Saturn Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saturn Hardware

Interesting video, certainly a different story to what I’ve always been told about the development of the Saturn hardware...

Wow, I liked te look of the game "Bulk Slash" in that video; that's a new one to me. Who was it by?

Comment

That was pretty interesting. I keep getting recommended these Sega Lord X guy's videos on YouTube and to be honest I steered clear because of his name. Why is everyone on YouTube such a dork?!

On topic, it makes sense what he's saying, but I'd like to see his sources. Where's he getting this info? Shame he doesn't tell us. The prototype Saturns near the start were new to me too - pretty cool.

Comment

Yeah, his name put me off initially but he has some interesting videos. I’d never seen the prototype on the left before though.

Bulk Slash is very much like Virtual-ON, I really liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          Wow, I liked te look of the game "Bulk Slash" in that video; that's a new one to me. Who was it by?
          Hudson Soft man.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
            Bulk Slash is very much like Virtual-ON, I really liked it.
            That's a nice surprise. It's rare I find that I'm totally unaware of a game which seems so tailor made for me to buy.

Comment

It was released by Hudson and its a fantastic game. I loved playing that back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                That was pretty interesting. I keep getting recommended these Sega Lord X guy's videos on YouTube and to be honest I steered clear because of his name. Why is everyone on YouTube such a dork?!

On topic, it makes sense what he's saying, but I'd like to see his sources. Where's he getting this info? Shame he doesn't tell us. The prototype Saturns near the start were new to me too - pretty cool.
                A lot of this information is from a Chinese YouTuber called Low Score Boy. Most of his videos are in Chinese only but he did a fantastic Saturn special explaining how the hardware could do stuff we were told (mostly by Western devs) it couldn't do. That particular video was in English and shows proof to his claims.
                Last edited by Yakumo; 20-06-2018, 14:15.

Comment

His site is great and also full of nice info and views. Don't agree with him on the VDP 2 though. It looked to me that the 2nd SH-2 was added in very late as well as the VDP1 beefed up, becasue those specs were never nailed down untill late in, before that the ealy specs of was a Hitachi CPU running at 27Mhz, 32 Channels of sound and 5 backrounds layers with an Alpha layer

He is very right to say that the Saturn was always going to be made and handle 3D gfx that was confirmed when AM#2 R&D chief Tadahiro Kawamura , so to EDGE and the Japan Saturn mag on why SEGA changed from the Saturn planned NEC CPU to the Hitachi after testes showed the NEC CPU was too slow for 3D

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                    His site is great and also full of nice info and views. Don't agree with him on the VDP 2 though. It looked to me that the 2nd SH-2 was added in very late as well as the VDP1 beefed up, becasue those specs were never nailed down untill late in, before that the ealy specs of was a Hitachi CPU running at 27Mhz, 32 Channels of sound and 5 backrounds layers with an Alpha layer

He is very right to say that the Saturn was always going to be made and handle 3D gfx that was confirmed when AM#2 R&D chief Tadahiro Kawamura , so to EDGE and the Japan Saturn mag on why SEGA changed from the Saturn planned NEC CPU to the Hitachi after testes showed the NEC CPU was too slow for 3D
                    Yeah; I've always felt the idea of "Sega scrambling to adjust the Saturn after the PS1" is the kind of thing which makes a better story; I never thought it was really true.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                      A lot of this information is from a Chinese YouTuber called High Score Boy. Most of his videos are in Chinese only but he did a fantastic Saturn special explaining how the hardware could do stuff we were told (mostly by Western devs) it couldn't do. That particular video was in English and shows proof to his claims.
                      That's interesting, thanks. Do you have a link to his channel? I can't seem to find him by searching.

This thread has inspired me to plug my Saturn back in. I've still only played a fraction of the games I want to and keep discovering new ones I want to try. Bulk Slash is certainly getting added to the list.

Comment

Yeah; I've always felt the idea of "Sega scrambling to adjust the Saturn after the PS1" is the kind of thing which makes a better story; I never thought it was really true.
                        A lot of what is wrtten about the Saturn doesn't hold up and isn't true. Sadly like you say, its makes a better story and then you have the tosh coming from Tom Kalinske; Who just can't admit he called it wrong and so makes the myth up that SEGA were offered PS hardware or that SOA and SOJ never got on, never bornen out with Interviews from Key SOA staff like Scott Bayles, Martyn Franz or the late Joe Miller.

I remember the 1st specs leaks and it was of just talk of Hitachi RISC 27Mhz CPU, Alpha channel, 16,000 polygons and that was it along with the code name Saturn.
                        There
                        was never any talk of the Dual CPU. So at a guess, I would expect the 2nd CPU was added to counter the PS specs

Comment

Double post ��
                          Last edited by Yakumo; 20-06-2018, 14:18.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                            That's interesting, thanks. Do you have a link to his channel? I can't seem to find him by searching.

This thread has inspired me to plug my Saturn back in. I've still only played a fraction of the games I want to and keep discovering new ones I want to try. Bulk Slash is certainly getting added to the list.
                            Sorry, I'm an idiot. The channel is Low Score Boy. Here's link https://www.youtube.com/user/lowscoreboy/featured

Comment

So assuming that the Saturn can address more that 4MB RAM/ROM through the cart slot... it’d be interesting to see what a skilled development team could pull off with, say, a 6 or 8MB cart. And a VCD Card installed to get some MPEG video in there, just for good measure...

Comment

Working...
                              X