Has buying retro died on Bordersdown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has buying retro died on Bordersdown?

I look at the inactivity in the "show what retro items you've bought" thread in comparison to days gone by and it makes me wonder where we're all at. I'm curious if that particular thread being so much less active is as a result of:

1: Members being older and having everything they want having lived through the periods of gaming we love?
    2: We've all sold up and moved to emulation or SD cart solutions?
    3: No one wants to pay the prices that retro kit is now being sold at?
    4: lack of availability?
    5: Something else?

I look at the prices stuff is going for on eBay, someone is obviously buying it, but who are these people paying ridiculous sums for games that we owned for comparatively next to nothing in our purchasing history?

Wasn’t there a load of scumbags who were just scalping the generous prices then putting them straight on ebay?

Comment

Good question.

I've thought about all this myself quite a bit lately, as it seems to me that a lot of people on forums are selling their collections. Not that I mind too much as long as I have fun with my stuff, but I find it interesting nonetheless.

Looking at my fighting games club, most of the members have little retro stuff at home and are content with current gen stuff, save for our meetings. One fellow has a log of games but most of it is PS2 era and newer, because he has more fun playing older stuff in company of others anyway. Another has a pretty huge collection with a Sega focus, including gems like "Panzer Dragoon Saga" and whatnot, and loads of boxed Ganeboy games, many of which he found on a flea markt for 50 cents apiece. Yes, that was recently...

But yeah, most of the others don't really care for this older stuff, at least about owning it, and I would imagine others just don't have the space for it.

I'm still going strong, BUT most of my little money dedicated to gaming goes into limited releases of current gen stuff these days....maybe when my wife finds work again, I'll be able to get more retro games again, as my want list is far from finished. Oh, and crazy prices certainly don't help matters....neither able nor willing to pay that, so I have to wait for good opportunities.

Seems I've been able to find two NES games, though....nothing spectacular, but I'm happy about it. Will post'em when I find the time! (gotta leave for work now)

Comment

I definitely think there’s a combination of growing up, SD card solutions for near enough every console and not having the piss taken on eBay going on.

Who’s buying it all? Find random YouTube collectard, check shelves in background...

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
          Wasn’t there a load of scumbags who were just scalping the generous prices then putting them straight on ebay?
          Probably, but I meant in general Van. Still loads of retro fans here, just not many purchases. To be fair, it could just be that nobody can be arsed posting them.

Comment

Personally, with retro systems I either got all the games I wanted for the system years ago before the prices skyrocketed (GameCube), don't buy games for regularly any more as they've generally gotten too expensive (Super Famicom and PC Engine), don't really care much about apart from a couple of games which have become too expensive for me to justify buying (Mega Drive), or I stopped collecting before I started collecting (J-NTSC Saturn, N64). I enjoy retrogaming, I regularly play retrogames nearly as much as 'regular' games, but it's hardly like it was 10, 15 years ago.

Comment

I still buy Game Boy and Game Boy Advance games. No time to take pics of the games though as I have to hide them before my wife sees

Wii is the oldest home system I still play. Too expensive/too much of a hassle to get older systems like the N64 or the GC to look good on a 55 inch TV. Wii games look quite decent on the Wii U in 480p and 4:3.
              Last edited by Nico87; 28-06-2018, 18:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                Probably, but I meant in general Van. Still loads of retro fans here, just not many purchases. To be fair, it could just be that nobody can be arsed posting them.
                I tried selling a load of stuff and there just wasn’the interest. Or you got stupid low balls or daft PMs.

Comment

GameCube is the most modern console I own. Still buy loads, just can't be bothered to post in a thread nobody looks at. lol

Comment

I've bought a couple of GameCube games the past month, but they don't scream "retro" to me, so I didn't post pics. I haven't bought any really special retro items for quite a while, so haven't had anything to really show off. I have all the 8 & 16-bit consoles I want, and also quite a few Saturns, PlayStations and N64s, so I have nearly everything hardware wise. If I bought a Vectrex I'd post a pic and say that I'm happy to finally have one. That's one console in particular that I should have bought last decade.

I like looking at all sorts of stuff people buy, so keep posting. I will definitely post things I deem to be interesting.

Comment

For me it's the advent of flash carts and the insane prices for retro stuff. To re-buy all the gear that I sold in the past would involve 5 figure sums I'm sure and it's something I just can't face. With the introduction of flash cart alternatives I can still play those games on original hardware at a fraction of the price (the odd splurge none withstanding)

I still pine for shelves full of lovely retro games but with the current state of the market the drive just isn't there anymore. And it also helps with my OCD.

Comment

I just want to live vicariously through other peoples purchases without having a house full of the stuff myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                          I just want to live vicariously through other peoples purchases without having a house full of the stuff myself.
                          Buy some neos and sell them on to me for an attractive price

Comment

I was offered a massive collection recently, he turned down my £25k offer though.

Comment

A big difference for me is the availability of retro titles (even niche ones like Battle Garegga) on modern consoles that also look great on modern TVs. Less clutter, less worry about old gear lasting, no need for a CRT or xrgb. Win, win and win.

Plus, when something like the SNES Mini comes along it ticks the same boxes and more: small, reliable, inexpensive and AUTHENTIC ... a perfect retro fix for an old time Nintendo fan like me. It'll keep me going for years and years, esp the one I have with extra games on

Fans of old games are well catered for these days.

Comment

Working...
                              X