Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched one of my all time faves on Friday night: Rear Window. Wife and eldest were out so me and our 10 yr old had a movie night, and I thought I'd give a dad film a go And it was a success!

I love this film so much I could go on about it all day. Nice to share it with someone new. I remember watching It's a Wonderful Life with my granddad when I was around the same age and I never forgot it.

Comment

Watched Inglorious Basterds last night and was kinda surprised it was such a quiet, old-fashioned movie. I was expecting Tarantino cult overkill but instead got a very talky, mainly French-subbed experience.

It was...OK. It was a bit of a long stretch, tbh, this is really talked about highly by folk but I wasn't fully feeling it, Christoph Waltz is bloody brilliant, though, like a proper evil Rob Brydon evil Nazi chimp, this movie needs a spinoff with that guy alone as lead!

Comment

I saw Smokey and the Bandit was on ITV4.
        I don't think I've seen it. Or the sequel. It's part 3 I've seen loads, which doesn't even feature Reynolds until the last minute!
        I thought I had, but I've only seen clips of 1 (bridge jump) and 2 (roller coaster demolition).
        I've not seen it yet, but I've got it recorded.
        Can't find my Cannonball Run DVD though. I swore I got it free with some newspaper.
        Yikes, I lowered myself to buying The News of the World, apparently:

As my Virgin box was still on ITV4 this morning, after Pawn Stars (note to self, check spelling before getting excited), they were showing Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, so I recorded that and when my daughter was asleep, I watched it with my son, who loved it. I had to explain a couple of jokes (not "69, dudes!") but he loved the capers of Wyld Stallions.
        Similar experience as [MENTION=4034]Atticus[/MENTION], but different film!

Comment

Continuing our Ghibli run, we saw From Up On Poppy Hill this weekend. It was nice watching a non-fantasy Ghibli film.

Continuing our Marvel run, it was Hulk last night. I enjoyed it more than the first time I saw it. I think back then I was expecting something similar to Iron Man but this is quite different.

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
          Christoph Waltz is bloody brilliant, though, like a proper evil Rob Brydon evil Nazi chimp!
          Spot-on, mate

Comment

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
            The more recent remake that I remembered being rubbish but my memory had failed me and it was in fact appallingly bad, worse than the Wilder version at every moment.

Comment

Just watching The Departed on tv. Been a while since I've seen it but wow, Ray Winstone's accent ... how did Marty let that go?

Comment

Justice League

Not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Flash was hilarious.

Grave of the Fireflies

Yeah... I decided to watch this before our Ghibli museum visit on Monday.

It’s bleak, alright, to the point where couldn’t help wondering if this was Ghibli restoring the balance for all the cutesy cutesy stuff they make. It really is a must-see-but-only-once film.

Comment

War of the Arrows

Really enjoyed this. The movie is set during the Manchurian invasion of Korea in 1636, and focuses on a skilled archer attempting to save his kidnapped sister. It is a little slow to get going but those who stick with it are rewarded with a fantastic and tense finale with more than a nod to Mel Gibson's Apocalypto. Can't find a trailer that does the film justice but anyway:

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post

Grave of the Fireflies

Yeah... I decided to watch this before our Ghibli museum visit on Monday.

It’s bleak, alright, to the point where couldn’t help wondering if this was Ghibli restoring the balance for all the cutesy cutesy stuff they make. It really is a must-see-but-only-once film.
                    I’ve watched it once and once only will I ever watch it.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                      Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
                      The more recent remake that I remembered being rubbish but my memory had failed me and it was in fact appallingly bad, worse than the Wilder version at every moment.
                      I went to cinema to see this and it was the closest I've come to walking out. Its a terrible experience.

Comment

Live Free or Die Hard
                        Because that's still a better title than Die Hard 4.0 - still good fun.

Comment

MANDY. Visceral barely comes close.

Could be a tad shorter but gotta be seen.

Comment

Creed.
                            I mainly watched it to make space on the TiVo box, but it was pretty likeable but a serious lack of Eye of the Tiger and Gonna Fly Now.

Comment

Watched a few this week, Hatchet (decent retro slasher throwback but a bit *too* silly/cartoony at points tbh, some great gore), Green Room (not as good as they're making out, couldn't proper connect, a great slashed forearm effect tho) and Hot Tub Time Machine, which I'd been wanting to watch for ages but wasn't really funny at all. Best thing is Crispin Glover with his arm-related running gag. Sad, was hoping it would bring a lot of joy but small joy was all it had to offer.

Oh, and Bed Of The Dead off The Horror Channel last week. Not as bad as it sounds, low budget but well made, it's quite weird and for a movie about a killer demon bed, not played for laughs. Not the best movie ever and the characters act bizarrely stupid, plus it has a strange quantum element to it that might appeal to some though contains more holes than Rab C. Nesbitt's vest. Worth seeing? Maybe...kinda...it's that type of movie.

Comment

Just watched Factotum, Matt Dillon-starring Bukowski adaptation from a few years back.

Absolute sh!te.

I read the book yonks back and it was great but a movie could never capture the book. Matt Dillon wrongly cast as well, plus it's really dull and you really don't give a crap. Only thing good I can say is the locations look strikingly, vividly brilliant, amazing cinematography in this but all for nought.

Comment

Working...
                                X