Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by importaku View Post

Goemon 2 is pretty much playable too.
    That's the one I own. It's still a beautiful game that plays really well. Easily one of the best SFC games.

Comment

The 2nd goemon is probably my fave of the sfc ones too, the levels are wonderfully designed especially the gourmet palace. One second your bouncing on ramune bottles and dodging ebi fry, the next moment you are riding a robotic chopping machine. The first 2 are pretty fun on famicom too, not as polished and distraction filled as their later versions but solid little action games all the same.

Comment

Haven’t really thought about this till now but I noticed that my TV’s picture format is set to «unscaled», and for some reason that displays a 28 inch playing screen (TV is a 55 inch) on my SNES Mini with huge black borders everywhere. I tried setting it to 4:3 but it just squishes everything. Seems weird..?

The games look super crisp though as opposed to what it looks like when I set my TV to 16:9, but wouldn’t mind a slightly larger picture. It can’t be seen in the picture I took but it looks absolutely stunning with no blocky pixels even without the CRT filter.

Last edited by Nico87; 07-08-2018, 19:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Nico87 View Post
          Haven’t really thought about this till now but I noticed that my TV’s picture format is set to «unscaled», and for some reason that displays a 28 inch playing screen (TV is a 55 inch) on my SNES Mini with huge black borders everywhere. I tried setting it to 4:3 but it just squishes everything. Seems weird..?
          You should have a nice 4:3 frame that reaches the top and bottom of the screen. The only black borders you should have are at the sides where there's 16:9 space leftover. Maybe set you TV to 'full pixel' and select 'widescreen', which will be a 16:9 signal but with the game in a 4:3 box. I have my TV set to 'widescreen' but the games are still in 4:3, with the black borders at the sides making up the rest of the image.

Comment

I don’t have a full pixel option. Selecting widescreen does what you said but it obviously makes the picture looks worse. I really wonder why the «unscaled» option gives me a 28 inch playing screen though

Comment

Finally managed to get to the end of the 2nd stage in macross, man it's so hard. I get too distracted by all the neat effects, end up losing all my powerups very fast as i smash into stuff while distracted. But the more i play the more i start wondering if there's any more graphically awesome shooters on snes/sfc that i missed out on in the mood for more of them. Is there any others on the same level as macross for fancy effects?

Already have all the parodius games as i love those but they are not technically impressive in the same way. Played axelay already, not sure what else there is out there.

Comment

Finally managed to get to the end of the 2nd stage in macross, man it's so hard. I get too distracted by all the neat effects, end up losing all my powerups very fast as i smash into stuff while distracted. But the more i play the more i start wondering if there's any more graphically awesome shooters on snes/sfc that i missed out on in the mood for more of them. Is there any others on the same level as macross for fancy effects?

Already have all the parodius games as i love those but they are not technically impressive in the same way. Played axelay already, not sure what else there is out there.
                Well there’s Area 88 and Super Aleste, but it’s been so long since I played them so hard to compare graphics wise to Macross

Comment

The games look super crisp though as opposed to what it looks like when I set my TV to 16:9, but wouldn’t mind a slightly larger picture. It can’t be seen in the picture I took but it looks absolutely stunning with no blocky pixels even without the CRT filter.

I guess it's outputting the native display resolution at 1:1 (unscaled) ratio. This is why it looks so pristine. To fill the screen you're going to have to stretch those pixels.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                    I guess it's outputting the native display resolution at 1:1 (unscaled) ratio. This is why it looks so pristine. To fill the screen you're going to have to stretch those pixels.
                    Thanks, but I think I’ll just stick with this. Looks crap when it fills up. The border helps a lot, was kinda too small when it was all black.

Comment

I don’t have a full pixel option. Selecting widescreen does what you said but it obviously makes the picture looks worse. I really wonder why the «unscaled» option gives me a 28 inch playing screen though
                      I think you've set it to display the actual size of the image, so it's not scaled and therefore looks sharper. When you scale it, you will naturally get a less attractive image, but it shouldn't look too bad.

Is there any others on the same level as macross for fancy effects?
                      I'd say Macross is the best horizontal shooter on the SFC.

Others shoot 'em ups worth trying are:

BioMetal
                      Gradius III
                      Pop'n Twinbee
                      Spriggan Powered
                      Super EDF

Comment

"One less favourable aspect of Nintendo’s mini line of retro systems is the fixed library of games. As fantastic as the collection is on the SNES Classic Mini, some fans are admittedly disappointed by the closed state of the console - with no ability to update the device or download more nostalgic hits.

The Classic 2 Magic is a simple SNES Classic Mini attachment that enables users to play and add more games to Nintendo's small-sized hardware. Due out this September for $59.95, the device will allow you to dig out your old SNES cartridges, install and then play them directly on your SNES Mini. There’s no region lock, either.

There’s also the ability to play backup ROMs and copy ROMs thanks to the inclusion of a USB Drive. The accessory also allows various other video game emulators to be played on the SNES Mini and is even compatible with the NES Classic Mini. Overlooking the current piracy debate, these functions are somewhat similar to the Retrode 2."

Comment

Hehe what an unusual bit of kit, i was wondering how it worked then i noticed they are using hakchi with it so im guessing just a clunkier way of playing roms but it's cool that such a quirky thing exists for people which a big cart collection.

Comment

I'm sure that I won't need more space for NES/Famicom games. I am slowly putting more games on my NES Mini, so it looks like I won't have more than 60 when I'm done.

Comment

I put all three Parodius games released for the SFC on my SNES Mini this morning. It's cool that Jikkyo works, seeing it uses a special chip[SA1]. I still like Gokujo the most, as it runs really well and the music always makes me happy.

I'll be playing through all of them later today.

Comment

I'm sorry to ask a simple question, but can you play SNES ROMs on a NES Classic and vice versa?

Comment

Working...
                                X