No announcement yet.

Octopath Traveler: Prologue demo/Full game [NS]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't be objective with this, having grown up with Squaresoft at their best and loving 16-bit jrpgs, but this game is gorgeous! There are moments that stop me as much as any AAA title from recent times. The gameplay is solid, the voice acting spot on (the dialogue is a little twee, but mostly on point), and it's nostalgictastic in every possible way. The execution really is spot on. In my totally biased opinion, this pees all over FF15 from a great height and will hopefully give rise to all manner of FF remakes and new titles using the same engine.

Comment

I find the battle system can be enjoyable if I field my main team (Olberic, Cyrus, Tressa and Ophilia) as I have most basses covered and great offense, but it's very easy to neglect the other characters and have them become underleveled and such. Any other mix of characters and the fights just seem to drag a bit. Therion is super weak and not very useful compared to the others IMO, but his path action is a game changer. I'm nearly at 20 hours and have just picked up the last character on my lap of the map, H'aanit. Looking forward to seeing what the sub classes do.

Also, look out for the cat enemies that run away lol. I stole £6,000 off one once before it ran. Another time I managed to kill one and all my team got about 3 level ups off the EXP.

Comment

anyone feel the recommended levels for some of the chapters is way off? Really struggled with the chapter 2 bosses for Tressa and Cyrus even though all my team were equal or above the recommended level. Gave up after having my ass handed to me a number of times and did Primose and Olberics chapter 2 without issue... glad I did though as got me a a some sub classes while exploring. Gonna go back to try Tressa and Cyrus chapter 2 bosses again.

Come across a few cats, but they always run away on their first turn, not enough for me to break them and beat them

Comment

I foolishly slept on this (as the cool kids say). Damn, it's a very good game. Turn based goodness. Love the weapon switching and boost attacks!

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
            I foolishly slept on this (as the cool kids say). Damn, it's a very good game. Turn based goodness. Love the weapon switching and boost attacks!
            Indeed. I need to get back to it. I need it done before they come out with Triangle Strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
              Indeed. I need to get back to it. I need it done before they come out with Triangle Strategy.
              Same on both counts.

Comment

Oh **** yeah. Forgot about that.

Comment

I have the €100 Special Edition on pre-order. I think the last time I bought an SE was the JP DC Sonic Adventure 2 birthday pack. That was a nice set, it's just too bad that the game was an utter stinker.

Comment

Working...
                  X