Has buying retro died on Bordersdown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Colin View Post
    I was offered a massive collection recently, he turned down my £25k offer though.
    Was that for two metal slugs?

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
      Was that for two metal slugs?
      82 carts if I remember right mate.

Comment

Mighty big haul!

Comment

Good price for 82 copies of Metal Slug!

Comment

I tried selling a load of stuff and there just wasn’the interest. Or you got stupid low balls or daft PMs.
            This^ I even lowered prices to rock bottom and still got low balled, so decided f** it, I sell on Fleabay now. I wait until there's seller deals( sell for £3 etc).

The way I look at it, if someone wants to pay the crazy prices they'll pay.I've even had .99p auctions go to crazy prices.

Comment

I see that game you have for sale at £50, I’ll offer you £10 and that is my final offer. No haggling! I expect you to ship it asap and well packaged also, think yourself lucky for my offer! I have done YOU a favour!

Comment

Aye, it is surprising. For example I was offering a recapped Turbo Express with a bunch of other bits on here at £150, no interest. Bunged it on eBay 99p start and it went for almost £250.

Comment

It doesn’t help that a years worth of trades, sales and PMs got scud missiled as well

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                    Aye, it is surprising. For example I was offering a recapped Turbo Express with a bunch of other bits on here at £150, no interest. Bunged it on eBay 99p start and it went for almost £250.
                    Great example C, don't take this the wrong way but your pretty comfortable in life, good car, money in the bank and so on. That's a difference of £100, to some that's a huge difference.

If I was short of money I would sell Ebay all day long, yes it's more hassle and fees but £100 extra ( who's going to say no). Ebay is a retro sellers dream .

Comment

I have kept the vast majority of my games but the prices have went up so much in the last 5 years it doesn't seem worth trying to buy any more. A quick look on ebay shows me most of the Saturn games I want go for over £100. Hardly Neo-Geo prices but I couldn't justify that to myself.

Comment

I think the price of things nowadays is utter nonsense in some cases. I often talk about my old Japanese Megadrive collection which I sold, but about 10 years ago Vampire Killer was £100-150, now it's about a grand in mint condition, I mean I'm not going to drop that on the carts I once had and there's no sign of it stopping. This could be argued with most games libraries. I think the fascination of the younger generation regarding having a physical product has driven prices through the roof. A collector I know is about 12 years so never got the chance to play all the DC, Saturn etc. etc. growing up so is happy to bomb £300 a game and think nothing of it. Having owned and sold, re-bought and resold etc. etc. A lot of this gear, I can no longer afford to re-buy it, and, of course, have hundreds of pixel perfect emulators to play it on. It makes me realise I was buying a lot purely for the aesthetics of the case, manual etc. I still would do, as I like looking at pretty things - hence why it took me ages to get the art perfect for my Dino King project - but I'm not sure I can justify £1,000 to admire a Vampire Killer box to be honest. I think the bootleg market has killed some of it for me too. I mean, you have to ask sellers to open carts now to see if certain things are authentic. Couple that with the decline of car boot sales and the rise of turdbay and it's sort of sewn up really.
                        Last edited by Escape-To-88; 28-06-2018, 18:55.
                        3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

What are these people doing for a living that they can afford to drop a grand on vampire killer? That's what mystifies me, and there seems to be so many people who can afford to do so. I make a pretty good living, but I'd baulk at the thought of a four figure MD game. Are these 'collectors' just burying themselves in credit card debt for the sake of youtube likes?

Comment

Is that any different to spending money on any other “hobby” though?

Comment

I've seen a few things come up in the sales forum I wanted to buy but I get mad buyer's remorse these days, so I tend to cool off and mull over what I'd at one time be firing a PM straight at. I missed out on some things I should have bought doing this ... like garrz32's Jp 360 recently ... kicked myself for not buying that.

Comment

Is that any different to spending money on any other “hobby” though?
                                True,

It’s no diffent to spending vast sums of money on rare comics, books, antiques, records, holidays, fancy cars etc. Most older gamers have moved onto everdrives or emulation nowadays anyway and have already experienced owning the ‘originals’. It’s just not that important anymore for most of us.

Comment

Working...
                                X