Best casting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best casting

Sometimes you see a film, or TV show and the actor chosen for a particular part is just absolutely perfect, for any number of reasons. Use this thread to express your particular favourites. I guess I'll kick off:

Matthew Lillard as Shaggy in the scooby doo movies. Just perfect!

Chris Tucker as Ruby Rhod in The Fifth Element.

You can close the thread now

EDIT: Actually [MENTION=9465]Brad[/MENTION], I have one other - Patrick Stewart in The X-Men.

Mainly because I've never seen a casting turn around people's expectations of the movie. This was back before the era of the decent super-hero movie; Superman was a long time ago and Blade, whilst fun, hardly suggested a new golden era of those movies was coming up, what with it only having superficial similarities to the comic book.

When the X-Men movie was announced, it was just like when we hear a videogame movie announcement. We'd seen terrible movies made of geek properties before. Generally people expected that these movies might be at least fun and campy (like Street Fighter) but would most likely end up like Mortal Kombat Annihilation. We also generally assumed the film-makers wouldn't have even read the source material, much less care about bringing it to the screen out of a place of love for it.

But when they announced Stewart was playing Xavier, overnight that all changed. People suddenly had high hopes for it; they were convinced it was going to be a good movie. All because of that casting.
    Last edited by Asura; 26-07-2018, 15:12.

Comment

Good shout re: xmen. I thought 5th element was garbage though so no comment on that one mate!

Comment

I've not seen The Fifth Element but I remember reading the Chris Tucker character was intended for Prince and they designed all the costumes for him.

I have to think about my answers for this thread but two that come to mind are Christopher Reeve as Superman and Peter Weller as Robocop. The former just played Superman as a moral and you could say pure or just character and looked perfect in the costume.

For Robocop Weller did many things right but things like his physical movements were never done by any other actor who took on the role. He also had such dedication and stamina, like for instance having to spend a whole day of shooting just to get that bit where he catches the keys because they kept bouncing off the gloves. Plus having to abandon their original plans for the robotic movements because the suit wouldn't work like that once it was actually delivered and then having to formulate a new strategy with his coach.

Oh yeah - Ray Liotta in Goodfellas, too.
        Last edited by monel; 26-07-2018, 18:48.

Comment

As I said in the Tom Cruise thread, Les Grossman.
          And Alan Rickman as Snape. JK said she wrote the books with Alan in mind for the movie role, so it's no wonder he fit it so perfectly.

Comment

Steve Buscemi is one of my favourite actors, his Mr Pink in Reservoir Dogs - the superb monologue in the diner scene and Garland in Con Air I think are terrific and spot-on perfectly cast.

Comment

Originally posted by Solar View Post
              As I said in the Tom Cruise thread, Les Grossman.
              And Alan Rickman as Snape. JK said she wrote the books with Alan in mind for the movie role, so it's no wonder he fit it so perfectly.
              Neeeeeeehhhh, I LOVE the Rickman and the HP books but I have never thought his stature matched the character, what I mean to say is his body type, he just doesn't LOOK like how I imagine him (I felt Tom Hiddleston is more the look I imagined). Worse than that is Gary Oldman as Sirius, that just does not work at all in my head.

But the Rickman acted so well and he can't really change his body type, and looking past that I thought he was brilliant, I grew to see him in this light and enjoyed the role he played.

Gary Oldman, no matter how good an actor he is, just was 100% not how I imagined at all, the way he spoke and talked and looked, NOTHING like him. The only scene I thought he was good in was his battle in film 5, but that was mainly Radcliff's reaction to it.

Comment

I'm doubtful many will agree on the ones that pop into my head but:

Hugh Jackman - Wolverine
                Harrison Ford - Indiana Jones
                Pierce Brosnan - James Bond
                Arnold Schwarzenegger - Terminator
                Robert Downey Jr - Tony Stark
                Leslie Nielsen - Frank Drebin
                Michael Clark Duncan - John Coffey
                Bill Skarsgard - Pennywise

It's a mixture where the usual complaints against these would be the source material differences of the lack of other actors who've held the role. But it breaks down for me as:

Jackman : May have physicality differences from the comics and the films can be argued about for quality but he owned this role completely and never saw the shift to unlikeableness that even Stark slightly has

Ford : So, so much of Indiana is infused with Ford's own mannerisms and personality. The recent Solo showed how much that matters and how recasting can go wrong, Jones is even more so the case and only the brief turn by River Phoenix came close to suiting the hat of all the official and unofficial similar roles and actors.

Brosnan : Whilst everyone goes on about Connery and Craig and the source material, for me Brosnan was the ultimate all rounder compared to each other Bond nailing particularly skewed characteristic versions. Equally efficient at killing, seducing, joking, seriousness, eye winking moments, action etc He deserved a proper send off fifth entry.

Schwarzennegger : Irreplaceable as proven by the films themselves

Downey Jr : You could have someone act this similar but Jr has an authenticity to it to due how little acting he requires

Neilsen : Master of this comedy form and the perfect match of material, actor and role

Duncan : Seemed born to fit the role

Skarsgard : The most recent turn. I utterly, utterly adore Tim Curry but Skarsgard massively owned this role and exceeded his predecessor.

Comment

Originally posted by Blobcat View Post
                  Gary Oldman, no matter how good an actor he is, just was 100% not how I imagined at all, the way he spoke and talked and looked, NOTHING like him. The only scene I thought he was good in was his battle in film 5, but that was mainly Radcliff's reaction to it.
                  That one scene was really the only lead role he really played in HP though, maybe if he took a bigger part you might feel different about him. Still, he gave an awesome performance as always.

I think Jim Carrey should be on my list too. Of course most of his movies are tailor made for his type of comedy, but could any one else pull off Fletcher Reede of Lloyd Christmas?

Comment

J.K. Simmons was inch-perfect as J. Jonah Jameson in the Sam Raimi Spider-Man trilogy.

There is literally no point in the character returning to any future Spidey film franchise unless he reprises the role, imo.
                    Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 29-07-2018, 15:43.

Comment

Some good suggestions have already been posted on the thread. Its going to make thinking of some choices that haven't already been suggested difficult.

I not sure its perfect but Henry Cavill is doing a decent job as Superman (even of the films around him aren't always great). Heath Ledger as Joker turned out to be fantastic, showing naysayers that Nolan and the casting director knew what they were doing. Christian Bale is pretty decent as Patrick Bateman in American Psycho too.

EDIT - One more just came to mind. Nathan Fillion as Mal in Firefly. I wouldn't be surprised if the role was written with him in mind.
                      Last edited by Paddy; 29-07-2018, 18:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                        J.K. Simmons was inch-perfect as J. Jonah Jameson in the Sam Raimi Spider-Man trilogy.
                        Yeah, I agree with this assessment. He got even closer to that than Patrick Stewart to Xavier.

Comment

Robert Shaw as Quint. In fact all three leads in Jaws were inspired, and not who the studio wanted if my film knowledge serves me.

Comment

Working...
                          X