No announcement yet.

Recommended graphic novels / comics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m not a Harley fan, but these are too nice (and fairly cheap) to pass on.

Some people aren’t keen on digital created pictures and/or landscape front covers. Makes no difference to me if I like the art tho’.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Grover View Post
      I’m not a Harley fan, but these are too nice (and fairly cheap) to pass on.

Some people aren’t keen on digital created pictures and/or landscape front covers. Makes no difference to me if I like the art tho’.

LOVE those covers Grover, they look awesome

Still going on a CGC push then?

I need to get back to the LCS, not been for absolutely forever

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
        LOVE those covers Grover, they look awesome

Still going on a CGC push then?

I need to get back to the LCS, not been for absolutely forever

Neil
        Yes mate, CGC push is still ongoing.

TBH, I’ve been kicking the arse out of it. I’m now up to 78 CGC books, with a further 8 (9.8’s) pre-ordered.

I’ve got the milestone of 100 in my mind. Not sure if I’m going to make it to that number this year, as I’ll need to direct funds to other collectibles during the 2nd half of the year.

I forgot to go to my LCS yesterday which I’m miffed about, as it was free comic book day.

Comment

Yes mate, CGC push is still ongoing.

TBH, I’ve been kicking the arse out of it. I’m now up to 78 CGC books, with a further 8 (9.8’s) pre-ordered.

I’ve got the milestone of 100 in my mind. Not sure if I’m going to make it to that number this year, as I’ll need to direct funds to other collectibles during the 2nd half of the year.

I forgot to go to my LCS yesterday which I’m miffed about, as it was free comic book day.
          Nice.
          100 would be an awesome milestone to hit.

Oooh what you got on Pre-order?

TBH I can't remember the last time I went to my LCS so doubt they have even kept half of my Pull List.
          Do need to go though

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post

Oooh what you got on Pre-order?
            Some connecting covers, which I’m a big fan of, and some Spidey books. Hopefully they should start turning up in the next couple of months.

I saw the film on Netflix and I was blown away with the story and the cgi. Apparently the manga is better, so I’ve treated myself to the first (hefty) volume.

Comment

Some connecting covers, which I’m a big fan of, and some Spidey books. Hopefully they should start turning up in the next couple of months.

I saw the film on Netflix and I was blown away with the story and the cgi. Apparently the manga is better, so I’ve treated myself to the first (hefty) volume.

Awesome, look forward to seeing them when they arrive

I haven't seen the Gantz movie yet but I really enjoyed the actual series.
              If you haven't seen I well recommend hunting it down

Neil

Comment

I got the recent Life Is Strange comic release, which collects the first four issues of the series. To my knowledge, this was initially meant to be a self-contained arc but the series is now an ongoing one. The result is that this collection really only gets going when you hit the end of it. It starts brilliant, a year after the events of the game with our characters now living in Seattle when what seem to be time glitches start happening. That brings them back to Arcadia Bay.

The writing is good, the characters feel right and it feels very true to the game - I have just gone from replays of the original game and Before The Storm to this so it would have jumped out if this didn't fit. It does fit. But getting into issue 3 and 4, it already feels like it's starting to tread water a little bit and there is a focus on where it's going more than where it is now, if you know what I mean - like it will need a payoff to come together rather than just enjoying that journey.

So I left it a little uncertain at the end, loving how it starts but not sure about where it's going. Still, if you like the game this is worth checking out.

Comment

If you have a Kindle and a Prime sub, there are several graphic novels/comics you can read included in the price.

There's a Captain Marvel one and Viz () but I blazed through Batman: Year One.

Comment

Latest haul.

Number 86, 87 and 88 for the slabbed collection.

And my fave of the 3. Striking similarity to a film poster in its composition.

Comment

What do they need to be to get a 10 rating?

Those are bagged, sealed and slabbed, but are still only 9.8.

To go up to 11 are you not even allowed to look at it?

Comment

Only Spinal Tap comics can be graded to 11. Everything else is 10.

Learn about CGC grading standards for each numeric grade for comic books, trading cards and other collectibles by referencing the CGC Grading Scales.

Comment

With The Walking Dead now finished (to my knowledge), I picked up Compendium 4 but, in advance of reading that, I'm rereading the third volume to remind myself where we were. But compared to the early years, it really feels to me like that entire volume (and that has to be about three or four years of comics) is treading water. I think the moment they revealed all the other communities, The Walking Dead struggled. Maybe the story was complete as soon as they managed to establish a settled community - it's like, without that ever being established, it was maybe the core goal and so, after that, it's epilogue with very forced drama. The dead are no longer a threat so they just need people to be really stupid at each other. And then the Whisperers are introduced and I buy pretty nothing about them. I don't think they were thought through at all.

So it's a big downhill slide in that third quarter of The Walking Dead and it's going to be interesting to me to see if they ever pulled it back to being compelling in the final quarter.

Comment

I finished Compendium 4 at the weekend, bringing an end to The Walking Dead. While it's probably unfair to consider the Compendiums each as a unit of work, given they span four years of comics and many story threads, Compendium 3 was pretty consistent across the whole thing. The dead really aren't a real threat any more without people just attacking for some reason so it was a cycle of people attacking each other.

Compendium 4 opens just continuing that but the Whisperers thing fizzles out quickly which (in my view) is a good thing and they managed to make sure it wasn't just a repeat of the Negan war by letting the story go. They actually manage to do a few decent things with the Whisperers in the process and keep them at enough of a distance so the stupidity of the concept isn't in your face the whole time. So I feel that thread was almost rescued by doing very little with it but what they did manage to do with it was make more of their main characters, something which I feel had been lacking for some time. And I think the reason is mostly down to the fact that they have so many of them. In the early days, if they had 10 people in the group and lost one it was a big deal, even if it was a fairly minor character. Lose a main character out of several hundred or several thousand and it's not so big any more. But this volume takes a few breathers and allows us to spend time with some of the characters and makes more of them.

And somewhere along the way, they turn Negan from a cartoon into a very interesting character. The volume has quite a few little story beats that elevate it far above the previous volume. They then meet an even larger community that, for me, is written in a pretty clumsy way. Like it's trying to be social commentary but has turned subtext into just plain text and then pushes the story forward at such a breakneck speed that it feels a little ridiculous but mercifully short too. But even then, they manage to get a lot from the characters in all of that and it's actually a pretty good read as the story takes us to the end.

And then it's done. It has a pretty good ending with a few surprises along the way. I managed to remain completely spoiler-free. Given the comic series was so successful, that is actually amazing. So it was good to get the surprises without knowing what was coming. It had a pretty good end. I would say it could have ended a lot sooner and may have made for a tighter, better story but the end it got was good. And really, it was clear that it was time to go - it had run its course. So I'm glad Kirkman didn't just try to string it along forever.

Overall from start to finish, The Walking Dead is an excellent comic series. Yes, I lost interest a bit when everything got settled and felt things had to get a bit contrived from there but, really, the good always outweighed the bad. The early years are superb and very hard hitting with really great characters and plot threads and, even when it gets less interesting, it's still interesting. And nicely, given a lot of comics just get cancelled, it is now a story with a complete beginning, middle and end. It's good journey.

Comment

I have the first couple of collected issues and have read the rest, sporadically over the years, dipping in when I remember it.

I think I was in the middle of the Whisperers saga, so about a year or so worth to read (which is a treat).

I want to finish it off and read about why it ended as the original plan was to have it never end.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                                I think I was in the middle of the Whisperers saga, so about a year or so worth to read (which is a treat).
                                Probably about two or almost three years worth, I'd say. Quite a bit happens after that and I found it goes uphill from there mostly.

Comment

Working...
                                X