It should have been ported.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It should have been ported.

This thread is all about popular arcade games that didn't get ported to a computer or console that could have run them reasonably well.

I will start with a few games;

Magic Sword: It didn't get ported to the Mega Drive, but instead got ported to the SNES and suffered from severe slowdown.

Captain Commando: It received an OK SNES port, but surely would have run better on the Mega Drive.

Splatterhouse: This popular arcade game didn't get ported to the Atari ST or Amiga. The Amiga, especially, could have run a decent port. Such a shame.

Parasol Stars: People loved Taito platformers back in the day, so it's very strange that the company didn't port this game to the SNES.

Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder: A stunning sequel that could have run really well on the Saturn. Why Sega didn't port it is a mystery.

Please add more games to the list.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 03-08-2018, 02:15.

Licensing issues aside, Alien vs Predator CPS2 should have received a Saturn or PlayStation port. It’d be interesting to see how far you could push the Saturn, plus RAM cart, with Neo•Geo ports. Knights of the Round got a SNES port, but Capcom should have revisited that and brought a better version to the 32bit systems.

Oh, and Captain Commando received a fantastic PSone port that remained in Japan.
    Last edited by _SD_; 03-08-2018, 02:31.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
      Licensing issues aside, Alien vs Predator CPS2 should have received a Saturn or PlayStation port.
      I think that's one game a lot of people will say they were bitterly disappointed didn't get ported to the Saturn or PlayStation. I think it would have sold really well in Japan and on the import scene. If only Capcom had found a way to get it on 32-bit consoles.

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
      Oh, and Captain Commando received a fantastic PSone port that remained in Japan.
      Did the PS1 port really come out as late as 1998? Seeing it's a 1991 arcade game, I think a Mega Drive port would have made fans of the game happy, despite a decrease in technical finesse. The Super Famicom port is just about OK, but you can tell that Capcom struggled to port it.

Comment

R-Type 2 should have been ported to the Megadrive.

Tumblepop would have been great on the MD, SFC & PCE.

The big mystery to me is why Sega didn’t port more of their Super Scaler and System 32 games to the Saturn.

Scud Race should have been a launch title for the Dreamcast too.

Comment

Konami's X-Men, either on SNES/MD or later consoles.

Comment

Everyone goes on about Alien vs Predator, but I much preferred Konami’s Aliens which really deserved a home port.

Given how high the stock was on the WWF brand back in the early nineties, it was surprising WWF Wrestlefest never saw a home port. I guess it was down to none of the 16-bit consoles having the power to do it justice bar the Neo Geo, and a port to that was never going to happen. For me it’s easily the best WWF/WWE game out there and one of the best wrestling games full stop.

Somebody mentioned that R-Type 2 should’ve been ported to the MD. Never mind that - what about R-Type Leo? I thought that’d be the obvious one. Fortunately they have it at Arcade Club so after all these years I finally managed to play this legendary - and bloody great - title.

Lastly as a Dreamcast fanatic BitD, it pained me to see Star Wars Trilogy running on practically the same hardware yet knowing I couldn’t play it at home. Shame on you, Sega!

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
              Parasol Stars: People loved Taito platformers back in the day, so it's very strange that the company didn't port this game to the SNES.
              I’m gonna have to disagree with you here... both the PCE and Amiga versions are absolutely fantastic and I cannot see what value a SNES port would add. By the way, you do know it’s not actually an arcade port, right?

I’m totally down with Revenge of Death Adder... that should totally have been ported to the Saturn.

Comment

Scud Race and Daytona 2 for sure ... plus Rave Racer and Nebulasray.

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                Everyone goes on about Alien vs Predator, but I much preferred Konami’s Aliens which really deserved a home port.
                Yes, agreed. It was my go-to machine when it was in our local arcade and probably my most played PCB when I had a supergun. Class game!

Comment

Dolphin Blue. Nuff' said.
                  3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

The Lost World arcade game.

I imagine it was never ported because it was a Model 3 game and there were no home consoles powerful enough for a decent port. Even the DC(which probably would've required hard work to make it playable) wouldn't be released in the West for a few more years so the window of opportunity to cash in would've been missed.

I know this is a thread about games I think should have been ported so it's weird me justifying why it wasn't

:edit: scratch this. I didn't read the OP properly. No home console was capable of running this game at the time and I imagine PCs couldn't, either.
                    Last edited by randombs; 03-08-2018, 10:11.

Comment

Pocket Fighter on to a handheld. It seems so obvious. Yes it got a Wonderswan version but it should have been on something that could do it justice. Could have been great on GBA... DS... 3DS... PSP... Vita... Switch. Anything really but Pocket Fighter should have been on things that you could put in your pocket*.

*The Switch will not fit in your pocket.

Comment

Mine would be ...

Super Hang On
                        The Mega Drive version should have been ported to the Mega CD with ASIC scailing, CD-DA Arcade perfect music and Arcade quality sound effects and they we should have had a Arcade perfect version on the Saturn as part of the Ages range.

Out Run and Turbo Outrun Out Run should have been ported to the Mega CD using the ASIC chip and again then Arcade perfect CD-DA Music and Arcade quality sound effects and then Turbo should have been part on of the Ages range on the Saturn.

Space Harrier, AB II and Galaxy Force II Should have been on the Mega CD using the ASIC chip, Arcade perfect CD-DA music and Arcade quality sound effects. If SEGA had used the ASIC chip for its scalier games (like games like Soul Star, Batman Returns) It would have made the system such a better buy and impressed more people.

The Lost World

Amazing this wasn't ported to the DC, when its the best light gun game ever made and really would have shown off the DC visuals.

Let's Go Jungle 3D

Why this isn't on PS VR is quite beyond me

Battle Bakraid

This gem of a shooter should have been ported to the DC.

Oillie King

Gutted we never got a XBox version.

Virtual Cop III

Should have been on the XBox.

Arabian Fight

This gem of a scrolling beat them up should have been on the Saturn

Revenge of the Death Adder

This game was made for the Saturn and the Multi Tap

Soccer Brawl

Instead of trying to port those huge Meg fighters to the MD and Snes, this game should have been ported. So more could play one of the best football games going.

Pulstar

Really should have been ported to the Saturn as well

Xexex

This stunning shooter should have been on the Saturn.

Metal Hawk

Should have been on the Mega CD with full use of the ASIC chip

Dolphin Blue

Should have been on the Dreamcast.

Daraku Tenshi The Fallen Angels

Should have been one of the last games to make use of the 4-Meg Cart on Saturn.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                          Battle Bakraid

This gem of a shooter should have been ported to the DC.
                          Good shout. Shame it came out just too late to be considered for a Saturn release.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            Good shout. Shame it came out just too late to be considered for a Saturn release.
                            +1 for Bakraid. I prefer it to Garegga (shoot me).

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                              Yeah, my heart says Saturn, but the head said Dreamcast. Shame it came out just a year too late for a Saturn port, which it could have handled in its sleep. Infact I wish somone would buy the rights to RAIZING games and put all their shooters up on LIVE and PSN

Comment

Working...
                              X