• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    Cuphead looks like an old cartoon
    The only XBO game I wish was on PS4.

Comment

Ah, who cares about SOR4 being 'authentic', a quarter of a freakin century has passed, this will never ever be as 'real' as SOR3 PAL version, possibly the worst version of a game that really wasn't raved about that much at the time. It's 25 ****in years!

If it was as good as the Strider reboot I'd be happy. I'm not expecting brill, just something that plays similar and is slick.

I want it to feel punchy. If it feels floaty like Double Dragon Neon, then it's dead in the water or the piss-sac of a dead old drunk.

Most nightmarish scenario would be if the guys who did the Rocket Knight remake were drafted in to boost it up. Jesus, you don't know what bad **** my mind creates.

Comment

To play through, I prefer the first. The punches are faster and longer and it just flies by with its varied environs.

And then you get to that lift level with not many credits left and suddenly discover a brilliant technique to lob baddies quickly off the sides to a very squishy death as a 90s neon city skyscape slowly looms into view with pumpin 90s techno beats poppin off in the background.

With hindsight, I think SOR1 is the funnest SOR game, it's just plain fun and cool.

Comment

It's a new side-scrolling fighting game - as long as it doesn't get terrible reviews, I'll probably buy it.

I've never been a massive fan of the series though - the attacks just don't connect in that satisfying way that they do in Final Fight. Perhaps it's the smaller sprite size.

Comment

I'd disagree slightly in the sense that Axel in SOR2 and Bare Knuckle 3 feels like one of the baddest-arsed, most thwacky, violent, coolest beat 'em up characters of all time. Just feels like a steroided-up, PCP-ed up Cody with less speed but more savage aggression. All the other characters in SOR2&3 I'd agree were wack.

1 is a different beast, it's slightly more floaty/rubbery and less beefed-up than later instalments. ALL the characters are fun to play as, tbh, but I like long attacks and Adam has these amazing long-legged flying kicks that feel so ace. Adam probably the funnest character in SOR1.

But as a game, it's an entirely different game to the later ones, in terms of feel and speed, it's its own thang to me.

Comment

I usually have to play SoR as Blaze. It's annoying because she does such little damage but I have big trouble with the Blaze twins otherwise. With Blaze, I just face away, wait for them to jump in, and press B+C to do the backwards kick. Rinse and repeat.

I love how agressive the enemies in SoR are compared with SoR2. In SoR, they'll just walk up to you and start punching. In SoR2 they'll circle you for a while like a kung fu film.

Also, SoR is shorter which I like. I find scrolling beat-em ups are boring as heck outside of their main cool feature (e.g. SoR's music, TMNT's license).

I play as Max in SoR2. He's so powerful and I just use his -> -> B slide attack to move forward more quickly.

Comment

Max *could* be great because he feels like he could break bones but he generally fights with tiny wrestling slaps!

He was such a wasted opportunity, to me, but I like playing fighting games as a bonecracker but he was fighting with slaps...and I think Max needed more transitional animations, felt like a Neo Geo sprite but didn't animate like one.

God, I'm getting old and moany. Next time I play SOR2 it will be Max's moment. I just wish he had a great punch!

God knows what was going on with the robot old man in SOR3, in theory it sounds amusing but in practice it is so so the opposite. What the fucct were they thinking??!!!

Comment

Max was awesome! He had that huge punch which could land four times from elbow to fist. Not to mention his knee back breaker that caned energy bars.

Comment

Max is all about the grapples. Grab and slam-dunk, no getting up from that.

I always play as Adam in SoR. His reach means you can keep people at bay. Also, with all the characters, if you find yourself surrounded, alternate between left and right while hammering attack and you can continue your combo on different opponents.

Comment

The sound of the back breaker is wicked.

KSHHHHHHHHHHH

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                        Ah, who cares about SOR4 being 'authentic', a quarter of a freakin century has passed,
                        I don't want it to be "authentic" -- I just want to like the graphic style. I think it's possible to deliver higher res old school style 2D pixel art, which I think could look far more attractive than how clipart flat the graphic style in this is. Artists during the 16-bit era and into 32-bit knew how to create really nice 2D graphics with clever shading etc... I've always admired the skill in that -- and I see no reason why those techniques can't be used just because a game is running in HD. To my eyes -- 2D graphics that look like flat clipart feel cheap and uninspiring.

You can scale up a game like Final Fight to HD and it still looks really attractive. So if a 1989 game can still inspire people with its graphics, I'm pretty sure skilled artists to take that look and style into HD with stunning results. You surely don't need the flat, lifeless clipart look.

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post

With hindsight, I think SOR1 is the funnest SOR game, it's just plain fun and cool.
                        I get really bored with SOR1 after a few levels, simply because it's a slow game with samey action. SOR2 moves at a quicker pace and is far more action packed. I always enjoy playing through every level of SOR2. I did think SOR1 was a fun game though when I got it for Xmas 1991.
                        Last edited by Leon Retro; 11-10-2018, 08:22.

Comment

Max is no Haggar, but he's still got a nice repertoire of moves.

I normally go for Blaze, because she's got a nice balletic mix of moves ("Ah-too-too-ta!") and her throw is great for clearing enemies.

I think I'm talking about SoR2 as that's the one that sticks in my memory the most with mental images of the bridge, the theme park with aliens and the pitcher's mound that's actually an elevator. THe main thing I remember about SoR1 is the special move where the police car turns up and fires a bazooka!

It'd be interesting to see if [MENTION=2625]randombs[/MENTION]' observations about enemy aggression is true and if it was a design decision or a limitation from more characters and so on.

Also, shout out to the music of SoR2. I've said before, but I remember watching the Mean Machines MegaCD preview VHS and the previews at the end where Axel is fighting his way through a bar and emerges out the back into the loading area and the music drops, the rain storm starts and the boss unfolds his arms and comes at you as the boss music starts up. H'amaze!

Still no news on if Yuzo Koshiro is working on the soundtrack though.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                            I see no reason why those techniques can't be used just because a game is running in HD.
                            Because you're not a pixel artist. Making art in HD gives different results by its very nature. I have had a good look at these new assets and, as it happens, those same techniques are used here. They just give a different end product because it's not pixel art.

Comment

Looking at Blaze’s legs in QC’s SoR2 gif, I see five colours from white to dark brown. For the SoR gif below that, I see three colours. In the SoR4 image, I see two main colours(light skin colour and shadowed skin colour) and then darker lines for the knees.

Now, the palette is a lot broader and I think there’s a gradient thing going on(and blurring for the shadow which adds shades) but it looks ‘flatter’ than the MD shots.

When you talk about different results, is it that the MD resolution is low enough that you can get away with 1-2pixel width gradations to signify depth but you can’t really do that with HD art? If I’m drawing pixel stuff, I’m working like that, but if I’m doing something in higher res, I’m usually using a soft brush or airbrush to darken the edges of the legs to show depth.

Is it an issue of feasibility, considering the artists need to create many frames of animation which would take forever?

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                                Looking at Blaze’s legs
                                Perv.

Comment

Working...
                                X