Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£130 loool

Comment

How big are the controllers? And are they any good? Was thinking I could mod them with proper NEO GEO Cables if they're any good.
      The actual console looks like an awful idea made real though.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
        How big are the controllers? And are they any good? Was thinking I could mod them with proper NEO GEO Cables if they're any good.
        They are replicas of the Neo cd pads, apparently they don’t feel the same so I’m not sure if they are any good either, I’ll buy any old crap tho

Comment

That price is disgraceful it retails for £80 in japan so a nice UK £50 markup ripoff europe in full effect. But saying that i have one with 2 pads coming at some point, thankfully it cost me absolutely nothing. Amazon gift cards FTW, wouldnt have been getting one if it was my own cash as that price is just greed.

Weird how the extra bezel stickers are not available to buy like in Japan, they went on sale the exact same time as the preorders did.
          Last edited by importaku; 10-09-2018, 13:46.

Comment

One interesting difference between the 2 regions is the placement of the power led, been looking at the pics of the international version as i haven't looked at it too closely since it was announced. On the Japanese version it's on the front of the unit near the right speaker grill but on the international version they have moved it to the joystick there is a now translucent ring around the joytick that glows blue when it's powered on thought it was just coloured plastic but apparently not. Seems the joystick panel has been changed too as it has angular recessed bits on the corners where as the Japanese version is totally flat as they provide a sticker to put on the button panel.

Seems odd that they would not just use the same moulds for all the regions.

Last edited by importaku; 10-09-2018, 18:30.

Comment

WHHHAAAAT? Isn't it meant to be £85?

Are the pads USB? As I might get one.

EDIT: Hmm, they're USB-c. I've put in a pre-order but might have to think about it.
              Last edited by Asura; 11-09-2018, 08:08.

Comment

If this was a bartop and had proper controls it would make so much more sense, I just don't get it as is.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                  If this was a bartop and had proper controls it would make so much more sense, I just don't get it as is.
                  It will be interesting to see if it being aimed at the mass market will be a wise decision. There's no doubt that enthusiast retro gamers would have preferred a far bigger bartop sort of machine that looked like a high quality piece of kit, even if it cost £400. The SNK brand would have still made it attractive at that sort of high price.

I definitely don't think it's going to sell well in the UK, because the price is way too high. £99 might have guaranteed a reasonable amount of sales, but being £130 is probably going to kill its chances of being an attractive item.
                  Last edited by Leon Retro; 11-09-2018, 10:19.

Comment

Yeah at that price they are certainly going to kill demand, in Japan the preorders sold out pretty fast. But here we are a day later and everything is still available on Amazon uk £130 is way too high but they will probably discover that too when they realise it's not selling as well as it could be.

They probably looked at how well Nintendos machines sold & thought they can get away with that price.

Be warned though about those USBc pads they will not work on anything else despite having that connector, people have tried them on pc's and other machines & they are not detected there's something in the pads stopping them simply connecting & the same for the mini itself it will not accept other controllers. Hopefully hacking will sort out that problem for people who want to use the pads elsewhere.

Comment

Nintendo has far greater brand pull than SNK. I think Leon is right - this kind of falls between two markets that might have worked. One is the easy punt, but the price point is wrong here. The other is the hardcore enthusiast who might have paid a good deal more for something much more functional. I like the idea of this but the size just feels too small from what I have seen in the pics and I wouldn't drop this money to try it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                        Nintendo has far greater brand pull than SNK.
                        And Nintendo even reduced the price of the NES Mini to £50 with the second batch. The SNES Mini comes with 2 pads.for £70.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                        I think Leon is right - this kind of falls between two markets that might have worked. One is the easy punt, but the price point is wrong here.
                        Thinking about the mass market, I think SNK should probably be charging £79.99. I just don't think loads of people will be prepared to pay £100+ for something they don't have nostalgia for, even if they might think it looks quite interesting. Of course, some retro gamers who have a thing for the Neo Geo brand will grab one, but I have a feeling many will wait for the price to come down quite a bit. If SNK wants to take advantage of the general interest in retro gaming, they really need to bring the price down to under £100.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                          Be warned though about those USBc pads they will not work on anything else despite having that connector, people have tried them on pc's and other machines & they are not detected there's something in the pads stopping them simply connecting & the same for the mini itself it will not accept other controllers. Hopefully hacking will sort out that problem for people who want to use the pads elsewhere.
                          Thanks for this info.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            Thanks for this info.
                            might not always be the case but till now i haven't read of anyone getting those pads working on anything else yet. Hopefully this thing gets hacked to unlock it's full potentail but until more are in the hands of gamers we won't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                              Not microswitched so probably nothing special I guess. Look cool though. Probably really fiddly to solder real Neo wires onto though, given the size. Project abandoned.

Comment

Yeah just a plain analogue stick in both the machine & the pads, while it's not entirely terrible it's also not a patch on the original clicky click ones either. Thankfully metal slug doesn't require crazy inputs so i'm relieved on that front, however from various vids the fighting games do seem to be playable if you are into that kind of game.

Weird that i'm looking forward to this thing as much as i am seeing as Neo stuff really isn't my bag but there we go. I blame Nintendo and their damn minis as now i'm on a retro nostalgia wave, i haven't had this much gaming fun in years. Been consuming retro games like a machine.

Comment

Working...
                                X