No announcement yet.

Has buying retro died on Bordersdown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I stopped buying retro years ago, save for the odd home brew. Reason? Got sick of hoarding and prefer having a slimline collection.

Having said this retro is all I play game-wise so certainly not gone off it at all.

Comment

You just miss things like getting Mega CD systems from me for £30.

Comment

I’m pleased to say that anyone who ever sold me a neo game on here, I still have it!

Comment

Some man, you'd probably get triple for that sun faded Garou I sold you.

Comment

I don’t even reckon it was sun faded!

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
              I look at the inactivity in the "show what retro items you've bought" thread in comparison to days gone by and it makes me wonder where we're all at. I'm curious if that particular thread being so much less active is as a result of:

1: Members being older and having everything they want having lived through the periods of gaming we love?
              2: We've all sold up and moved to emulation or SD cart solutions?
              3: No one wants to pay the prices that retro kit is now being sold at?
              4: lack of availability?
              5: Something else?

I look at the prices stuff is going for on eBay, someone is obviously buying it, but who are these people paying ridiculous sums for games that we owned for comparatively next to nothing in our purchasing history?
              Mario Odyssey was the last new release I bought (October). Every purchase I've made since then has been retro. I just figured folks got tired of seeing pics of my new JAMMA PCBs

Comment

Everyone wants to ride with zaki cabs!

Comment

There's still a bunch of stuff I want but I'd rather play what I have right now and save my money.

If the price is right I might still bite though.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki Matar View Post
                    Mario Odyssey was the last new release I bought (October). Every purchase I've made since then has been retro. I just figured folks got tired of seeing pics of my new JAMMA PCBs
                    Get those jammas out for the lads!

Comment

Personally, three things have affected my retro collection.

YouTube makes it easy to see footage of practically any game in seconds. This tends to scratch my itch; if I want to see some footage of Guardian Heroes or hear the title screen music of Megaman Battle Network, I can.

Retro collections and functionality on modern consoles have generally improved. For instance, I have a version of Shock Troopers on my Nintendo Switch which is pretty awesome. Things like the SNES Mini exist.

Thirdly, though, and this is the kicker - I would love to have a Saturn collection, because that machine tends to have been ignored when it comes to retro remakes and re-releases - but I don't want any CRTs in my home. When LCD displays started to become viable for gamers, I switched to them very early on. I still remember moving a bunch of times at uni, and having to lug around my 32" Sony Trinitron; massive, heavy, boxy thing that it was. Although I like how CRTs look, I have no nostalgia for their form factor and they space they take up in the house, and retro consoles look dreadful on LCDs.

Of course, things exist; X-RGBs, Framemeisters and so on, but I think that technology needs to develop a bit further than it has. I want one of those units, but with more inputs, and cheaper. I basically want a box with HDMI on one end, every input imaginable on the other, for it to work with any reasonable resolution input (or PAL/NTSC/SECAM etc.), for it to have a good interface which is easy to use, and finally to cost half of what the current ones cost.

However, that's probably an unreasonable request, so I'll just have to go without.

This all makes me think that maybe I should sell my copy of Guardian Heroes, the one Saturn game I still possess.
                      Last edited by Asura; 29-06-2018, 07:52.

Comment

A multi RGB input ossc would be great. I've gone SD route for SNES and neo Geo

Comment

Ive pretty much stopped with the retro stuff (and physical for that matter) as collecting is basically a bottomless pit that is never ending. I was thinking of creating a youtube channel and had wishlists of games I want to play for each system, with some of systems having over 200 games. A quick look on ebay and seeing NES and SNES stuff complete going for hundreds of dollars per game just meant that unless I won the lottery, it would be impossible to collect the games on my list. Also I wouldn't have the time to play the stuff. Add to that the amount of physical space I would need, cartridges and consoles that will end up not working at some point and the amount of time and money needed I have just given up. I have a NES and SNES mini and I will just buy a Super NT and an SD2SNES and be happy with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                            2: We've all sold up and moved to emulation or SD cart solutions?
                            3: No one wants to pay the prices that retro kit is now being sold at?
                            That.
                            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Bordersdown has still very legit prices in terms of buying retro. Personally, I've assimilated so much stuff and I am now trying to slim it all down.

I wished I had a Garou AES though, would play that game to death instead of it sitting on a shelf just most collectors these days. It's ok, the NeoSD Pro will be launching soon so it's more or less the same thing and the money could be spent elsewhere.

This whole "retro-youtuber-wow-this-is-a-rare-gem" thing that makes a game price skyrocket is just cancer! Never liked it, never will.

Comment

RetroArch

Comment

Working...
                                X