Octopath Traveler: Prologue demo/Full game [NS]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Octopath Traveler: Prologue demo/Full game [NS]

So the demo is basically 3 hours of the full game, giving you the chance to actually play it before making your mind up properly about the full release this Friday. You can pick any of the 8 protagonists and play 3 hours of their storyline. I chose Alfyn, the Apothecary. I really can't explain why but apparently it was a good choice and I've really enjoyed the story so far.

Each of the characters has a special ability, and Alfyn's is Inquire. He uses his helpfulness and friendliness to learn details from people that others can't. To start with Alfyn uses an axe and ice magic. As you increase in level, you earn Job Points (JP) which you can use to learn new skills in any order you choose. As you learn new skills, you also unlock support skills which are employed automatically.

For Alfyn, the first support skill he learns gains him SP for special attacks/etc. as he uses regular attacks. Handy, as he also has healing magic.

We've all seen how shiny it looks in the initial demo, and this is still true of the "prologue". I may only be 1.5 hours in, but I can see how this will end up taking up my summer gaming.
    Last edited by kryss; 19-07-2018, 17:12.

Do data carry over to the full game?

Comment

The devs have said that this is a spiritual successor to FFVI.

Whichever character you pick is the main protagonist throughout. I wonder how that's going to work with the story?

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
        Whichever character you pick is the main protagonist throughout. I wonder how that's going to work with the story?
        Maybe like Seiken Densetsu III the main character will dictate the most important events for part of the game and then everyone will face the same endgame.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
          Do data carry over to the full game?
          Yes it does indeed.

Comment

Got my game a day early, went with Olberic. Couldn't make make up my mind which character to be at first, so I just went with the dude I knew from the first demo. Not really sure I get his Dual skill, apart from moving people out of the way of doorways and such, I don't see the point in challenging other people as I can get my whole party exp if I go fight elsewhere. Managed my way up the east side of the map and picked up Cyrus the Virus. His ability to detect an enemy weakness automatically, once per battle, is great! Infact, if you keep fighting the same enemies over and over, he will eventually fill in all the blanks for you and you'll know everything the enemy is weak to. Saves alot of "test" attacks and saves you a bit of SP too. He also has access to 4 types of attack (staves, fire, ice, lightning) so I imagine he will be very useful in this game. So far the game has been pretty simple, but I like it.

Comment

Is this basically a run of the mill JRPG? I don’t mean that to sound as dismissive as it sounds as I write it (I like JRPGs!). But is that what it is?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                Is this basically a run of the mill JRPG? I don’t mean that to sound as dismissive as it sounds as I write it (I like JRPGs!). But is that what it is?
                The Gamespot review is pretty good for those who, like me, have no idea what to expect.

Comment

Picked up Therion the Thief after Alfyn's opening story. We then went through Therion's opening and are continuing on together. You can swap lead character at the tavern's apparently. My full copy is on the way and I have 20 minutes of demo time to enjoy still.
                  I would say it is "standard" JRPG setting but with some new twists.
                  Last edited by kryss; 13-07-2018, 15:43.

Comment

Still playing the demo, went with Tressa. Just defeated the first boss.

Comment

I had to look this up today, after someone on my FB feed complained about the name sounding like Octopus.

This is a JRPG?

I haven't read any gaming mags or websites in ages, I'd only seen a few people online name dropping "Octopath Traveller" (without screens or context), which I instantly dismissed because it sounds like a sequel to Octodad.

This is one of the worst English names for a game I've come across. The instant mental association, upon just seeing the name, is that it's some worthless garbage fluff casual 5 minute flash or mobile game with hideous art design. Like Octodad.

Octopaaaaath - nobody suspects a thing

Octopaaaaath - they've got a good thing goin'

I mean, I suppose if you follow games religiously, or buy magazines, or visit news sites regularly, it's alright? But for anyone not heavily invested in games, the name by itself is truly awful.

Comment

I agree. It sounds like a mobile game.

Comment

It's called Octopath, 'cause there's 8 characters that all decide to go on a journey. The first letter in each characters name spell out Octopath too, so it seems they really like the name It used to be Project Octopath Traveler, before.

Seems a lot of peeps don't really understand what the game is all about. The demo is great, it's the full game but with a 3 hours time limit attached. It takes about an hour to do the intro section for one character, so you can get a nice idea of how it plays.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                            Seems a lot of peeps don't really understand what the game is all about
                            Correct. I assumed it was a cheap mobile phone game.

Comment

Is it safe to delete the demo after you've picked the save file from it up in the main game?

Comment

Working...
                              X