Retro|Spective 49: Daytona USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love Daytona USA.

I made a cardboard sit-in cabinet using my mum's little telly, the Saturn console and the arcade wheel.

Blue, blue skies.

Comment

Daytona for me is such a fun racing game and it gets right something that I have always felt pretty important in racing games: the visual landmarks are so clear that you develop such a sense of the track that you eventually learn it by instinct. Some racing games have cookie cutter tracks so you couldn't tell at a glance where you actually are on the course. Not Daytona. The Sonic wall is a big one but it's one of many lovely visual markers.

It felt better to me than most racing games of its day (although I think I later found it twitchy). And it's just a lot of fun.

The Saturn version had awful borders here and the draw distance wasn't good but it was still very playable. I played the DC version too and seem to remember liking that as well. Was there a dinosaur track or did I make that up? I don't remember much about it. Haven't played the others.

Comment

If they get a decent DC emulator for Switch up and running I'd happily spend lunch breaks revisiting 2001. I don't think the Saturn version helped the series gain a foothold at home, the original versions compromises made too poor an impression and when the CE edtion arrived people had stopped caring as Ridge had already eclipsed it. Shame really but I guess Rally was soon behind it also.

Comment

I can't remember if a dinosaur appeared in 2001 or Daytona 2 but the key memory of Daytona 2 is that huge swinging pirate ship you race underneath

Comment

Another post
            Tomorrow will see the release of the fiftieth R|S thread where we will celebrate the occasion with the first Developer Focus thread, a theme that will be used every tenth thread. There's not a lot to say clue wise for it though except:

Clue - They made a lot of hits

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
              I can't remember if a dinosaur appeared in 2001 or Daytona 2 but the key memory of Daytona 2 is that huge swinging pirate ship you race underneath
              The Dinosaur was there from the very start in the Model 2 and Saturn AM#2 game on the 2nd track. In the Arcades Daytona USA was king until OutRun II hit the Arcades in the home, Saturn SEGA Rally just totally ecliposed both RR and Daytona and tbh I don't think its ever been bettered.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                If they get a decent DC emulator for Switch up and running I'd happily spend lunch breaks revisiting 2001. I don't think the Saturn version helped the series gain a foothold at home, the original versions compromises made too poor an impression and when the CE edtion arrived people had stopped caring as Ridge had already eclipsed it. Shame really but I guess Rally was soon behind it also.
                I personally feel people come down on the Saturn Daytona a bit harshly. I had it, Christmas morning 1995, and I loved it. Yes, it's flawed, but remember that for many of us it was the first proper 3D racing game that we ever got to play at home. It was running unopposed.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                Daytona for me is such a fun racing game and it gets right something that I have always felt pretty important in racing games: the visual landmarks are so clear that you develop such a sense of the track that you eventually learn it by instinct. Some racing games have cookie cutter tracks so you couldn't tell at a glance where you actually are on the course. Not Daytona. The Sonic wall is a big one but it's one of many lovely visual markers.
                One game I remember really hating was the PS1 F1 game, the first official Sony one - that was sold on the strength of how it had 20 cars and a large number of tracks.

I really miss racing games just having 2-5 really, really good tracks, rather than a hundred identikit ones. Some games make it work (Burnout made it work) but I really liked the whole quality-over-quantity approach.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post

One game I remember really hating was the PS1 F1 game, the first official Sony one - that was sold on the strength of how it had 20 cars and a large number of tracks.
                  Thought it was 22 . But its a great point. It reminds me of the love Tekken 3 on the PS and everyone going ape over it having a scaling backround, when VF II was doing that years before on the Saturn while also running at 60 and at a higher res. before we even more on to Last Brox . Daytona USA EC hand to handle 40 cars full screen at 30 fps and yet people were raving over F1 on the PS with its 22 cars on track.

Have to say that Daytona USA 2 was one of the biggest disappointments ever ... I remember changing over 20 dollars (was inthe USA on its release) thinking that I would be on the Arcade unit for ages (like with the Orginal) Yet after 3 goes I looked to move on and was gutted with the game and used my change to play Harley Davidson and LA Riders, which was simply ace

Comment

Working...
                  X