Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What term to use for a TV that takes...

... most forms of signal?

Bit of background. For video capture purposes, we're buying a couple of TVs for my office. We're not bothered about their display quality, in fact poor quality is better if cheaper in this case as we're not really going to watch them.

We plan to use them in the process of capturing video from external devices - consoles, old cameras, all sorts of devices - so we want a TV which can take inputs from most things we can throw at it.

So HDMI's fine. Also no need for RF input; I don't believe we'd be capturing from the Megadrive for example.

Assume I wanted something which can take HDMI along with...

The Sega Saturn
    The Dreamcast
    The PS2/1
    The Xbox
    The GameCube
    The N64
    A range of camcorders and video devices which use SCART and 3-phono outputs

... All with their out-of-the-box or at least easy-to-obtain cables. No modding.

The video is to be kept for reference, not really for aesthetic quality.

So what am I looking for with TVs? I honestly don't understand how those older inputs work. What's the difference between RGB SCART and just SCART? What's S-VHS? What connections can go through an adaptor and which ones can't?

Most older lcds should have a scart / composite (with phono plugs) / vga and s-video input

For every console on that list, RGB scart should be fine (except the pal n64, which would be composite /svideo). The dreamcast can output 640x480, via vga, but a vga box is required. If poorer video quality is better, you are certainly going down the right route!

From Ultra Fast Full Fibre broadband to TV & Mobile, BT helps UK families, communities & companies reach their potential. Find more BT products here.

Comment

Very curious on the capture setup that needs TVs.

Anyway, there’s this new gadget called RetroTink-2x which converts Composite, Component and S-video to HDMI, and people have used it with video equipment along with games consoles.

From your list of consoles, dvdx2 has already mentioned N64, there’s a caveat with the GameCube too - only PAL models support RGB natively, NTSC models switched it to s-video.

Comment

As far as RGB scart goes I think i'ts more to do with the wiring you have on the cable. When got my PlayStation at launch the official RBG Scart cable wasn't out so I bought any old cable which only had a few pins wired up, the picture looked better than RF on my Sony telly but still a little muddy, when I bought the original one which was fully wired it was like night and day, the telly was transformed into a monitor and every pixel could clearly be seen.

S-VHS is Super VHS which was an upgraded system giving better picture quality;

Tellies that can receive PAL/NTSC/SECAM used to be called multi-region or multi-system.
        Last edited by Anpanman; 19-07-2018, 15:15.

Comment

Originally posted by mmmonkey View Post
          Very curious on the capture setup that needs TVs.
          They're not absolutely necessary, but just convenient to have. Some of the capture cards are external and record straight onto MicroSD, using a passthrough. Also, having maybe 2 TVs which can also view stuff will be useful.

Comment

Working...
          X