No announcement yet.

Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always wanted to pick up another Amiga but I think I'd get more enjoyment out of a C64. Space is the issue as ever.

I haven't bought much retro stuff recently but I did run across these in town today,

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
      Wait for v4 of vampire for full aga.
      Even though I already have a couple of Amigas I'm really tempted to buy the standalone v4 when it becomes available.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
        I haven't bought much retro stuff recently but I did run across these in town today,
        "Lumines" is always awesome, of course, but what the hell is "Echoes"? Looks interesting, judging by the cover.
        ....wait, was it this isometric puzzler game in which a character traverse black and white Escher-style levels and created echoes of himself?

Meanwhile I got another game for the fighting club:

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
          Even though I already have a couple of Amigas I'm really tempted to buy the standalone v4 when it becomes available.
          Same. As its own thing I think the Vampire is excellent, I just don't think it belongs in an old, otherwise working, Amiga; It (especially v4) just takes over everything including all the custom chips so at that point what are you even doing? In some respects you may as well run an emulator if speed is what you're after because that will be faster than a Vampire even. Creation of a new Amiga though with e.g. the new Amiga 1500 project case and a Vampire inside it I am all up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuray View Post
            "Lumines" is always awesome, of course, but what the hell is "Echoes"? Looks interesting, judging by the cover.
            ....wait, was it this isometric puzzler game in which a character traverse black and white Escher-style levels and created echoes of himself?

Meanwhile I got another game for the fighting club:

That is a badass cover and yep, Echoshift is exactly that. I thought it was the first game in the series but it's actually the sequel to Echochrome.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
              The Amiga had great hardware, by far the best out there during the eighties, and certainly enough to compete with the 16-bit consoles during the early/mid-nineties. We all know why it fell short all too often.

What I wonder is what might’ve happened had Commodore licenced the hardware to a Japanese manufacturer(s) a la Microsoft with the MSX? When I look at the very pretty but ultimately crap Elfmania, I wonder what Capcom could’ve done with the hardware had they handled the SF2 port themselves?

Looking at the stunning Lionheart, what might Konami have produced had they released a version of Castlevania for the machine? Might it have had similar quality output to the X68k and FM Towns? Sure the specs weren’t quite up to those machines on the stock A500 but I’m pretty sure the A1200 was there or thereabouts.
              I've always wondered what top Japanese devs would have done with the A500 if it had been popular in Japan. As you say -- Elfmania & Lionheart really show off the hardware, so we can only imagine how nice Japanese fighters and action games could have been. Konami could have no doubt created a stunning Castlevania for the machine.

The X68k would still have been far better tech though, simply because it cost thousands and had really nice graphics hardware. But the Amiga could still do really impressive things for a £400 computer.

The huge problem with the A1200 is it doesn't have graphics hardware that would have helped it run games like Doom. The Jaguar & 3DO and later machines have GPU tech that really helps the relatively weak CPU. But the A1200 doesn't really have sufficient tech to help out the 14MHz CPU. Commodore should have delivered much more capable AGA hardware for a higher price, because trying to make a computer capable of running Doom for £399 was never going to happen.
              Last edited by Leon Retro; 18-11-2018, 12:20.

Comment

Furia 68020 Accelerator arrived. Fitted and working in 2 minutes and now my A600 is almost 13x faster than stock and 5x quicker than an A1200 and 50% quicker than an A3000. Very pleased. In addition I now have 2MB Chip memory and 10.5MB fast. And finally I am able to load Kickstart roms into fast ram so I am keeping the 2.0 Kickstart chip in there and during boot it loads 3.1 and reboots. All good.

First improvement I noticed was workbench speed but it also means that my serial transfers between PC and Amiga which were previously limited to 38,400 baud can now be set at 115,200 (serial port is unbuffered on Amigas so CPU limited). Amazing I got serial transfer working at all really as my laptop is Linux, with no serial port, with a USB to serial adapter connected (no driver installed), running Win10 in a VM with COM1 mapped to /dev/ttyUSB0 and it worked first time. Well... it worked the first time I tried it with the serial cable actually plugged into my Amiga; there was a 45 minute period prior to that with a lot of cursing. What a muppet.

Pics once I've tidied it all up. I need some replacement keycaps as well as some of these are a bit yellowed. 2 options here though, replacement keycaps or... kipper2k is making complete replacement Cherry keyboards. Decisions!

EDIT: Imagine if whenever Intel released a new CPU these days it went 13x quicker than the last one. Performance iterations actually meant something back in the day.

Comment

Never mind all that pish, what does that add on the gaming front?

Comment

Well, I’m gonna be downloading stunt car racer, formula 1 Grand Prix and Frontier. All awesome games in their day, but the frame rate probably not holding up these days but as the frame rate is directly linked to cpu speed I’m expecting them to run pretty nicely. I’ll put up a video of them all.

Comment

lol stunt car racer doesn’t. not all games work like that. elite will fly though. no pun.

Comment

Awwwww disappointing. I know F1 and Elite will and I just hoped stunt car would as it’s also by Crammond (F1)

Comment

Me too, that’s how I found out. Someone has done a turbo version, but it’s not perfect.

Comment

Cmon mate, I want some pics of this thing.

Comment

Finally.

Maybe some of you noticed my eternal WTB thread regarding this. I eventually found a copy through eBay, in Venezuela of all places. It had to be US-NTSC one because I want to play in 60Hz and the PAL game wouldn't do that without errors, or so I have read.
                              Can't wait to take a run at this with a friend!

Comment

Ugh. Think keyboard membrane knackered on the A600. Hitting thr minus key instead output \-0987654321` which is the row of keys right next to minus. I took the keyboard apart and cleaned the membrane and so far so good but deffo getting a replacement Cherry keyboard when kipper finishes making them I guess.

Anyway, network card arrived so trying to get online. Much faffing about needed but tomorrow I'll hopefully be able to join the Bordersdown IRC on it.

In other news my 6pin din cable arrived and I got the Commodore 1541 disk drive working. Needed a fair bit of silicon oil on the rails and I almost gave up at one point but now it's working.

Realise this is all a bit boring but now I'm ready to stick some games on the amiga this afternoon and get some photos up.
                                Last edited by Brad; 23-11-2018, 07:06.

Comment

Working...
                                X