• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hudson View Post
    Gradius all day.

Yes I say it like this... Gray dee us

Gradius +1

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
      I find it very hard to like anything from the Atari 2600 lol. .
      A lot of 2600 games are quite fun if you like really abstract graphics and simple gameplay. I like how the games have a look and vibe that is very distinct. There's something I find quite magical and hypnotic about my favourite 2600 games. Of course, I can see why lots of gamers might think the games look like a mess and offer little fun. I didn't have a 2600 as a kid, so it's not nostalgia. I can get a kick out of really old tech that is running very basic games that look and sound totally archaic. It depends on my mood. Mostly I go back to 16-bit gaming.

Comment

Gradius/Nemesis for me - i used to be able to 1CC it in the arcade :-)

loved scramble and time pilot too (i regularly play the later and TP84 on the pi, in full tate on one of my 20F1E's). Takes me right back...

Comment

If you're a fan of Konami Shooters like Gradius ("Grad-ee-us"), don't forget the HG101 book:

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
            A lot of 2600 games are quite fun if you like really abstract graphics and simple gameplay. I like how the games have a look and vibe that is very distinct. There's something I find quite magical and hypnotic about my favourite 2600 games. Of course, I can see why lots of gamers might think the games look like a mess and offer little fun. I didn't have a 2600 as a kid, so it's not nostalgia. I can get a kick out of really old tech that is running very basic games that look and sound totally archaic. It depends on my mood. Mostly I go back to 16-bit gaming.
            I just thought even back in the day that 2600 was pretty rubbish and the games weren't good. But then I was a Mattel Intellivision fanboy, while my brother had the Atari . That said I also had a Philips Videopac G7200 back inthe day, after a local shop closing down sale, so better not say too much about rubbish GFX and poor gameplay

And I still love Pic axe Pete to this day lol

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
              I just thought even back in the day that 2600 was pretty rubbish and the games weren't good.
              I remember seeing the redesigned 2600 in shops when I was a kid and thinking "Who wants that old rubbish?". I knew it was an ancient console that had been bettered by the ColecoVision, NES, Master System, and home computers. It's only quite recently that I decided to finally give the machine a chance - and I was surprised by how many games I liked when exploring the library with the Everdrive. I'd never say any of the games are up there with the best games for later 8 & 16-bit consoles, but there's something about the simplicity that I find appealing when the mood takes me.

I've just discovered this homebrew version of Scramble for the 2600. I have to agree with people who say it's an astonishing port. It's a 32k game, when most Atari 2600 games were around 4k back in the day. I'll be putting it on my Everdrive and having a go.
              Last edited by Leon Retro; 27-06-2018, 17:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                I remember seeing the redesigned 2600 in shops when I was a kid and thinking "Who wants that old rubbish?". I knew it was an ancient console that had been bettered by the ColecoVision, NES, Master System, and home computers. It's only quite recently that I decided to finally give the machine a chance - and I was surprised by how many games I liked when exploring the library with the Everdrive. I'd never say any of the games are up there with the best games for later 8 & 16-bit consoles, but there's something about the simplicity that I find appealing when the mood takes me.

I've just discovered this homebrew version of Scramble for the 2600. I have to agree with people who say it's an astonishing port. It's a 32k game, when most Atari 2600 games were around 4k back in the day. I'll be putting it on my Everdrive and having a go.
                Looks like a great port, but that scrolling.....

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                  Looks like a great port, but that scrolling.....

The atari is indeed stock. However there is a bit of magic in the cart. Tech info located here -> http://atariage.com/forums/blog/blog-148/cat-203-dpc-arm-developmentThe improved version of DPC+ called CDF first discussed here
                  Super Cobra looks to have better scrolling and is on stock hardware with an improved version of David Crane's DPC+ Kernel for improved performance. I've also downloaded the rom from AtariAge, so i'll give it a go.

I guess it's worth $50 for diehard Atari fans.

Comment

Working...
                  X