No announcement yet.

Dreamcast and Saturn emulation on a CRT finally up to snuff :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 30th anniversary collection really shows the superiority of Third Strike over Zero 3, especially as you can switch from one to the other in the same package. It's still fun to mess about on though.

Comment

I grew up playing CE and the Word Warrior in arcades and having played the series for years I agree that Third Strike Is technically superior; Ithink Zero 2 is a better game than Zero 3 objectively. However I have fond memories of Zero 3 and I prefer the art style over Third Strike. I agree Third Strike is a better game, but I still prefer Zero 3 for nostalgic reasons. I prefer the Saturn version of Battle Garegga over the arcade, purely for the nostalgia of owning a Saturn and playing it back in the day and associated memories.
      3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
        I was looking at the newest i5 7th gen Intel NUC as the single core clock seems to be better than the i7 model. I was checking the specs earlier, and I’m sure the integrated GPU was an Iris Pro 640 which seems to compare quite well with the Radeon...

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare...m262015vsm7719
        It needs to be compatible with Calamity's CRT Emu drivers ultimately, that's the key to getting it to output correctly. There is a res changer app alternative, but it's not as solid. I use a 256mb x600 in my arcade build and that's fine too, and is of course compatible with the drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
          I grew up playing CE and the Word Warrior in arcades and having played the series for years I agree that Third Strike Is technically superior; Ithink Zero 2 is a better game than Zero 3 objectively. However I have fond memories of Zero 3 and I prefer the art style over Third Strike. I agree Third Strike is a better game, but I still prefer Zero 3 for nostalgic reasons. I prefer the Saturn version of Battle Garegga over the arcade, purely for the nostalgia of owning a Saturn and playing it back in the day and associated memories.
          That's fair and I figured that's why you'd play Zero 3. I've got sorta fond memories playing the (not so great) PS1 version and even fire it up from time to time despite the CPS2 emulated version being available to me. Would love to get a Darksoft CPS2 down the line actually...

Comment

I can thoroughly understand why people rate Zero 2 over Zero 3. Zero 2's general playability and fanservice is brilliant.

But the reality is that Zero 3 is the best game in the trilogy (I'm saying that as somebody who prefers Zero 1 over 2 and 3!). The Zero trilogy improved considerably game by game and Zero 3 offers a crazily comprehensive multitude of different gameplay mechanics and thus different ways to play (refined ISMs, etc.).

The PSP port of Zero 3 is really, really good but badly hamstrung by the unsuited controls.

Comment

It needs to be compatible with Calamity's CRT Emu drivers ultimately, that's the key to getting it to output correctly. There is a res changer app alternative, but it's not as solid. I use a 256mb x600 in my arcade build and that's fine too, and is of course compatible with the drivers.
              Oh I have no intention of using it with a CRT... I’m trying to gauge what sort of power I need for 1080p over HDMI, or possibly 4K. Can never get a straight answer.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                Oh I have no intention of using it with a CRT... I’m trying to gauge what sort of power I need for 1080p over HDMI, or possibly 4K. Can never get a straight answer.
                Oh you've been able to do that for yonks mate As in accurate DC and Saturn emulation. Become decent a couple of years ago. I use a Sandybridge overclocked to 4.5ghz with a GTX 1060 6gb RAM on Windows 7 - it's overkill but was for Dolphin emulation at 1080p and above, resultedley runs everything fine. NullDC on my Plasma connected system is better than the Retroarch core on the CRT setup I have. Hope that helps. And yes Sonic Council plays fine, just loaded it up.

Comment

I'm probably wrong but I thought the World tour mode in Zero 3 on the PSX wasn't in the Saturn version? Also I know Sf3 is the better game but graphics style wise I prefer Zero 3. Some of the characters in Sf3 just look horrible to me too.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
                    I'm probably wrong but I thought the World tour mode in Zero 3 on the PSX wasn't in the Saturn version? Also I know Sf3 is the better game but graphics style wise I prefer Zero 3. Some of the characters in Sf3 just look horrible to me too.
                    It's in there mate. PSX you use it to unlock the characters, in Saturn they are already unlocked.

Comment

How are you connecting to the pvm,vga to rgb bnc plus a t-junction for the syncs? I couldnt get this to work was getting rolling picture! :/

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                        How are you connecting to the pvm,vga to rgb bnc plus a t-junction for the syncs? I couldnt get this to work was getting rolling picture! :/
                        Yup exactly. Did you install Calamity's CRT drivers? The other way is go VGA to UMSA adapter to RGB scart with a BNC to Female Scart socket from retrogamingcables coming from the PVM.

Comment

Glad this is all working Paul but it all seems so arse about face lol. Persuade old games designed to run on consoles connected to CRTs to instead run on a pc designed to output to an LCD and then persuade that pc to output to a CRT

Are you using original controllers? I guess the modern Xbox and ps pads are so good that they're actually better in most cases?

Comment

Well I didn't want to be the one to say it, but I was thinking the same thing.

But I'm very firmly in the authenticity camp so of course I'm going to think that. It is interesting to see what is possible though, I suppose.

Comment

The one box for everything is appealing for sure.

Comment

It's in there mate. PSX you use it to unlock the characters, in Saturn they are already unlocked.
                                OK but is dramatic battle not in the Saturn version? I'm sure there's something missing from it.

Comment

Working...
                                X