Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Zero/Fatal Frame series

Anyone a fan of these?
    I've picked up all five games in the series, including the 3DS spin-off and the Wii remake of 2 and am currently on the second game.
    Quite creepy in places with some unsettling moments, but I love the art style and the numerous ghosts make a big change to all the zombies you typically get in survival horror games.

Finished the first game about a month back and have just started on the second, which feels a lot easier to some respects.

The only one I've finished is Maiden of Black Water and I loved it. It's a little clunky and slightly too long for it's own good but it looks amazing and has great atmosphere.

I've got 1 and 2, both started but never finished which I intend to remedy soon. I want to get the Grasshopper made Wii game since there's a translation path for it as well. Big fan for the setting and visuals in all of them. The last two times I've been to Japan I ended up in places that looked exactly like bits of Maiden of Black Water. Great to see how closely they adhere to real locations.

Comment

Originally posted by Strider View Post
      Anyone a fan of these?
      I've picked up all five games in the series, including the 3DS spin-off and the Wii remake of 2 and am currently on the second game.
      Quite creepy in places with some unsettling moments, but I love the art style and the numerous ghosts make a big change to all the zombies you typically get in survival horror games.

Finished the first game about a month back and have just started on the second, which feels a lot easier to some respects.
      What is the 3DS spin-off?

Comment

I've only played Maiden of Black Water, but to be honest I thought it was pretty bad. Creepiness gave way to ennui, because the gameplay is just too repetitive. I love janky Japanese games, but I just didn't find this one much fun. I did play all the way through, but I don't recommend doing so really.

It's actually one of the few games I've played that properly makes use of the game pad though, which is quite interesting - you hold it up like a big camera to shoot ghosts. Unfortunately I found that it took me out of the action. I was very focused on wielding the big tablet, rather than being sucked into the game's spooky setting.

From what I've read though, it's a low point for the series. I'd actually really like to play an earlier entry.

Comment

I think I have three of them from various flash sales on the PSN.

Comment

I was a massive fan of the three PS2 games. They always had a really creepy atmosphere; I prefer Project Zero's ghostly horror to blood/gore. I remember the sound helped with this a lot too, with each area having its own background noise to create a different (almost always unnerving!) feel.

I think the camera as a method of attack is a nice idea. It feels more like better game design than the combat in games like Resident Evil or Silent Hill, where let's be honest, it's often easier to just run around the enemies!

I did play quite a lot of the fourth game on the Wii which I was enjoying (despite never being a big fan of the Wii controller). I can't remember why I didn't finish it it. I can't have been too far from the end.

I always intended to try the fifth game on the Wii U, but so far haven't got around to it. The reviews often seemed quite poor, even from fans of the series, which I think has left it sitting in the background.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
              What is the 3DS spin-off?
              It's called Spirit Camera and uses the 3DS AR functionality.

Comment

The Xbox games are generally considered to be the best versions as they sort out some of the difficultly issues, add a whole host of extras and typically feature new endings. Sadly, the third one never came out on it.

The Wii remake of 2 is also supposed to be very good and features the same camera system as 4. I'm up to chapter 4 now of Part 2 and the difficult is starting to ramp up a notch. The story seems to be in the background a lot more though, which is quite disappointing. Here's hoping it ramps up more.

Comment

3 is outstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by MrKirov View Post
                    3 is outstanding.
                    Yeah I'm looking forward to playing that one. We're planning a making of the first three games so I want to play through them all so they're fresh in my mind. I understand it has multiple characters etc and ties the first two games together.

Comment

Yes, it’s also mixed with downtime in a similar manner to Silent Hill 4, but it’s all done in a much better way.

Comment

Is 3 considered the best?

Comment

Originally posted by chopemon View Post
                          Is 3 considered the best?
                          It's been a long time, but I think so.

If you were looking to play this one first though, the story is a continuation of the story from the previous games (the first especially), where as the first two would work on their own.

There's probably not much to choose between 2 & 3, where as the first one looks and feels a bit more primitive.

Comment

I agree with ZipZap. Project Zero is still good to play, but it certainly feels a little more basic compared to the sequel. Having said that, the sequel doesn't highlight when a door is locked, which is more than a little annoying. Currently on the 6th chapter, so I reckon I'll be done with it by the weekend

Comment

I've only played and owned the 1st two games on the PS2 and then OG XBox collection.
                              I had to stop playing the 1st game at one point because I was so scared and frightened and simply couldn't take any more (when you hear a voice behind you in surround sound) . They are both brilliant games and the amtopehere they both create is chilling the bone.

Most prob the best horror series ever made, in terms of being a truly scary games

Comment

Working...
                              X