun and super smooth. It just fel rushed out and unfinished with issues over players animations not looking right at times small bugs and terrible loading times. It was just a step backwards from the brilliant World League Soccer 98. I also liked the sequel UFEA Dream Soccer on the DC too.
                        It was a bit dodgy in some aspects, but I still had a lot of fun with it. I've never played the sequel, so I'll take a look at it sometime.

Comment

Some good discussion for a change in this thread, some great titles picked along with some terrible ones too.

Fever Pitch Soccer was one game I remember the magazines giving tons of time too. In the end it turned out to be a bit pants, but that's US Gold for you.

Mega Man Soccer is far from a serious game and doesn't get mentioned muchm it isn't great and is more a laugh really, but the instance goal super shots are quite funny and annoying at the same time, if you are the one on the other end.

Comment

I also have to SEGA Soccer Slam on the Cube is one of the best if not the best multiplayer football game ever made, such a laugh in 4 player mode

Comment

I also have to SEGA Soccer Slam on the Cube is one of the best if not the best multiplayer football game ever made, such a laugh in 4 player mode
                              Yeah, that really is an underrated gem. I'm surprised Sega didn't do more; I can only assume it didn't sell.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post

Mega Man Soccer is far from a serious game and doesn't get mentioned muchm it isn't great and is more a laugh really, but the instance goal super shots are quite funny and annoying at the same time, if you are the one on the other end.
                                I remember not liking how slow it plays, so not very good despite the graphics being quite nice. I like footy games to have a fast pace.

Yeah, a great game. I always consider it to be a GameCube game, despite also having the Xbox version.

Comment

Working...
                                X