Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Is America? (Sacha Baron Cohen's new TV programme)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Involved wanting her finger up his bum iirc.

Comment

Isla’s fingers might not have the girth he requires

Comment

I wayched the second ep but don't think he's got a killer character like Borat or Bruno.

Closest thing is Erran but very one-dimensional.

When I saw the American guy with the arse out I was cringing thinking wtf. But not laughing as much as I should've been.

It's not funny enough.

Comment

The character that wound up the residents of a town in Arizona by telling them the building of a huge mosque would boost the local economy, was quite entertaining, but didn't really make me laugh.

The whole first episode just left me feeling that Sacha has run out of steam. The new show felt outdated and far from edgy. It just didn't feel like comedy to me, more like someone trying hard to take the piss out of people.

Looking back, the only time I've really enjoyed Sacha as a comedian, is when he played Ali G. There was an energy and enthusiasm to that, which made it feel fun and quite amusing at times.

I think Sacha should maybe give up playing comedy characters. Maybe take a different approach to comedy, because his style is really stale at this point.

I much prefer what the guy behine Fonejacker and Facejacker did. I wish Kayvan Novak would do more of that.
          Last edited by Leon Retro; 28-07-2018, 06:54.

Comment

I prefer Ali G because of what he ‘represented’ - London yoofs. To the interviewees, he was a homegrown yoof who they probably thought they could get through to. Or look like they were hip to the groove.

Brüno’s a gay German and Borat is from Kazakhstan but the kinds of people Ali G interviewed likely wouldn’t have agreed to be interviewed by those two. Brüno wouldn’t interview Tony Benn, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
              I prefer Ali G because of what he ‘represented’ - London yoofs. To the interviewees, he was a homegrown yoof who they probably thought they could get through to. Or look like they were hip to the groove.
              It worked because Sacha was a lot younger back then. He had the energy and enthusiasm to perform Ali G as a sort of parody cartoon character. It wasn't brilliant comedy, but I thought it was lighthearted fun.

When Sacha gradually tried to be more edgy and vulgar, I didn't really enjoy the change of tone. So I wasn't a fan of Borat or Bruno. But I know Borat was successful, so it's just not my cup of tea.

It was funny when people thought Ali G was a real person who represented the "yoof." Ali G was an over the top, idiot sort of character, and it was just harmless fun. The darker path Sacha chose to walk doesn't appeal to me. I don't think his recent work is very funny, but it was a bit interesting see how people behaved around his new characters in Who is America? I really wish it had made me laugh, because there's not much decent comedy on tv these days.
              Last edited by Leon Retro; 30-07-2018, 02:02.

Comment

Watched tonight's. It made me laugh a bit more. The bald guy is getting kinda funny, growing on me. But I can't believe how they don't immediately see through him, it's weird.

Comment

The bit where he was interviewing the rapper and the other guy was pure cringe. I almost couldn't take it. I was so glad when it was over.

The rap battle was wicked, though. Here's an interview with the rapper he faced:

Comment

I find the show too frightening to be funny. The sexism, bigotry, racism, ignorance and narcissism portrayed by Ali G, Borat and Bruno was hysterical because they were scripted characters. It was make believe. But seeing real people say "we only tolerate blacks" or championing giving guns to toddlers is just scary.

Comment

Watched the last ep about half an hour back.

God, it's all been really quite rubbish, hasn't it?

Comment

The OJ skit was brilliant, though!

Comment

Isn't that old news now?? Soft target, I thought.

Didn't laugh. In fact I was hoping O.J. would stab him in the neck tbh, that character is the worst of the lot.

Comment

Just before the airing of the final episode last night on Showtime, Sacha Baron Cohen used Twitter to confirm that his half-hour mockumentary series “Who is America?” won’t be returning. Baron Cohen took on several roles in the show which premiered last month to soft ratings and mixed reviews. The series scored a lot of […]

Cohen has confirmed there won't be a second season

Comment

Working...
                            X