New old games thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New old games thread

Thought it might be an idea to start a thread where we can discuss indie/homebrew/re-releases for our favourite consoles. Perhaps we can use it to track development or give feedback on titles we’ve purchased?

Anyway, I’ll kick it off with some news if you haven’t already seen...

Tanglewood for MegaDrive is very close to completion (shipping within a few weeks) and the developer, Big Evil Corporation, has uploaded a new trailer:

I posted a video here a year or so ago before the forum server threw a wobbly, and the responses were less than enthusiastic at the time. However the video I posted was of a very early conceptual build which featured little more than a sprite roaming around an environment. Development has come on a long way since then as you can see by the video.

I backed this from the start and am very pleased with how it’s looking now.

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
    I backed this from the start and am very pleased with how it’s looking now.
    Is it just my eyes, or do the graphics look like they're running in 16 colours? Looks quite a like a Master System game. I guess that's because the developer chose a very subdued look, to make the environments feel moody. It's a stark contrast to something colourful like Sonic.

I think the animation looks good - you can tell a lot of effort has gone into that aspect. Watching the gameplay makes me think it's a slow paced sort of platformer, so maybe not my cup of tea.

Comment

Looks pretty cool to be honest. I like the music. It's got an eerie vibe to it.

Whats happening with that SOR style game being developed for MD - Paprium?

Comment

Maybe this is the right thread to drop these:

Strand Games are remastering some of Magnetic Scrolls' classics, such as The Pawn and The Guild of Thieves.

Piko Interactive are publishing a lot of homebrew / unreleased titles for retro consoles in physical form. The quality of said titles seems a bit dubious, but I'm thankful for their release of some of Legend Entertainment's adventures on GOG.

Comment

I got Piko’s re-release of the MegaDrive Duke Nukem 3D. The game itself wasn’t as broken as the original Tectoy release thanks to the addition of a crosshair, but the game was still brutally difficult to finish. If Piko had reduced the amount of damage enemy fire causes then that would have been a simple way to make the game fairer.

In terms of build quality it was nowhere near to a Watermelon release, and even Super Fighter Team releases are more professional. The thing that irked me the most about the Piko title was that the PCB was too thick so you have a hard time inserting it and removing it from the console. Probably causes the pins a bit of undue stress, I should imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post

Who knows? Last thing I read about it was someone is going over the instruction manuals. Fonzie really isn’t too hot at PR unlike the guys behind Tanglewood. I hope Paprium launches in time for the Megadrive’s 30th anniversary.

Xeno Crisis for the Megadrive looks awesome too. In game art by Henk Nieborg (Flink) and tunes by the rather talented Savaged Regime. It’s a Smash TV style shooter.

Also so I’ve recently picked up Escape 2042 on MD cart and there is a MD compilation cart coming from 1985alternativo featuring 3 games and 3 demos.

Comment

Xeno Crisis is now coming to a load more formats including Neo*Geo AES, MVS and CD. Also Dreamcast, Switch, PS4 and PC (Steam).

I’m tempted to order the Neo version to hear what Savaged Regime can do with the YM2610.

Comment

I really like the look of Xeno Crisis, glad it's making its way to PS4 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                  Also Dreamcast
                  Another game to keep the DC alive.

Comment

Just saw Xeno Crisis in a Tweet an thought it'd be ideal for that "New Old" thread!
                    Obviously, it's already been mentioned!

So, to avoid repetition, here's some gameplay footage.
                    Looks good!

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                      I asked for my money back on this one loooooooong ago. So many of these games are an utter piss take these days with their lead times. I did the same with Kraut Buster on the Neo, that one has been several years now as well, though I believe MVS is out soon.
                      Last edited by Colin; 19-12-2018, 13:47.

Comment

Wow, yeah, that's not going well, is it?
                        About Paprium, the v̵a̵p̵o̵r̵w̵a̵r̵e̵.

They had a "launch" event, but there were no enemies!

I think I'm happier buying these things when they come out rather than back the Kickstarters as they're such a risk.
                        That Xeno Crisis is a couple of months late with no adjustment to when they're now expecting it to be released.

Comment

Bloody hell, hadn't realised it'd gotten that out of hand. That said, a lot of the blog posts there also seem to make some pretty big logical jumps, and have confused some quite wild speculation for being factual. Though there's no denying it, that 'launch event' video does not paint a pretty picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                            I asked for my money back on this one loooooooong ago. So many of these games are an utter piss take these days with their lead times. I did the same with Kraut Buster on the Neo, that one has been several years now as well, though I believe MVS is out soon.
                            Kraut Buster still isn’t out? That one has been promised for ages now, I thought it had been released and I missed it.

The Paprium situation is a shambles, that launch event was embarrassing. My friend pre-ordered it and even he, who is usually upbeat and positive about things, has felt disillusioned with it; to the point of cancelling. The radio silence from the developer is pretty damning.

Comment

Oooof. Not good. They oversold that. Not looking good at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X