User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saturn Hardware

Quote Originally Posted by Yakumo View Post
    A lot of this information is from a Chinese YouTuber called High Score Boy. Most of his videos are in Chinese only but he did a fantastic Saturn special explaining how the hardware could do stuff we were told (mostly by Western devs) it couldn't do. That particular video was in English and shows proof to his claims.
    That's interesting, thanks. Do you have a link to his channel? I can't seem to find him by searching.

This thread has inspired me to plug my Saturn back in. I've still only played a fraction of the games I want to and keep discovering new ones I want to try. Bulk Slash is certainly getting added to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Asura View Post
    Yeah; I've always felt the idea of "Sega scrambling to adjust the Saturn after the PS1" is the kind of thing which makes a better story; I never thought it was really true.
    A lot of what is wrtten about the Saturn doesn't hold up and isn't true. Sadly like you say, its makes a better story and then you have the tosh coming from Tom Kalinske; Who just can't admit he called it wrong and so makes the myth up that SEGA were offered PS hardware or that SOA and SOJ never got on, never bornen out with Interviews from Key SOA staff like Scott Bayles, Martyn Franz or the late Joe Miller.

I remember the 1st specs leaks and it was of just talk of Hitachi RISC 27Mhz CPU, Alpha channel, 16,000 polygons and that was it along with the code name Saturn.
    There
    was never any talk of the Dual CPU. So at a guess, I would expect the 2nd CPU was added to counter the PS specs

Double post ��
    Last edited by Yakumo; 20-06-2018 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wakka View Post
    That's interesting, thanks. Do you have a link to his channel? I can't seem to find him by searching.

This thread has inspired me to plug my Saturn back in. I've still only played a fraction of the games I want to and keep discovering new ones I want to try. Bulk Slash is certainly getting added to the list.
    Sorry, I'm an idiot. The channel is Low Score Boy. Here's link https://www.youtube.com/user/lowscoreboy/featured

So assuming that the Saturn can address more that 4MB RAM/ROM through the cart slot... itd be interesting to see what a skilled development team could pull off with, say, a 6 or 8MB cart. And a VCD Card installed to get some MPEG video in there, just for good measure...