Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 10 update - laptop now much slower to boot

Any ideas?

Now X3 the start up time, from the latest update.

Make sure fast start is still on

Windows 10 came with no shortage of performance improvements, but one of the neatest is its fast boot times. If your machine is taking too long to boo

Comment

I`m fairly sure that consumes power even with the machine off

Comment

Originally posted by huxley View Post
        I`m fairly sure that consumes power even with the machine off
        Nah, it doesn’t save to ram, it saves to disk and then reloads this state into the ram.

Comment

If your computer has a light for the disk, does it flash like it's hammering the disk drive during that time? Or does it sit there not blinking for ages? Might help narrow down if it's just doing something new or if it's an installed program not playing nicely with the latest update.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
            Nah, it doesn’t save to ram, it saves to disk and then reloads this state into the ram.
            My little Link tablet runs flat in two days when I shut down with that enabled. It makes minimal difference to the boot time as well.

Comment

Originally posted by huxley View Post
              My little Link tablet runs flat in two days when I shut down with that enabled. It makes minimal difference to the boot time as well.
              Are you thinking of standby mode?

Comment

That’s weird. All fast start does is log you out and then hibernate.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                  Are you thinking of standby mode?
                  Nope just had the fast start up option unselected.
                  Last edited by huxley; 30-06-2018, 22:49.

Comment

Click on the Windows button and start typing msconfig until the System Configuration application becomes available and open it.

You can take a look at what Services are running - do you notice anything new/strange etc which you can turn off. The Startup tab is now in Task Manager there is a link to open it, here you can see if there is anything new added to the startup-sequence on boot which might be hogging processor time.

Comment

First time I didn't use fresh install and system is much slower after October update.Also trouble with wifi connection is there.

Comment

Working...
                      X