Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MS Outlook - what happens if you do this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS Outlook - what happens if you do this?

Clickbaitfest. Anyway, Outlook in POP3 mode grabbing emails from server at host1, with thousands of emails stored locally.
    What happens if I change the same email account to look at server at host2 but in IMAP mode?
    (the emails are now coming in on server host2 - server 1 no longer exists)

Does it:
    a) realise none of my local emails are on the server and delete them all from local
    b) realise none of my local emails are on the server and start uploading them to the server
    c) ignore the local emails completely
    d) something else

I did find this page, but although I think I'm a little clever, I didn't feel I was understanding it well enough to answer my question. So I'm either a thicky, or it wasn't well written. https://www.msoutlook.info/question/634

edit: I don't want to move the local folders to the server - they are far too big (huge attachments which is no longer an issue with dropbox and stuff being used from now on), but I need to keep them.

It says "remove pop3 account" - I'm scared this will prevent me accessing the emails. Outlook if crayzeeee
    Last edited by charlesr; 06-07-2018, 18:39.

Comment

I'm not making assumptions about your Outlook knowledge so apologies if any of this is obvious to you but here's my understanding:

The account and the PST file containing local email messages are separate things so you can remove the account while keeping the PST file(and all emails/attachments/folders/calendars/contacts contained within).

I would think that you'd remove the POP3 account and then set up an IMAP account and choose the existing PST file as its data file, but the site you linked to seems to suggest that the IMAP account will need a new PST file with its own folder structure.

PST files are just an offline copy and Outlook won't confirm emails exist before downloading duplicates so in short, Outlook will do (c). There's no syncing like with Exchange(where deleting the local copy of an email will delete the actual message on the server).

Have you unchecked the 'leave a copy of messages on server' option?

It sounds like you have. Therefore, there should be no duplicate messages on the server and you can simply use your current PST file as an archive. Any new messages will be received in the new PST file via the IMAP account.

Comment

Working...
      X