• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impressive effort [MENTION=39]importaku[/MENTION]

Comment

Thanks all who replied about power.

Comment

I found out that the 'white line' problem also shows up using my Raspberry Pi. My TV must introduce it when it's receiving a HD signal but with the image in a 4:3 frame. It puts a 1 pixel wide white line at the edge.

Comment

I’m really intrigued by the micro SD mod but I’m completely inept at soldering. I’ve destroyed a few consoles in my time whilst attempting to mod them.

Does anyone on here have the mad skills to do this??

Comment

Originally posted by boxhead View Post
            I’m really intrigued by the micro SD mod but I’m completely inept at soldering. I’ve destroyed a few consoles in my time whilst attempting to mod them.

Does anyone on here have the mad skills to do this??
            There is a usb host mod that requires no soldering that does something similar you get a usb passthrough adapter and plug it in tbe back then you can boot the games from the usb stick so you get more memory to play with. Im guessing the internal board mod is the same thing but more elegant. Look up usb host mod on youtube theres a few tutorials on how it's done.

I have the soldering ability but what i lack at the moment is the iron to do it as my current iron is pretty terrible as it's super cheap so i have no temp control and the tip is pretty rank, no way i'd risk it on my minis. From the board size it looks like you'd need a pretty decent tip to make those connections. Am planning on getting a couple of the boards though to keep for when im ready as that kind of stuff doesnt stay in stock forever.

Is pretty fascinating that such a modding scene has sprung up around the mini, who would have thought a simple plug & play could do so much more if you so choose. The fact the built in game selections are pretty awesome to start with makes all the extra tinkering the icing on the cake. Hoping nintendo do the gameboy next. Used my spare uk mini and removed all the games and turned it into a temp gameboy mini, the gb core is pretty great. Love looking at all the box artwork on the menu it makes it a lot nicer than other plug & play attempts that just have a line of text like some 100 in one chinese pirate multicart. Japanese box art is pretty nice for vintage nintendo stuff but there are a few less than stellar ones in there but nothing on there sheer level of horror as the american megaman boxes of the first couple of nes games (shudder) lol

Been enjoying that super fami macross game the most though these past few days, its crazy how smooth it all runs with loads on the screen and not much slowdown. Not sure if the preset id tweak is responsible for that or the game is really that well programmed. Shame gradius 3 and the parodius games are plagued with pretty bad slowdown at times would be amazing to have them running full speed all the time. Kind of miss konamis golden period where they'd make stuff like parodius & goemon.
            Last edited by importaku; 20-07-2018, 08:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
              I found out that the 'white line' problem also shows up using my Raspberry Pi. My TV must introduce it when it's receiving a HD signal but with the image in a 4:3 frame. It puts a 1 pixel wide white line at the edge.
              While it sucks you have those lines least you figured out it's cause, hopefully it's not doo distracting. Kind of used to blanking out the sides of the screen as nes games have that programming glitch where the edges of the screen have garbage on them as you scroll, mario 3 been tve one that comes to mind. Hopefully you are finding more fun games to add.

Comment

This is the thing you need for the USB stick.

Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Yup thats the thingy in question, it has to be one that is orientated so the socket goes to the left and not to the right as there's two versions out there. If you get one that goes right you wont be getting that hdmi plug in anymore as it will be blocking access. Pay close attention to that micro usb plug on it.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                    While it sucks you have those lines least you figured out it's cause, hopefully it's not doo distracting. Kind of used to blanking out the sides of the screen as nes games have that programming glitch where the edges of the screen have garbage on them as you scroll, mario 3 been tve one that comes to mind. Hopefully you are finding more fun games to add.
                    Well, it's just me being fussy. The white line is just 1 pixel thick and isn't really noticeable most of the time. I'm just a perfectionist.

Yeah, NES games tend to have that horrible garbled graphics as the screen scrolls.
                    Mario 3 is especially bad for that. But at least you can get rid of it through emulation.

I haven't modded the NES yet, but when I do, I'll add some of the games you listed. I already have an NTSC NES with an Everdrive, so I've found quite a few gems. I'll put them on the Mini.

Comment

After a bit of a headache, lots of sweating(the inferno weather doesn't help, and a few swear words filling the air, I managed to mod my NES Mini and get some new games working on the system.

I used Gimmick! as a tester game. Using the Nestopia core, the game runs perfectly. I turned off the bilinear filter and the image with scanlines looks really sharp and vibrant.

Then I installed Contra, because it's such a classic game that should have been on the Mini. It also looks wonderfully vibrant.

I will be adding lots more Famicom/NES games over the coming weeks.

Comment

Nice one, you have now done the the tricky part as you now know how to add non supported games. I agree with the bilinear filter turned off the sharper scanlines make the games look so much better. Gimmick is a great test of lag too as the jumps need to be so precise especially with jumping on your star, managed to get to level 3 using my famicom minis tiny pad. So much for people crying that it's too tiny to use, overblown as usual.

Been playing goonies today, suprisingly fun platformer but those level layouts get complicated fast i may need to look for a map, still no idea how to make the items appear they seem random. Also more of mitsume ga tooru, this one is a totally recommended one, fantastic graphics combined with fun gameplay.

Last edited by importaku; 22-07-2018, 13:47.

Comment

Nice one, you have now done the the tricky part as you now know how to add non supported games.
                          It took a while to work out how to get Gimmick! running, but it was definitely worth the hassle. I'm sure that Hakchi can make mistakes, because sometimes it seems to mess things up, then I do things the same way again and things work as they should. But it's probably just me not fully understanding the nuances.

I agree with the bilinear filter turned off the sharper scanlines make the games look so much better.
                          I've always hated bilinear filtering - it looks like the image is smeared with vaseline.

Gimmick is a great test of lag too as the jumps need to be so precise especially with jumping on your star, managed to get to level 3 using my famicom minis tiny pad. So much for people crying that it's too tiny to use, overblown as usual.
                          I'm on Level 4 at the moment. It's quite a tricky game in parts, but it's always fun to make progress.

Also more of mitsume ga tooru, this one is a totally recommended one, fantastic graphics combined with fun gameplay.
                          I love the graphics. It's always nice to see what clever artists managed to do with the Famicom hardware. Looks like a fun game too, so I'll definitely put it on my Mini.

Comment

Just takes practise with hakchi i have screwed mine up a few times where i have uploaded a game or changed a setting and then all of a sudden the built in games stop working or vice versa. If things start breaking the easiest thing to do is uninstall and revert your console back to original then re flash the hakchi custom kernel & try again, it seems to prefer things done in a set order.

Found mitsume by accident i saw a pic of the box & i was intrigued. Seems the character looked familiar as he has appeared in one of my DS games. The guy that created astro boy also created this manga/anime series too. The tricky thing now is finding new games as a lot of youtube videos just regurgitate the same game lists again & again, there is so many obscure famicom games out there but apart from going through a romset one by one it's hard to find them as sometimes the titles hide them pretty well disguised as boring sounding names.

It's funny while i'm currently loving captain toad on switch i keep finding myself turning on my minis instead and having a few hours of retro fun. Very tempted to get a usa snes mini so i can load it with western games that didn't make it to japan as i don't like mixing region boxart styles on the minis.

Comment

It's funny while i'm currently loving captain toad on switch i keep finding myself turning on my minis instead and having a few hours of retro fun. Very tempted to get a usa snes mini so i can load it with western games that didn't make it to japan as i don't like mixing region boxart styles on the minis.
                              I have been using my new PS4 over the past few weeks, feeling like I'm really into a modern gaming. But now I'm back into retro gaming with the NES & SNES Mini. Retro gaming always lures me back when I venture into the modern side of gaming. I do really like the PS4 though, so it's fun to mix things up.

I think I'll create different folders for Famicom and NES. And the same for Super Famicom and Super Nintendo.

Comment

One fun thing i enjoy doing is trying to get the hibaihin versions of games onto the mini, the hardest part been finding decent quality pics online of the box art if there's any at all. Decided to upgrade the built in version of gradius to the super rare archimendes hen version of the game where the powerups are replaced with noodles. Love weird promotional games like this, have a few on my super fami mini but not found many for famicom. Fun to have without spending thousands on the real things.

Tadaa noodle upgrade lol

Noodles powerup
                                Last edited by importaku; 22-07-2018, 23:28.

Comment

Working...
                                X