• Show
Clear All

Retro Arena: Gory Games

Splatterhouse - 1988

Narc - 1988

Smash TV - 1990

Total Carnage - 1991

Which one do you like the most?
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 30-07-2018, 17:47.

Splatterhouse for me. I have fond memories of when I was a kid at Nottinghams goose fair and this being in all the arcades at the time.
    Despite the early 90s teenage chavs with no money, who would rob you or push you off the game and take over it, I still got to enjoy the game.

Comment

Another vote for Splatterhouse here.
      I've not played Carmageddon, but the other two were a bit repetitive after a while.
      Good for an quick blast, but you never felt any sense of progress with the nature of playing room after room.

Splatterhouse is chock-full of techniques to survive.

Juggling two shotguns to take out Edward chainsaw-hands, squatting bottom-left to beat the haunted furniture room, standing in the middle of the maggot attack and so on.

You know, I don't think I've ever completed it though.
      Is there much after the head monster around the cross?

Comment

I’ll vote for Smash TV.

This a game loved in the arcades back when it was released, pumped quite a few 10p’s into this one. It’s definitely inspired by the Running Man.

I love Splatterhouse but it’s a game I only really played in recent years.

Narc would have been a good shout for a blood fest game. Probably the only game I’ve played where dismembered limbs fly through the air on fire!

Comment

I’ve never been into gory games or movies or the such. I could never understand why people were willing to put up with Mortal Kombat, just because of unrealistic ‘blood splatters’, when Street Fighter II was clearly the better game.

I’ll go back to my overly happy Twinbee kawaii land now...

Comment

Originally posted by Solar View Post
            Splatterhouse for me. I have fond memories of when I was a kid at Nottinghams goose fair and this being in all the arcades at the time.
            I don't remember it being a common game in arcades, but when I did see it, I always had a go on it. My best mate loved gory stuff, so would always mention Splatterhouse and how he wished he had a home version.

It's a shame it didn't get ported to the Amiga, as I'm sure it could have run well on the hardware. I guess no publisher wanted to touch it at the time, worried it would upset parents.

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

Juggling two shotguns to take out Edward chainsaw-hands, squatting bottom-left to beat the haunted furniture room, standing in the middle of the maggot attack and so on.

You know, I don't think I've ever completed it though.
            Is there much after the head monster around the cross?
            Yeah, there are techniques to be learned, so there's depth to the way it plays.

I remember it having sad ending. But some people say it shows the protagonist is actually a bad guy.

Originally posted by Gradius View Post
            Narc would have been a good shout for a blood fest game. Probably the only game I’ve played where dismembered limbs fly through the air on fire!
            I forgot about Narc. I was trying to think of gory retro games, but Narc didn't pop into my head. I must have been tired, because I've played it a lot and think it's a fun game.

So I've removed Carmageddon, and replaced it with Narc.
            Last edited by Leon Retro; 30-07-2018, 18:05.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
              I could never understand why people were willing to put up with Mortal Kombat, just because of unrealistic ‘blood splatters’, when Street Fighter II was clearly the better game.
              I much preferred everything about SF2 - from the graphics, music, to the gameplay. SF2 was a masterpiece, whereas Mortal Kombat was quite a basic, amateurish game in comparison. But lots of people liked the look and vibe of MK and managed to get some fun out of it. I never really thought of the games competing with each other, as they only had the fighting element in common. Apart from that, they were completely different.

I'm not someone who has ever got excited about 'gore' in games, but I think Splatterhouse and Smash TV are classics that offer more than just gory violence. They're both really well made games.

Comment

Carmageddon. It’s gone but I’m still voting for it - playing it felt naughty (my parents would not have approved) and driving around the city in 3D was a lot of fun. PC really felt like the place you could play those ‘friends’ older brother’s’ games that you weren’t supposed to see when I was a kid, with this and Duke 3D feeling a bit like forbidden fruit.

I don’t remember playing it properly though, I just drove around running people over. That was quite cool in the days before 3D GTA existed though, and even before Driver and its nimble pedestrians.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                  Carmageddon. It’s gone but I’m still voting for it -
                  I can't complain.

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                  playing it felt naughty (my parents would not have approved) and driving around the city in 3D was a lot of fun. PC really felt like the place you could play those ‘friends’ older brother’s’ games that you weren’t supposed to see when I was a kid, with this and Duke 3D feeling a bit like forbidden fruit.
                  Yeah, the more graphics and edgy games made you were exploring a dark place that your parents would think was horrible compared to Super Mario and Sonic the Hedgehog.

Looking at really old gory games now, they just look comical.

Comment

Splatterhouse man, loved it in the arcade and got it with my first PC Engine as a nipper, still playing it now it's classical of history.

Comment

Splatterhouse for me, I have the PCB of this and the original flyer. One that will come to the grave with me

Comment

I think out of the four I got the most enjoyment out of Smash TV. NARC is gash in my opinion. And Splatterhouse, although I like it and played the hell out of the PCE version back in time, I kind of can't be bothered with its plodding nature now. Don't think I ever played total carnage.

Comment

Smash TV. Even though I've only ever played the SNES version which I'm guessing was heavily sanitised.

Comment

Smash TV for me too, and another one who only played the SNES ver. Cracking game ... loads of fun and a great Running Man vibe.

Gore isn't normally a draw for me in gaming but Manhunt is one of the best games I've ever played. It wasn't remotely on my radar but a friend showed me it round his house, an early level in a closed down zoo iirc. The bit I played I got chased and hid in a shadow, first getting stalked and then doing the stalking myself, feeling like I was in The Warriors. I was sold after 15 mins. It's even more impressive that the game shifts focus throughout, offering up different gameplay experiences. And is there a better line in a game than (paraphrasing) 'a bigot is guarding the gate'

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                              Splatterhouse man, loved it in the arcade and got it with my first PC Engine as a nipper, still playing it now it's classical of history.
                              I didn't have a PC Engine in 1990, so I really missed out on getting Splatterhouse and showing it off to my friends. Thinking back - I should have pestered my parents for a PCE and Splatterhouse.

I think it would have worked great on the Amiga. It's very strange that no British publisher picked it up.

Originally posted by garrz32 View Post
                              Splatterhouse for me, I have the PCB of this and the original flyer. One that will come to the grave with me
                              I'd be worried that the PCB might be possessed with evil spirits. The flyer is also great.

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                              INARC is gash in my opinion.

The arcade machine was really impressive, but it didn't get good home ports. Playing the game years later on MAME, I thought it's quite a fun game for a quick blast, but gets repetitive quite quickly. I'd definitely buy the proper NARC arcade cab if I had a mansion full of coin-ops.

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                              Smash TV. Even though I've only ever played the SNES version which I'm guessing was heavily sanitised.
                              The SNES version is great, but lacks some of the gore. Total Carnage is also censored to some degree.

I remember really loving the SNES version back in the day - it worked brilliantly with the SNES joypad.

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                              Smash TV for me too, and another one who only played the SNES ver. Cracking game ... loads of fun and a great Running Man vibe.
                              Yeah, it was influenced by The Running Man. It captured that sort of vibe perfectly. The SNES version is top quality in all departments.
                              Last edited by Leon Retro; 30-07-2018, 20:46.

Comment

Working...
                              X