MegaSD - FPGA MegaCD Cart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post

Eye of the Beholder - Ace version of the classic game along with Yuzo Koshiro pumping soundtracks
    Bloody hell... I need to play it.

Robo Aleste - Ace shooters
    A good game, but I prefer MUSHA on the Mega Drive.

Jaguar XJ220 - Nice racer with a fab music score
    The perspective is a bit too low, but it's a very nice arcade racer. I really like the graphics and music -- feels like an Amiga game on steroids.

SoulStar - Pushes the system to its limits
    Looks like a 3DO game.

Keio Flying Squadron - Japanese madness and a great shooter to boot
    A great cute-em-up that's full of fun.

Sonic CD - The best 2D Sonic game
    I will always love the original the most, but Sonic CD is also something special. Which soundtrack do you like most: Japan or Western?

It's such a shame that the Mega CD didn't get loads more good to great games that took advantage of the hardware. But your list really highlights how it did get quite a few games that are worth playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
      I'd also add Night Striker too.
      As much as I love GameArts all I can read in Japanese is Yes & NO and Stereo or Mono, that's it (and only after decades of Japanese options screens) I would have put Night Striker on the list if only for the awesome cover and lovely artwork on the disc, but the Saturn version is the best IMO. I also really like Sylpheed, Son Of Chuck II, Prize Fighter, Night Trap, Cliffhanger (for the awesome music and Snowboard sections), Ground Zero: Texas ( I lovely crappy B Movie Alien films) Masked Rider, Cobra Command, Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective 1 & 2, Thunderhawk

To me, the Mega CD is like the 3DO; Fab system that didn't like up to the hype and cost a fortune but there are some classic games on both systems

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
        Bloody hell... I need to play it.
        Yuzo Koshiro 1st ever CD-DA soundtrack and boy did he go for it LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
          Ah much as I live the Mega CD I'd say there are some very questionable entities on that list.

We also must add Urusei Yatsura BUT ONLY if you can understand Japanese. I'd also add Night Striker too.
          For the £200 it costs you better be playing everything on the mcd to make it pay for itself lol. Although i imagine someone out there will be buying one just for a couple of games but thats quite the wad of cash to put down to do something like that.

Comment

Yeah, but it’s cheaper to buy a Mega SD than an actual real copy of either Snatcher or Keio... and probably several other individual games too.

It is an expensive bit of kit but it looks like it’s going to be worth the money in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
              Looks like a 3DO game.
              I always found this level the most impressive:

Love the water effect during the first half of the stage, and I remember my jaw dropping to the floor the first time I played it and seeing the ship submerge under the ocean, the stage becoming free-roaming. It was at that moment I knew that - in the right hands - the Mega CD was undeniably a more powerful beast than the SNES. It’s such a shame that its price point, its late launch, SoA’s infatuation with FMV titles, and dissonance amongst Sega’s international offices meant that we never got to see what it could really achieve.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                Yeah, but it’s cheaper to buy a Mega SD than an actual real copy of either Snatcher or Keio... and probably several other individual games too.

It is an expensive bit of kit but it looks like it’s going to be worth the money in the long run.
                To be honest with the insanity of retro prices nowadays you are probably onto something. It's a lot to pay up front but will let you play some of the most expensive games on real hardware.

Comment

The Mega SD seems pricey but is actually a lot cheaper than buying a Mega-CD, Everdrive, Powerbase converter with FM support and a non existent M-CD ODE. A PAL copy of Snatcher could cost around £300 on its own. Mental.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                    I always found this level the most impressive:

Love the water effect during the first half of the stage, and I remember my jaw dropping to the floor the first time I played it and seeing the ship submerge under the ocean, the stage becoming free-roaming. It was at that moment I knew that - in the right hands - the Mega CD was undeniably a more powerful beast than the SNES. It’s such a shame that its price point, its late launch, SoA’s infatuation with FMV titles, and dissonance amongst Sega’s international offices meant that we never got to see what it could really achieve.
                    To give SEGA America a lot of credit, they did far more to use and push the Mega CD than SOJ ever did. Yeah in the right hands and when used, the Mega CD was a beast of a system, but I read various interviews with CORE and they said the memory bandwidth when using the Mega Drive GPU and the ASIC chip in the Mega CD was slow and clunky and so many developers, just won't put the time and effort needed into making use of it

When used though, the Mega CD could produce some stunning results

Comment

but I read various interviews with CORE and they said the memory bandwidth when using the Mega Drive GPU and the ASIC chip in the Mega CD was slow and clunky and so many developers, just won't put the time and effort needed into making use of it
                      It was the same situation with lots of old hardware, such as the Jaguar and 3DO. Coders who didn't(maybe couldn't) learn to understand how to get the most out of the hardware really made tech look bad. Like the 3DO version of Doom -- and games like Club Drive on the Jaguar. People took notice of the negativity rubbish games created and made unfair assumptions about perfectly fine tech that just needed a different approach than relatively simple 8 & 16-bit architectures.

It's obvious that Sony took notice of what happened with the Mega CD, Jaguar and 3DO, and made sure the PlayStation had elegant hardware and helpful development tools/libraries. They knew that lots of developers hated complexity, or just couldn't handle it. If only Sega had taken the same approach with the Saturn.

Comment

Random thought: I wonder if the MegaSD could also play the few MegaLDs that exist, assuming the LaserDiscs themselves have even been ripped?

Comment

Now that is a question, has there ever been home tech able to rip a data ld?. I know people have ripped movies off ld but thats just recording from the video output, data in a gaming one is not something i have heard of. I don't even know if theres any tech out there in homes that isn't outside of a mastering factory.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                            Now that is a question, has there ever been home tech able to rip a data ld?..
                            I know there was a Mega Drive/Genesis module for the LaserActive player. But I don't know if the machine had gaming tech built in already? If so, I wonder what the specs were?

I always assumed that you ran a laserdisc and the Mega Drive module created a graphic overlay.

Comment

I have no idea how the underlying technology in the LaserActive handled the gaming side of things, but it must have been the same for both MegaLDs and Super LD-ROMs. I assumed it used the CD tech for each console in conjunction with the LD playback, as I don’t think there’s any custom chips in there. Similarly then, could the SSDS3 play the Super LDs?

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                                Similarly then, could the SSDS3 play the Super LDs?
                                Someone managed to get Road Avenger working on the SNES via an Everdrive, so who knows what's possible with MegaLDs? Maybe some clever person could achieve it, but I doubt anyone will bother.

Comment

Working...
                                X