New old games thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post

Apparently this got a very limited release a couple of years ago, but now they want to do a larger run with an upgraded version. Unfortunately, it’s a Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...xe-for-gb-gbc/
    That Gameboy game looks pretty good! And great soundtrack too. I’ve been hoping for some decent GB homebrew for some time, and although I did consider Escape 2040, it just didn’t float my boat enough to make the jump. This, however, does, and I do hope the Super GB stretch goals get reached as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
      MD getting all the releases right now.
      Indeed. I think Pier Solar was quite seminal in that it opened up the dev community to share ideas, SDKs etc. There are a lot of talented developers and even teams of developers creating for the platform and hopefully it will get to similar levels as the NES and 2600 homebrew scene.

Sadly the same can’t be said for the SNES, however. To my knowledge the only SNES games that aren’t re-releases have been the unfinished half-game Unholy Night and some helicopter shmup that uses mode 7 that I can’t recall the name of. It’s a shame that Unholy Night wasn’t given the time and effort needed to double the character roster, double the number of stages and optimisations made to reduce the horrible choppiness of it. Somewhere in that mess lies a decent game.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
        https://www.play-asia.com/advanced-b...ncer/13/70cnmd

Apparently there were 2,500 copies allocated to Amazon Jp and they all sold out pretty quickly. Not sure how many copies Play Asia will have but it might be a good idea to not hang around if you’re thinking of pre-ordering.
        Cheers, looks like I'll have to keep an eye on it if I want a chance of getting one.

Comment

Cheers, looks like I'll have to keep an eye on it if I want a chance of getting one.
          The bugger is, pre-orders opened up yesterday on Play Asia for around the £43 mark and now it looks like they’ve closed again?! I sure hope I haven’t missed out.

Comment

The bugger is, pre-orders opened up yesterday on Play Asia for around the £43 mark and now it looks like they’ve closed again?! I sure hope I haven’t missed out.
            Well.... ****

I guess we'll see but hopefully pre-orders open again.

Comment

Nin Nin have it for order again for the moment. £52 but I went for it just cause im not sure I'll have another chance.

Comment

Looks like I missed out again.

What crazy business model are Columbus Circle thinking by keeping this release so limited so as not to meet demand?

Comment

Definitely feels like they could do a larger run. I only caught that by chance, reloading the Nin Nin and Play Asia pages every couple of hours.

Comment

Looks like I missed out again.

What crazy business model are Columbus Circle thinking by keeping this release so limited so as not to meet demand?
                    They're only copying the bull**** Nintendo pull with their consoles.

Comment

There's an impressive SMB conversion for the C64 in the works. I'd love to try this.

Comment

Here's another video of it in action: https://youtu.be/bDkNDpH3Qsw?t=160

Giana Sisters showed that the C64 could run a similar game to SMB, so it's nice to have a proper port. I will try to see how it feels to play -- hope it's just like the NES version.

Comment

I didn't realise but it's already out!

(Edit 2019-12-30: See this post for the more recent 1.2 version ) After 7 years of development... Super Mario Bros. 64 Download link: Super_Mario_Bros_64_-_Z…

I've been trying it on Vice but I cannot, for the life of me figure out how to reconfigure up on the joystick to a face button or get it to recognise the pad as a two button controller.

Old computer emulators are always so unintuitive.

-edit-
                          I managed to get the controller sorted with some Retroarch button config shenanigans. I still can't figure out how to do it in Vice though, selecting your fire button seems to be as far as it goes unless I'm missing something.
                          Last edited by Cepp; 19-04-2019, 17:06.

Comment

. I still can't figure out how to do it in Vice though, selecting your fire button seems to be as far as it goes unless I'm missing something.
                            I loaded it up in Vice and it has slowdown now and then and crackly audio. Pushing 'Up' jumps -- but the 'fire button' also jumps. I think I need to configure it. It feels like playing the NES version -- and looks similar enough -- so I'm impressed. I wonder if the emulator is causing the slowdown?

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                              I loaded it up in Vice and it has slowdown now and then and crackly audio. Pushing 'Up' jumps -- but the 'fire button' also jumps. I think I need to configure it. It feels like playing the NES version -- and looks similar enough -- so I'm impressed. I wonder if the emulator is causing the slowdown?
                              I think the game just has a lot of slowdown depending on the system your using.

I found the below quotes in the Lemon 64 thread.

Since the NES-processor is clocked (roughly 70%) faster than a stock C64 there can be slowdowns during gameplay. A pixel indicates this on the time-watch graphics in the status bar.
                              I've had a go on all three of my Commodores this morning.

Breadbin: Bit of slowdown on the busier sections. My breadbin also suffers from this problem so the "x" in the coins and lives turned blue. But that's a hardware issue and not a problem with the game, and besides it's nothing major.

C64C: Plays exactly the same, but without the blue text problem.

C128 (in 64 mode): Very little slowdown. Best way to play it out of the three.
                              I just tried it on Vice x128 and it ran significantly smoother with no audio glitches so that's probably the way to go.

It's impressive how faithful this is to the original. Talking about slowdown, in 1-2 when you hit the ceiling block to get the 1up there's always a bit of slowdown just afterwards in the NES version and that is here as well. The minus world glitch even works apparently.

Comment

I just tried it on Vice x128 and it ran significantly smoother with no audio glitches so that's probably the way to go.
                                It's a shame that most people don't have the C128. Maybe the dev will get it running better on the C64.

It's impressive how faithful this is to the original. Talking about slowdown, in 1-2 when you hit the ceiling block to get the 1up there's always a bit of slowdown just afterwards in the NES version and that is here as well. The minus world glitch even works apparently.
                                When it runs smoothly, it feels just like the NES version. You can see the graphics are quite a bit blockier, but that's not really a problem.
                                Last edited by Leon Retro; 19-04-2019, 19:36.

Comment

Working...
                                X