User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Awesome, thanks. Wouldn't have realised without this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon Retro View Post
    Gimmick is a great game, so that's good news. Does Castlevania 3, the Japanese version with extended audio, work?
    I installed it to test, im assuming you meant akumajou densetsu? Hackchi warns you when you install it that it uses a unsupported mapper which is why you install the extra retroarch cores so you can play unssuported games. I made it use the nestopia core. Plays fine and the sound as far as i can tell is the nicer fancy audio.

One cool thing is you can go into the emulator options and disable the 8 sprite limit so games will no longer flicker like mad when it gets busy. Sure it's not authentic but who cares, i seriously doubt the developers intended their games to look like a flickery mess. Rockman is a great one to use it on.

I only added Nes games to the Nes mini via the hack when it came out, what sort of buggery can you do now, can you emulate things thats need more than 2 buttons and use the wii classic pad?

Quote Originally Posted by importaku View Post
    I installed it to test, im assuming you meant akumajou densetsu?
    Yeah, that's the one. It uses extended audio - the American version doesn't. It's cool that you can get it working properly using a different core.

Are there any clear guides how to get new games on the NES & SNES - and add cores etc.. Where do you get the box art from?

I believe you can also play snes games on it now as it's basically the same hardware (and vice-versa) but yeah you obviously need a controller with more than 2 fire buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon Retro View Post
    Yeah, that's the one. It uses extended audio - the American version doesn't. It's cool that you can get it working properly using a different core.

Are there any clear guides how to get new games on the NES & SNES - and add cores etc.. Where do you get the box art from?
    I'll include all that info this weekend for you all. But in the meantime if you are looking for box art for any region. Gamefaqs is a suprisingly good resource.

Quote Originally Posted by tokyochojin View Post
    I believe you can also play snes games on it now as it's basically the same hardware (and vice-versa) but yeah you obviously need a controller with more than 2 fire buttons.
    Yeah i heard it was possibl but not quite sure how its done as i never dug deeper but theres a way for it to be made to dual boot, so you get the menu for either the nes or snes not sure if its done by a menu as it boots or by a button combination. The amount of things people have gotten them to do is rather impressive, hell i have even heard people playing ps1/psp games on the thing no idea how good the emulation is though. For the thread im making i'll be just concentrating on the basic stuff and keeping them running their respective games as soon as you start adding a ton of other systems it just becomes another emulation box. Part of the fun for me is just having them dedicated as their own machines.

Quote Originally Posted by importaku View Post
    Part of the fun for me is just having them dedicated as their own machines.
    Yeah, there's something nice about having a NES Mini that just has a collection of NES games on it. The same with the SNES. If someone wants an all-in-one box - buy a Raspberry Pi 3 and you're sorted.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 13-07-2018 at 08:56 AM.

Same for me, once it start's to lose the feeling of being a "Nes" and just a rom box I know I would stop playing. That's why I have the Megadrive (everdrive), Snes and Nes mini set-up.

All about the nostalgia of having that pad in front of the telly.

i love the fact that when you play disk system games on the famicom you get the system screen and you can watch them load. Thankfully they dont take ages to load in but it's a nice bit of nostalgia, when i was looking for new games i made sure to look at the disk games as well. They are a bit more tricky to get working but most work with the built in emulator. The other problem disks run on the other cores but load less elegantly. Its nice to have super mario bros 2 along with all night nippon super mario bros and also doki doki panic all on the same machine along with the regular 3 mario games.

Not sure if the nes has the disk system image on its emulator or not though. Will need to research this weekend as i write up a guide for all this.