No announcement yet.

Favourite Quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"If it looks like ****, and smells like ****, it's gotta be ****." Jack Homer aka Burt Reynolds in Boogie Nights.

"Why the sarcasm? Because sarcasm is all I got left! Sarcasm...and a roomful of you c****!" Michael de Santa in GTA5 (best bit of the game).

"The silence of these infinite spaces fills me with dread." Blaise Pascal, a deeply religious upon, upon gazing through a telescope and not finding God.

Comment

Still one of my favourite movie quotes (like some folks here)

Apone: “All right, people, what are you waiting for? Breakfast in bed? Another glorious day in the corps! A day in the Marine Corps is like a day on the farm. Every meal’s a banquet! Every paycheck a fortune! Every formation a parade! I love the corps!”

Apone ‘Aliens’

Comment

“No man was ever wise by chance” - Seneca
        Last edited by Zen Monkey; 18-07-2018, 11:44.

Comment

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are god. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are gods.” - Christopher Hitchens

When reminded that the people of Sinope had sentenced Diogenes to exile, he replied, "And I sentenced them to stay at home.” - Diogenes

“Wake up and live” - Bob Marley

“Jesus Christ knew he was God. So wake up and find out eventually who you really are. In our culture, of course, they’ll say you’re crazy and you’re blasphemous, and they’ll either put you in jail or in a nut house (which is pretty much the same thing). However if you wake up in India and tell your friends and relations, ‘My goodness, I’ve just discovered that I’m God,’ they’ll laugh and say, ‘Oh, congratulations, at last you found out.” - Alan Watts

“A scholar tries to learn something daily; a student of Buddhism tries to unlearn something daily.” - Alan Watts

“Where there are humans, you'll find flies. And Buddhas.” - Kobayashi Issa
          Last edited by Zen Monkey; 18-07-2018, 11:44.

Comment

"The goal is not to be better than the other man, but your previous self."

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they’re not on your road doesn’t mean they’ve gotten lost."

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

"My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."

All by the Dalai Lama. Beautiful.

Comment

That Dalai Lama quote is similar to one of my favorites:

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self."
              Ernest Hemingway

Comment

"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield

Comment

"I've never been lonely. I've been in a room -- I've felt suicidal. I've been depressed. I've felt awful -- awful beyond all -- but I never felt that one other person could enter that room and cure what was bothering me...or that any number of people could enter that room. In other words, loneliness is something I've never been bothered with because I've always had this terrible itch for solitude. It's being at a party, or at a stadium full of people cheering for something, that I might feel loneliness. I'll quote Ibsen, "The strongest men are the most alone." I've never thought, "Well, some beautiful blonde will come in here and give me a ****-job, rub my balls, and I'll feel good." No, that won't help. You know the typical crowd, "Wow, it's Friday night, what are you going to do? Just sit there?" Well, yeah. Because there's nothing out there. It's stupidity. Stupid people mingling with stupid people. Let them stupidify themselves. I've never been bothered with the need to rush out into the night. I hid in bars, because I didn't want to hide in factories. That's all. Sorry for all the millions, but I've never been lonely. I like myself. I'm the best form of entertainment I have. Let's drink more wine!”

- Charles Bukowski

I love that. Definitely resonates with me. Loneliness ain't something I ever feel.

Comment

"Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them.” - Marcus Aurelius

Comment

“Most of our difficulties, our hopes, and our worries are empty fantasies. Nothing has ever existed except this moment. That's all there is. That's all we are. Yet most human beings spend 50 to 90 percent or more of their time in their imagination, living in fantasy. We think about what has happened to us, what might have happened, how we feel about it, how we should be different, how others should be different, how it's all a shame, and on and on; it's all fantasy, all imagination. Memory is imagination. Every memory that we stick to devastates our life.”

- Zen Master Joko Beck

“Anxiety is always a gap between the way things are and the way we think they ought to be. Anxiety is something that stretches between the real and unreal. Our human desire is to avoid what's real and instead to be with our ideas about the world:

"I'm terrible." "You're terrible." "You're wonderful." The idea is separated from reality and anxiety is the gap between the idea and the reality that things are just as they are.

When we cease to believe in the object that we've created -- which is off to one side of reality, so to speak -- things snap back to the center. That's what being centered means. The anxiety then fades out.”

- Zen Master Joko Beck

“We have a fictional “I” that we try to love and protect. We spend most of our life playing this futile game. “What will happen? How will it go? Will I get something out of it?” I, I, I—it’s a mind game of illusion, and we are lost in it.”

- Zen Master Joko Beck

"My dog doesn't worry about the meaning of life. She may worry if she doesn't get her breakfast, but she doesn't sit around worrying about whether she will get fulfilled or liberated or enlightened. As long as she gets some food and a little affection, her life is fine. But we human beings are not like dogs. We have self-centered minds which get us into plenty of trouble. If we do not come to understand the error in the way we think, our self-awareness, which is our greatest blessing, is also our downfall."

- Zen Master Joko Beck

“Joy is being willing for things to be as they are.”

- Zen Master Joko Beck

Comment

"it's nice to be nice."

Comment

"Gentlemen! You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

Comment

“…and then, I have nature and art and poetry, and if that is not enough, what is enough?”

- Vincent van Gogh

“Nature is not a place to visit. It is home.”

- Gary Snyder

“Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

- Isaac Newton

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                            "Gentlemen! You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
                            I love that.

Comment

"If at first you don't succeed then pack your bags!"

Comment

In honour of Leonardo da Vinci whose 500th anniversary just passed:

“One can have no smaller or greater mastery than mastery of oneself.”

“I love those who can smile in trouble, who can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink, but they whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves their conduct, will pursue their principles unto death”

“The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.”

“I thought I was learning to live; I was only learning to die.”

“All sciences are vain and full of errors that are not born of Experience, the mother of all Knowledge.”

“My body will not be a tomb for other creatures.”

“I have from an early age abjured the use of meat, and the time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men.”

“The smallest feline is a masterpiece.”

“Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen.”

“An average human looks without seeing, listens without hearing, touches without feeling, eats without tasting, moves without physical awareness, inhales without awareness of odour or fragrance, and talks without thinking.”

“Learn how to see. Realise that everything connects to everything else.”

“Men fight wars and destroy everything around them. The earth should open and swallow them up. He who does not value life does not deserve it. Never destroy another life through rage, or through malice.”

“If there's no love, what then?”

Truly a great genius, up there with the very best.
                                Last edited by Zen Monkey; 11-04-2019, 18:32.

Comment

Working...
                                X