Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you had only one month to live...

How would you spend it?

Most of us don't like to think about death. In Western culture we're encouraged to avoid thinking about it, to sweep it under the carpet, and that's unfortunate as it can be a hugely beneficial practice. Read any philosopher, saint or sage worth a lick of salt - they all talk about death with fanatical regularity. They're obsessed with death and meditate on it daily. But far from making them morbid or depressed or hopeless, it focuses their attention on the here and now. Helps them appreciate this fleeting moment. They find incredible joy, not sorrow, in the impermanence of all things.

So, let's say you discovered you had one more month to live. How would you spend it? Would you carry on as normal? Quit your job? Spend more time with family? Go on that holiday you always wanted? Indulge in a weeks-long, hedonistic feast of sex and drugs maybe? How would you feel? Depressed? Calm? A victim? You can't know with certainty how you'd react, of course, but think about it deeply, how do you feel you would react, how do you think you would spend those final days?

I’d go grab the kids straight from school and take them on the month long adventure of their lives, maxing out all my credit cards in the process.

It’d be one last ‘up yours’ to their stupid bitch mother and something crazy for them to remember me by.
    Last edited by _SD_; 12-09-2018, 13:27.

Comment

Why not.

Comment

Same as SD really

First 2 weeks I'd take Chloe & family to Florida so I could see Chloe experience it
        Then go with everyone for 10 days to Vegas & gamble that **** away

Lastly come home for the last few days, be surrounded by family again & remember the past, look at old pics, watch family movies & just enjoy the compnany

Then close my eyes & quitely go

Neil

Comment

I'd go on a Michael Douglas "Falling Down" style rampage...

...starting with Nandos.

Comment

I'd definitely not quit my job. I'd see how far I could push them before forcing them to fire me

"How'd that s*** get on the ceiling?!"

Comment

Good thread [MENTION=16623]Zen Monkey[/MENTION], now tell us what you'd do!

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                I'd go on a Michael Douglas "Falling Down" style rampage...

...starting with Nandos.
                I was gonna mention rampages as something people might feel like doing in the opening post as it's often those who feel they have nothing to live for who go on killing sprees.

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                Good thread [MENTION=16623]Zen Monkey[/MENTION], now tell us what you'd do!
                My answer is quite boring I'm afraid. I'm pretty content in life (most of the time) so probably wouldn't change much. I'd quit my job but probably go into work one last time, just to bid farewell. I don't think I'd go spend the remaining time with my family. I love them dearly but I think it would be too heavy, too much sentiment, not enough joy. I'd spent more time playing with my dogs, more time out in nature, more time meditating. Less time online, less time playing games, less time reading. I'd certainly get high one last time. I'd take a 'hero dose' as it is known in psychedelic circles. When Socrates was sentenced to death, he remarked that those close to death are gifted prophetic power. Prophetic power & shrooms = surely a great trip.

Comment

I'd make chocolate brownies. I've never made chocolate brownies.

Comment

Good call. Still gotta eat. Why not eat well.

Comment

As well as family stuff, I'd do a bunch of stuff I was too scared to do before. Like massive MTB gap jumps and snowboarding down a daftly steep couloir.

Comment

I'd breaking bad that **** up for sure. I'd earn as much cash for my family while I was still alive rather than work up a massive debt for them to pay off.

Comment

I'd pull a Rimmer and kick death in the nuts

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Monkey View Post
                            When Socrates was sentenced to death, he remarked that those close to death are gifted prophetic power.
                            I should expand on that remark. Socrates wasn't suggesting we inherit supernatural powers that defy the laws of nature. Only that those near to death undergo a shift in consciousness which grants them greater insight.

I remember reading an interview with an actor who was diagnosed with leukemia and given a few days to live. The actor, by his own admittance, wasn't a spiritual man or a deep thinker, yet the news he would soon die sent him into a state of profundity. He said he became acutely aware of what was and wasn't worthwhile; that his intolerance for bull**** increased dramatically while, paradoxically, he gained a much more open mind. He would visit a park between treatments, a park he had visited for years, but only now could he see beauty in it. Trees he had seen and passed by a hundred times now bewitched him with their magnificence. He said it felt like his eyes had been opened. It was a good interview and it made me think of Socrates' comment.
                            Last edited by Zen Monkey; 13-09-2018, 15:00.

Comment

If I had only a month to live, well I’d try to meet up with a few of you lot on here. I’d also crash my black F40 for fun, just to annoy Ferrari nerds.

I’d pretty much just annoy everyone that I could. Four weeks is a short time.

I’d just want to go out with a bang, instead of fading away.
                              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Working...
                              X