No announcement yet.

New old games thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I find interesting is that it's being touted as a major technical undertaking; clearly having to implement all kinds of hacks and techniques, even going so far as to adding extra chip(s?) on the cart to get these huge sprites and fancy sounds to work on a Megadrive.

I understand the appeal of challenging yourself to work within constraints, being able to pat yourself on the back about having pushed an old system far beyond what was thought possible, and even to some extent the kind of deep-seated love of a particular platform that drives someone to release a game for the system you loved as a youth. But as an outsider looking in (and therefore making this entirely worthless), it seems that there's been more than enough hitches - be they technical roadblocks, financially over-stretching, and constantly having to push back your schedules - to suggest that maybe if you've already designed this thing from the ground up, you should perhaps just release it on a platform that can handle it?

Comment

The Paprium situation is a fiasco alright. I haven’t been able to get a refund so have just got to wait and see if we ever do see a release. I am curious about the technical makeup of the game. The so called Datenmeister chip seems be an anti piracy measure more than anything else. The game seems like it could run on the base system maybe with some help for decompression of graphics.
      Ultimately I suspect this game will end up being the MD equivalent of Psyclaspe and Bandersnatch.

Kraut Buster while being rather late is in the open beta phase now and shouldn’t be far away. At least NGDevTeam have always delivered and with a new cart including WiFi features they’ll have a lot of testing to do.

Comment

Been playing both Tanglewood and the re-print of Star Odyssey (which is a 2011 translated release of a Japanese-developed game called Blue Almanac) recently, thanks to me getting both for Christmas.

Tanglewood is, quite simply, brilliant. Yes it is slow-paced but this is because it's a puzzle platformer a la Oddworld rather than a generic platform game. This is a good thing in my book. The puzzles will have you scratching your head a little bit later on, not quite as complex as something like Shadow of the Beast 3 or even The Lost Vikings, but sufficient enough that you do have to work out what to do to progress.

The overall look of the game is pleasant, and the environments look lush and very organic. This together with the incidental music and wildlife sound effects make for a very relaxing game, and this marries well with its pacing. That's not to say there aren't one or two tense moments, but it is the kind of game you can sit down and play in short or long bursts without getting too frustrated, I'd say the difficulty curve is pitched just right; after an introductory first world that introduces you to the environment, its inhabitants, and how to solve puzzles, things begin to ramp up in the second level with some sections, for example the lightning part, becoming quite tricky. It features some modern design aspects that separate it from its peers on the platform such as infinite lives and a save feature (albeit via generated password), and this adds to its easy-to-pick-up-and-play nature.

The whole package itself is very tidy, with great cover art (I opted for the PAL grid design cover) and a nice, glossy manual. All in all I'd highly recommend grabbing yourself a copy if you're willing to pay the entrance fee for a cart version. If not then the Steam version represents good value as it's the kind of game you'd be pleasantly surprised with if it were an indie title.
        Last edited by samanosuke; 07-01-2019, 17:10.

Comment

There was a point and click horror game made for the mega drive released a few years ago, but I forgot the name.

Comment

This one?

Looks a bit ****e to me.

Comment

Aye that's the one. Looks interesting. I like stuff like this :P

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post

Looks a bit ****e to me.
                I guess people who are fond of games like 'The Hobbit' might enjoy it. Definitely not something that excites me.

Comment

It looks interesting to say the least though. It might be **** haha

Comment

If anyone wants to give Tanglewood a try but not splash the cash on the MD version, it’s just been launched on GoG with 25% off:

TANGLEWOOD® is a brand new and original puzzle-platforming game originally released for t

Can’t go much wrong for a tenner.

Comment

Kickstarter is an investment site and you have to factor losing your money into that. One of the reasons I never back one myself, I just wait until the game is finished and released before picking it up. Mighty No.9 was a case and point of this the promised game certainly ended up looking rather different.

That have been a lot of these games in the past few years, many are rubbish, but lots of retro consoles owners go crazy for new games on old system. Before even looking at the game in question. Even some of the gang here on this forum are guilty of that.

Some of the better ones I've played include Rush Rush Rally Reloaded from Senile Team this one came out first on Dreamcast:

They are currently working on another Dreamcast, PS4 and PC title called Intrepid Izzy, which there is more about on there site https://www.senileteam.com/

Also you have Mega Cat Studios and we've looked at a couple of their games last year: https://megacatstudios.com/

Such as Coffee Crisis released on Mega Drive and PC:

Another title was Little Medusa for NES, SNES & MD, based on Kickle Cubicle:

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
                        Kickstarter is an investment site and you have to factor losing your money into that.
                        What bothers me is that it sort-of is, but sort-of isn't. Consider how much Oculus sold out themselves to Facebook; their backers who had paid for their success (sold on their scrappy, plucky, indie appeal) weren't happy. It wasn't like they got back a return on their "investment".

One of the reasons I never back one myself, I just wait until the game is finished and released before picking it up. Mighty No.9 was a case and point of this the promised game certainly ended up looking rather different.
                        Something interesting about the whole Kickstarter gaming watershed has been how it suggested something important - that in most cases, videogames aren't made by special individuals, but rather by well-led and talented teams. Some of these gaming auteurs are certainly talented but they're not necessarily like some kind of gaming kind Midas, gilding everything they touch.

Maybe I'm just getting cynical as I'm getting older, but these things have made me doubt the "big creatives" we know about; the Spielbergs and Kojimas of this world. I wonder how much of their success is due to their "magic touch" and how much is just because they were really good at being credited for the hard work of other people.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                          but these things have made me doubt the "big creatives" we know about; the Spielbergs and Kojimas of this world. I wonder how much of their success is due to their "magic touch" and how much is just because they were really good at being credited for the hard work of other people.
                          I'd say directors often deserve a lot of credit. If you are passionate about a project and have a clear vision of how it should be, then that helps you to direct a team of people to understand the big picture and what the ultimate goal is.

Of course, you have all sorts of people working on a film or game, but you need a leader who can guide the project. I think people like Hideo Kojima, Peter Molyneux, and Shigeru Miyamoto have done that well over their careers.

Obviously though, well known directors like them have been fortunate to work with very talented people. You definitely need a group of clever/skilled people to create something brilliant.
                          Last edited by Leon Retro; 24-01-2019, 20:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            What bothers me is that it sort-of is, but sort-of isn't. Consider how much Oculus sold out themselves to Facebook; their backers who had paid for their success (sold on their scrappy, plucky, indie appeal) weren't happy. It wasn't like they got back a return on their "investment".
                            Sadly that's the risk if the company don't give you a percentage stake in the project when you invest. Is it perfectly legal, yes, is it morally wrong and makes Oculus owners look like sharks, yes it does, they clearly only cared about the money. That's capitalism for you when there aren't laws to stop these type of shady practices. Oculus, put themselves in a place where they win no matter what. Kickstarter's lacked rules help this happen too and they share some of the blame for projects like this.

Now back on topic, I mentioned Intrepid Izzy in my previous post, but we had a look at the PC free to download demo last year:

Last edited by S3M; 31-01-2019, 13:36.

Comment

"A German techno DJ is releasing his new album on a Sega Mega Drive cartridge

In this era of music streaming, artists are finding growing sales in all things retro, such as vinyl. But one German techno artist decided to pick an even more unlikely medium to release their music on in 2019: a Mega Drive cartridge.

DJ Remute, from Hamburg, Germany is releasing his Technoptimistic LP on an actual cartridge that will play on an actual Mega Drive."

Comment

Tanglewood is now available on general sale:

It’s great, by the way.

Comment

Working...
                                X