Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    Basically, it's "A Squash and a Squeeze":

I loved reading this one to my kids, up there with Room on the Broom!

Comment

Room on the Broom and Tiddler were tonight's stories!

We love Julia Donaldson around here!

Comment

I do a great reading of Room on the Broom. My witch is second to none. “Down!”

Comment

I was thinking as I read it how other dads read it.
          My Dragon sounds like the bad guy from Rogue Nation.
          My Gruffalo sounds like Grant Mitchell.

Comment

Ah, the delights of Julia Donaldson ... she's written so many corkers she can't be far behind JK Rowling in the riches stakes. I do miss the days/nights of reading to the boys at bedtime ... our fave was Mr Big by Ed Vere. And one I still have from my childhood that my granddad used to read to me: Leo Leggins and the Gigantic Giant

Comment

The first Fifteen Lives of Harry August has the end cropped off so I need to track another version down!
              It was good, though and took an interesting twist about halfway through. Personally, I preferred Replay, which is still one of my favourite books.

Through a series of mixed USB mishaps, I'm currently reading three books:
              The Solomon Curse (Fargo Adventure, #7)
              Kill Switch (Joe Ledger, #8)
              Ice Station (Shane Schofield, #1)

All of which are just silly, fun action romps, but it's what I need at the minute.

Comment

We love Julia Donaldson around here!
                Here too, we have most of her books, a couple of them first (hardback) editions.
                My favourite is The Smartest Giant in Town.

On holiday I read Die Trying by Lee Child and The Whistler by John Grisham, both of them good, the Grisham book being one of his best - I've read nearly all of them, only second to The Rainmaker. A lot of the critics seem to agree.
                Last edited by Anpanman; 13-09-2018, 10:12.

Comment

Finally got round to picking up Finders Keepers (book 2 in Stephen King's Bill Hodges trilogy) and like Mr Mercedes it's a fun little yarn. Enjoying it.

Also, I was off work yesterday and found time to sit in the sun and read Akira book 1. Absolutely brilliant. The artwork is just amazing, with panels that seem to be alive with detail and motion. Characters' personalities are expertly defined without any cheesy exposition. Brilliant as the film is, you can tell after just book one it's merely snapshots of a much bigger story. I still love the film, but I think the comic may become my primary way of enjoying Akira, with the film an extremely nice companion piece.

Comment

Fear: Donald Trump in the White House by Bob Woodward.

Had ordered the hardback but delivery got delayed for a month - not sure if that was down to demand. It's quite the fascinating read. If you thought Trump was dumb before reading this book, be prepared for your stupid level to increase.

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
                      Here too, we have most of her books, a couple of them first (hardback) editions.
                      My favourite is The Smartest Giant in Town.
                      Wow, first edition hardback! Amazing!
                      Get them signed!
                      Zog is quite good and I need to get the sequel.

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
                      On holiday I read Die Trying by Lee Child
                      Reacher #2 is still pretty good. By book 4, I found them a bit samey and 5 was rrrrubbish. 6 was a lot better though.

If you like Jack Reacher, check out the John Milton series by Mark Dawson. They're usually on offer on Amazon (I think they free for Prime subs atm) and they're worth every penny. Much prefer the series to Reacher's.
                      Book One is called The Cleaner.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                        Fear: Donald Trump in the White House by Bob Woodward.

Had ordered the hardback but delivery got delayed for a month - not sure if that was down to demand. It's quite the fascinating read. If you thought Trump was dumb before reading this book, be prepared for your stupid level to increase.
                        I tried reading Fire and Fury, but I found it too infuriating.

Comment

Wow, first edition hardback! Amazing!
                          Not sure it's that amazing - or perhaps they aren't first editions? When they came out you could only get the hardbacks so that's what we went for.

Reacher #2 is still pretty good. By book 4, I found them a bit samey and 5 was rrrrubbish. 6 was a lot better though.

If you like Jack Reacher, check out the John Milton series by Mark Dawson. They're usually on offer on Amazon (I think they free for Prime subs atm) and they're worth every penny. Much prefer the series to Reacher's.
                          Book One is called The Cleaner.
                          Thanks very much for this, I'll be honest I had a feeling this may be the case, I preferred no.1 over no.2 but even though it (Die Trying) was a good read the theme was very similar, big crime/event, picks the baddies off one-by-one brutally, gets a shag, saves the day and disappears into the sunset.

Think Grisham in comparison has been cute as even though most of his books are about law/legal system they are all different and at least one could actually be written about another career type.

I'll get the cleaner and give it a try thanks again.

Comment

Just finished Duhe Messiah and am starting Children of Dune.

Found some decent PDFs that had been formatted correctly and converted those for Kindle. So far, so good. The files I read before had no line breaks at all. Imagine that.

I might bring the paperbacks home with me when I visit my parents over Christmas if they’re still there. The books, I mean, not my parents.

Comment

Shambhala The Sacred Path of the Warrior

This classic guide to enlightened living is about basic goodness and wisdom and how one can disover and manifest. The teaching has so many parallels with Buddhism that I would go so far as to say it's a secular form of Buddhism. At it's heart the book is about the same sort of warriorship that Morihei Uesha (the dude who founded Akido) talked about in The Art of Peace. In the west our idea of warriorship is someone strong and unbending, someone who goes out and defeats external enemies - but we fail to recognise that kind of warrior acts from a place of fear and hatred. The warriorship described here radiates love and tenderness and forgiveness. His enemies are within: Greed. Fear. Self-centredness.

As always, a few choice quotes:

“Enlightenment is ego's ultimate disappointment.”

“Warriorship is a continual journey. To be a warrior is to learn to be genuine in every moment of your life.”

"Decency is the absence of strategy. It is of utmost importance to realize that the warrior’s approach should be simple-minded sometimes, very simple and straightforward. That makes it very beautiful: you having nothing up your sleeve; therefore a sense of genuineness comes through. That is decency.”

“Real fearlessness is the product of tenderness. It comes from letting the world tickle your heart, your raw and beautiful heart. You are willing to open up, without resistance or shyness, and face the world. You are willing to share your heart with others.”

“But meditation is a life’s work. You cease to sit and meditate in this life when the last breath runs out of your body on your deathbed.”

“The idea is not to regard the spiritual path as something very luxurious and pleasurable but to see it as just facing the facts of life.”

“Why do you need to reassure yourself? That need for reassurance is precisely the point: We feel that something is leaking, but we don’t want to acknowledge it as such. There is a hole somewhere in our life that we try to plug up. All our posturing is a sign that we are just about to realize that we don’t exist in the way we thought we did. We actually know that intuitively. Yet we keep on trying to prove ourselves to ourselves, to ensure that we will survive.”

Deep, man,
                              Last edited by Zen Monkey; 20-09-2018, 15:01.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                                Just finished Duhe Messiah and am starting Children of Dune.

Found some decent PDFs that had been formatted correctly and converted those for Kindle. So far, so good. The files I read before had no line breaks at all. Imagine that.

I might bring the paperbacks home with me when I visit my parents over Christmas if they’re still there. The books, I mean, not my parents.
                                How do you convert pdf files to other ebook formats? That would be really handy for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X