The Nintendo classic (not so) mini thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    I'm sorry to ask a simple question, but can you play SNES ROMs on a NES Classic and vice versa?
    Pretty sure I have read people adding both on both machines, not sure though if it’s the older original releases or the newer rereleased updated ones as the newer machines all use the motherboard from the SNES ones. But installing the emulator cores for nes on the SNES should work. Not sure about SNES games on a nes as the boards on the older releases are different depending on which version you have.

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

I put all three Parodius games released for the SFC on my SNES Mini this morning. It's cool that Jikkyo works, seeing it uses a special chip[SA1]. I still like Gokujo the most, as it runs really well and the music always makes me happy.

I'll be playing through all of them later today.
    The parodius games are fab all are worth having, was surprised they run so well as like you say one of them used that special chip. Nice to have them all, the first is probably my fave still but I love all the craziness of the other releases. It can be distracting to play as I’m always watching the weird stuff the enemies are up to in the backgrounds lol. The 8 bit famicom version is surprisingly competent too with some interesting design changes to take into account the lack of power.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
      The 8 bit famicom version is surprisingly competent too with some interesting design changes to take into account the lack of power.
      Yeah, all the differences from the coin-op & SFC versions make it a must-play for fans of the series. A really nice game to put on the Famicom/NES Mini.

Comment

I'm sure that I won't need more space for NES/Famicom games. I am slowly putting more games on my NES Mini, so it looks like I won't have more than 60 when I'm done.
        for nes the limit is 90 without pages or folders any more any you will start to get c8 errors, i did once get c8 errors with 90 but its because i used a cover that was really high res & it used too much of the finite memory. Once i lowered the quality it was fine, theres a non changeable pre set limit of memory allocated to the frontend that you can use up. It was never anticipated you would put more games on than what it came with, the cover art to each new game thats added uses up that memory if you use too much it runs out and you get an error.
        Last edited by importaku; 22-08-2018, 21:25.

Comment

SuperPi cases with some nice features, and standard USB controller inputs, instead of a silly fold down panel...

I’m not posting a link to the horrible looking US style one, because who’d want that atrocity under their telly https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retroflag...kAAOSwbpVbf7Dj
          Last edited by _SD_; 25-08-2018, 02:12.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
            I’m not posting a link to the horrible looking US style one, because who’d want that atrocity under their telly

I've had a few American machines over the years, and am sort of fond of them in a weird way. I can see it looks like a violet coloured breeze block, but there's something strangely attractive about it. I also like the way the pads have two concave buttons.

But if I had to choose between one of these Pi cases, I'd love the Super Famicom version.

Comment

Cool looking but not what this thread is about. No pi stuff please.

Comment

Today i updated my famicom to replace a game Nintendo took 20+ years to fix. As everyone knows, Donkey Kong was originally missing the pie factory level in the famicom/nes version but the Donkey Kong original edition rom Nintendo released many years later includes the missing level. Decided to swap out the original game for this more complete updated version the only odd thing is the 2010 date on the title screen to give it away hehe.

Managed to get the original box artwork for all the built in games, as in the exact image files that Nintendo used so with these replacements you can upgrade all the games to give them nice scanlines and use the built in art as the box artwork as some of the ones Nintendo used are nicer quality than anything i could find on the net. None of my built in games are now visible i have replaced them with added rom versions instead but with using the original internal boxart you'd never know.

Here's the box for Donkey Kong

Here's the missing level finally restored, looks great on the mini.

Last edited by importaku; 28-08-2018, 12:39.

Comment

Today i updated my famicom to replace a game Nintendo took 20+ years to fix. As everyone knows, Donkey Kong was originally missing the pie factory level in the famicom/nes version but the Donkey Kong original edition rom Nintendo released many years later includes the missing level. Decided to swap out the original game for this more complete updated version the only odd thing is the 2010 date on the title screen to give it away hehe.

Managed to get the original box artwork for all the built in games, as in the exact image files that Nintendo used so with these replacements you can upgrade all the games to give them nice scanlines and use the built in art as the box artwork as some of the ones Nintendo used are nicer quality than anything i could find on the net. None of my built in games are now visible i have replaced them with added rom versions instead but with using the original internal boxart you'd never know.

Here's the box for Donkey Kong

Here's the missing level finally restored, looks great on the mini.

I downloaded DK Original Edition from the 3DS VC a while back. IMO it still isn't any closer to the coin-op than the original NES port was, but I guess it's not bad to have around.

Comment

Yeah compared to the arcade it's still woefully lacking but at least now it has all 4 intended levels.

Comment

Seems Nintendo is catering to those that have yet to pick up a mini & fancy getting both at the same time as on Sept 15th they are releasing a double pack which contains the famicom & super famicom along with a usb power plug for the sum of 15077yen.

Comment

Interesting as these can pretty much be picked up anywhere now in Japan and even see tons of second hand models on display, so wondering if there is actually much of a market left now?

Comment

Originally posted by tokyochojin View Post
                          Interesting as these can pretty much be picked up anywhere now in Japan and even see tons of second hand models on display, so wondering if there is actually much of a market left now?
                          Im guessing with the large amount that you have seen second hand that people bought them to scratch that nostalgia itch then quickly got bored of the built in games and then sold it on, as great as they are in stock unmodded form they truly shine when you are able to edit the games on them. They have been sold out for quite some time before they got restocks you'd have thought that most people who wanted one would already have got one by now. Scalpers took some of the stock out of the market though so people were priced gouged out of getting one. With Nintendo ramping up production the market is now full of them again, they have been pretty much back to retail price on amazon for quite a while now which is nice as it means people can finally pick them up without the headaches of before. Maybe those are the people that Nintendo are still aiming for, the ones that were priced out from the first releases of the minis?

As crazy as it is i'm planning on getting a UK nes mini & a USA snes mini so i can fill them with the western exclusives that didn't reach Japan, yeah i could easily put them all on one machine without having to buy more but i prefer not to mix the box art from various regions. It is a tad excessive but i love playing on these things, i haven't enjoyed playing retro stuff as much as this in a very long time.

Kind of wished Nintendo had gone through with releasing the disk system mini like they toyed with at one point in it's devolpment, but hopefully the HDMI switcher will fill that disk system need. I secretly hope the remote that comes with it will sit on top like the ram adapter completing the look.

This is the mockup of when Nintendo were planning on making the disk system mini, man it looks so nice. Along with the white pc engine the famicom has a timeless retro look that i totally adore.

Today been hammering (lol geddit) my way through daiku no gensan, never played the famicom version before it's rather fun although i haven't gotten beyond the 2nd level yet. Here's my boxart for it if anyone wants it, not an easy one to find online in decent condition took me quite a while to find a suitable image and then edit it to remove the box damage & dirt. Sometimes yahoo auctions comes in handy for box art hehe.
                          Last edited by importaku; 29-08-2018, 14:00.

Comment

Today been hammering (lol geddit) my way through daiku no gensan, never played the famicom version before it's rather fun although i haven't gotten beyond the 2nd level yet. Here's my boxart for it if anyone wants it,
                            I'm glad you mentioned this, as I like the Super Famicom version. It looks like a game worth adding to my NES Mini. Thanks for the box art.

Comment

I'm glad you mentioned this, as I like the Super Famicom version. It looks like a game worth adding to my NES Mini. Thanks for the box art.
                              There's also a 2nd Daiku no gensan game, both are pretty fun but i prefer the 1st game a little bit more. Here's the box art for the 2nd one in case you want it, same problem as 1st game it's not easy to find a decent high quality copy online. This is the best i could find & it took a while to remove all the horrid jpeg artifacts from the white background to at least clean it up a little bit it's not too bad when resized in hackchi.

If there's any paticular box art you are after feel free to ask i may have it already on my pc for posting on here. Some have been a total ball ache in trying to find online, even searching in Japanese has sometimes not brought up much either.

Comment

There's also a 2nd Daiku no gensan game, both are pretty fun but i prefer the 1st game a little bit more.
                                Nice one. I will see what I think of both of them.

If there's any paticular box art you are after feel free to ask i may have it already on my pc for posting on here. Some have been a total ball ache in trying to find online, even searching in Japanese has sometimes not brought up much either.
                                Yeah, I might need some box art that isn't easy to find.

Comment

Working...
                                X