Dreamcast and Saturn emulation on a CRT finally up to snuff :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brad View Post
    The one box for everything is appealing for sure.
    I'd pay two grand for a FPGA AIO that handles everything from a USB drive* and has RGB out.

*Actually, if I'm paying 2K I want to be able to neatly install a small HDD.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
      OK but is dramatic battle not in the Saturn version? I'm sure there's something missing from it.
      Other way around, I think it's called Reverse Dramatic Battle (may have got that wrong) is an extra mode in the Saturn version.
      3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
        I'd pay two grand for a FPGA AIO that handles everything from a USB drive* and has RGB out.

*Actually, if I'm paying 2K I want to be able to neatly install a small HDD.
        What systems would it have to emulate?

Comment

Glad this is all working Paul but it all seems so arse about face lol. Persuade old games designed to run on consoles connected to CRTs to instead run on a pc designed to output to an LCD and then persuade that pc to output to a CRT

Are you using original controllers? I guess the modern Xbox and ps pads are so good that they're actually better in most cases?
          Yup all original controllers, the advantage being with the new Retroarch build that you can set each system up as needed. With run ahead they actually have less latency than the original consoles. I've owned pretty much every main console ever released (as many of us have) and this is an excellent solution, as I no longer have the space or desire to have them all set up. It looks pretty much perfect with the added advantage of being to move the screen exactly to the pixel to get rid of the junk. I'm planning to make a video tomorrow, just hiding my Windows shell to boot straight into it. I'm always for original hardware, but it's just not feasible for me at the moment or dare I say it, now even preferred.

Comment

Would love a vid mate.

Run ahead?

Comment

What systems would it have to emulate?
              In order of importance:

CPS-II
              NeoGeo
              CPS-III
              Saturn
              PCE
              MegaDrive
              PSX
              SFC

Controllers would be handled by modular USB connectors.

Comment

[MENTION=9465]Brad[/MENTION]: I think it was covered on another thread but run ahead is where they run the emulation one or more a frames ahead of what is being displayed thus can serve up the next frame immediately after the user input has been read, thus reducing input lag. Its more complicated than that as the user input has the function of branching the next frame into a different gameplay output, thus a different rendered frame is required. There's a good article out there on it, probably. It's like all the time travel paradoxes you see in films but happening in your emulated Snes!

Slightly better explanation:
                Last edited by gunrock; 20-07-2018, 20:14.

Comment

Cheers [MENTION=278]gunrock[/MENTION] sounds like dark magic!

Comment

[MENTION=9465]Brad[/MENTION] et al.

Video is up - bit rambly! But covers most things. I also repeat 'Zero 3' about 1000 times :/ Turns out this runs everything from the NES to the Gamecube. Not bad for a £75.00 business PC.

Rough video made mainly for the guys and gals at Bordersdown forums. With the hideous eBay re-sale price of the Rhea/Phoebe chips and the general inability t...

Comment

Wow. That works really well!

Good job on setting it all up. My only question is where does one find the time to play all the games?!

Really like how convenient the setup is though. Perfect for hanging with a mate playing different games.

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
                        [MENTION=9465]Brad[/MENTION] et al.

Video is up - bit rambly! But covers most things. I also repeat 'Zero 3' about 1000 times :/ Turns out this runs everything from the NES to the Gamecube. Not bad for a £75.00 business PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d_z...ature=youtu.be
                        Great work, but I couldnt go back to the dc at 480i....

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                          Great work, but I couldnt go back to the dc at 480i....
                          You can go much higher than the original machine. I was just showing original resolutions.

Comment

Cheers Paul, great video. Tempted to downsize myself after seeing that!

Comment

Cheers Paul, great video. Tempted to downsize myself after seeing that!
                              I'm probably going to knock up a slightly more powerful, smaller micro it's build over the summer too

Comment

I've got a lush streacom case (looks like a slimline hifi amp) that will house a micro ATX. Might use that. Looking at putting a Ryzen 5 in there. Need to check that the passive copper pipe cooling system will be sufficient though

Comment

Working...
                                X