Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

The Donkey Kong Adventure expansion is out and while it's not on the same level as the Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion, it's still quite fun and well done.
    The DK Adventure is only available after you beat chapter one of the main story and features only three characters: Donkey Kong, Rabbid Cranky Kong, and Rabbid Peach. Sadly the two new characters can't be used in the main campaign. Rabbid Peach starts with preset abilities and whatever you acquire won't transfer to the main campaign. With the exception of shared characters the DKA expansion is effectively self-contained.

DK and Rabbid Cranky are fun characters. DK can grab most enemies and even half destructible covers and throw them around, swing on vines to traverse stages, and is armed with a boomerang banana able to hit multiple enemies in one action.
    Cranky is armed with a shotgun, can put enemies to sleep, and has a powerful jump attack.

As with main game missions and stages put character abilities to the test, though I've found the whole expansion a bit on the easy side, although even in the main game the difficulty laid in completing stages within the turn limit for the best ranking rather than clearing them altogether. Puzzles break the monotony between missions, though I would have preferred a few more combat missions and a bit less puzzles, which are almost entirely based on placing sliding boxes over switches.
    The expansion is as long as a chapter in the main game, more or less, with exclusive challenges, weapons, and collectibles.

Oh, I think there's a bug in the final mission that prevents the background music from playing, but not sound effects or short musical transitions. Weird.

This has been one of the biggest releases in my Switch backlog to look at for a long while now as I've been pretty indifferent to the concept, I'm late in Chapter 1 now and I tell you what, it's pretty damned fun. The game looks great and feels like it's been polished to match N standards, the gameplay is straight forward but fun enough to stick with as well. Nowhere near as slow paced as I'd feared. Still couldn't care about rabbids, they didn't need to be in this at all but this has the makings of being a nice surprise.

Comment

My God, it's been a month nearly. I'm wedged into the DK DLC now and I still enjoy it but I'm definitely feeling ready to wrap it up and play something more immediate, I'd worried 4 worlds would be too brief an experience but it was just about right with the DLC stretching my interest a little. Overall though, very pleasant surprise of a game

Comment

Tried this earlier on, and right now... Hmmm...

So I'm not gonna knock it on the strength of the first hour, when it's an SRPG and if you wanted a genre where games typically don't show their true colours until part-way in, SRPGs are one of the better examples.

That being said, the initial experience is a bit mixed? It looks gorgeous and it's really polished, but visually seemed a bit flat? (might've been because I'm in portable mode so will try it in docked mode later). The actual gameplay didn't seem much to write home about; am I right in the suspiscion that this is kinda like the SRPG for people who've never really played SRPGs? Because it's nailed it, if that's the case, and it's great such a title could exist because that's a bit of an untapped niche.

I'll keep going with it though, and see how I get on.

Comment

It is simple compared to other strategy games, but the system doesn't open up until you get a few members in your team and gain experience for the skills. It'll still remain one of the less complicated examples of the genre, but I've found it very pleasing to play.

Comment

Yeah it gets more challenging later on but it's never crazy during the story. There are special levels you can tackle iirc that are outside of the main story that test your metal.

Comment

Working...
            X