User Tag List

Wireless Retro Controllers

The 8bitdo pad for the SNES Mini has been a boon for me, no longer having to stretch wires out across the living room (sometimes with extension cables) for retro systems has made me want to make the change with all of my consoles.

As such I want to compile a list of wireless controllers for each system. IR controllers are getting a decent rep here so I'm including them now. They aren't for me personally but worth considering if you find one.

Atari 2600: Atari released their own wireless joysticks in the 80s. They look bulky and unwieldy and I don't know if they're actually good. Probably expensive as well.

NES: 8bitdo have a NES controller but it's a 4 button pad which isn't for me. They do have a conversion kit for both the NES and Famicom controllers however so that's going to be my preferred route.

SNES: 8bitdo as above. They also do a conversion kit for your regular controllers.

Megadrive: 8bitdo again have a conversion kit but it's only compatible with the 6 button controller. I can't stand the 3 button pad these days so that's fine by me. There isn't currently a receiver for the MD console itself however so you're stuck with emulation for now. There's also the Joyzz from Krikzz which looks good and an official IR controller from SEGA

PC Engine/TurboGrafx 16: NEC have an official IR controller for the PC Engine.

Sega Saturn: There's an official IR controller from SEGA for the Saturn.

Dreamcast: Dreamconn - Very expensive but super impressive bluetooth controller.

Playstation 1/2: There are several wireless controllers for the PS2 I believe but are any of them actually decent and do they work with the original Playstation? SEGA released their own wireless PS2 controller and I want it so bad.

GC: Wavebird naturally.

If there's any more out there tell me so I can update this list!
    Last edited by Cepp; 07-08-2018 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cepp View Post
    Sega Saturn: I don't think anything exists for this either and that really sucks.
    There were definitely official IR pads, or at least, they used official branding.

I don't know if they were any good, and I know they can be quite expensive today.

Regarding Mega Drive - 8bitdo havenít got a receiver for the Mega Drive yet have they? So the wireless pad you make using their kit canít be used on a Mega Drive console.

So I think the Krikzz product is better suited for use on the actual Mega Drive - https://krikzz.com/store/home/52-master-everdrive.html

Cheers
    Pete

PC-Engine had these wireless pads, they were pretty decent when I used them.

I found the official Megadrive and Saturn ones to work really well as long as you had them pointed in the general direction of the console.

Quote Originally Posted by Cepp View Post
    Playstation 1/2: There are several wireless controllers for the PS2 I believe but are any of them actually decent and do they work with the original Playstation?
    So weirdly...

Back in the day, the lads at my local gaming shop tried a pad that looked JUST like this, except it was black, and not by Sega. I remember the clear acrylic panel at the top. They tested it by having one of them go into the sandwich shop across the road and he was still able to control the console. It was really quite good.

However I can't for the life of me find the actual pad, just this one. I thought it was by 4Gamers but I don't think it is.

Those Sega pads are apparently really good, but quite hard to find / expensive when they come up.

I really want a wireless Saturn pad, but the IR ones are always ~£100 when they come up on EBay. I'm waiting on Retrobit's effort. I think they have said it will work via Bluetooth, so work on PC, but also include an adapter for wireless use on an actual Saturn. That sounds ideal to me, but I hope the price is right - I.e not a ton.

The DreamConn controllers are pricey, but they work really well.

http://www.dreammods.net/dreamconn.html

Cheers guys, I've updated the list and added the infrared pads since quite a few people here have had good experiences with them.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmonkey View Post
    Regarding Mega Drive - 8bitdo havenít got a receiver for the Mega Drive yet have they? So the wireless pad you make using their kit canít be used on a Mega Drive console.

So I think the Krikzz product is better suited for use on the actual Mega Drive - https://krikzz.com/store/home/52-master-everdrive.html

Cheers
    Pete
    Cheers I missed that! It looks like Krikzz has done a good job with his pad, if there's still no receiver by thanksgiving I might grab one.

Quote Originally Posted by Asura View Post
    So weirdly...

Back in the day, the lads at my local gaming shop tried a pad that looked JUST like this, except it was black, and not by Sega. I remember the clear acrylic panel at the top. They tested it by having one of them go into the sandwich shop across the road and he was still able to control the console. It was really quite good.

However I can't for the life of me find the actual pad, just this one. I thought it was by 4Gamers but I don't think it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by wakka View Post
    Those Sega pads are apparently really good, but quite hard to find / expensive when they come up.
    I would really like to own this controller.

Quote Originally Posted by wakka View Post
    I really want a wireless Saturn pad, but the IR ones are always ~£100 when they come up on EBay. I'm waiting on Retrobit's effort. I think they have said it will work via Bluetooth, so work on PC, but also include an adapter for wireless use on an actual Saturn. That sounds ideal to me, but I hope the price is right - I.e not a ton.
    I hope it happens soon.

Quote Originally Posted by _SD_ View Post
    The DreamConn controllers are pricey, but they work really well.

http://www.dreammods.net/dreamconn.html
    Very impressive, if I still had a Dreamcast I'd be tempted.