User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman Falls View Post

The Klingons will get a facelift in Season 2 of Star Trek: Discovery and start to look more TNG like
    It's funny how the designer can't just admit "I got the Klingon design wrong", but instead chose to pretend that the change in design for Season 2 is about exploring Klingon culture on a wider level.

There were quite a few things I disliked about Discovery, but the Klingons - both in the way they look and talk - was the main annoyance. I would guess that would score quite high in a poll of things people didn't like.

Maybe the producers will change other things to create a more familiar Star Trek vibe. I found Season 1 to be too dark and serious. I did enjoy some of the episodes in the latter part of the season though, so I think a few tweaks could make Season 2 more satisfying for fans of Star Trek and those just looking for an interesting sci-fi show.

Feels like they’d have a hard time without Pine unless... they found a way to get Shatner back for one. But the idea that they should drop budget feels exactly right. The Trek films are a prime example of films that have an audience, are popular and are making money even when they underperform (like Beyond) but are struggling because they cost too much to make. They’re not going to bring in Star Wars money (even Star Wars can’t guarantee that) so it makes sense to budget them accordingly. If everyone in them expects a huge pay check, the films just won’t get made.

At this point it feels a little wrong that Shatner won't get a reprieve whilst there's still chance, especially in a time travel base film where Generations isn't canon. He always seems to get dropped

From what I can gather Paramount already had a deal in place with Pine that covered Beyond and ST14 so if true, then I get why them coming back to him later and saying "take a pay cut" isn't going to fly with him. I completely agree about how Star Treks should be more economically budgeted but ST11-13 were fairly consistent in budget and earnings at least to a degree where they can't claim the franchise doesn't warrant it when they already paid it last time around. Totally depends on if it's an existing agreement though, if not then it's all fair play but one thing Pine would be wise to consider is that the role can be a lifelong one which is an opportunity few actors enjoy.

Hemsworth, I'd just recast. He was in barely 10 minutes of one film and several non-Thor films have shown his presence doesn't sell tickets so it's little skin off Paramounts nose to move forward with someone else.

It'd be a shame though to see new cast take over the roles at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman Falls View Post
    Hemsworth, I'd just recast. He was in barely 10 minutes of one film and several non-Thor films have shown his presence doesn't sell tickets so it's little skin off Paramounts nose to move forward with someone else.
    This is true, but from a purely personal bias, I think it'd be a shame for them to recast him purely because his part in the first movie (that whole segment) was, to me, the best part of the entire Abrams series.

I also assume it's because they're going to go back in time and undo everything? I've expected them to do this for years.

The weird thing with hitting the undo button is it'd probably create more issues than it'd fix. The Kelvin timeline is sound and rich with alt-outcome potential, the original timeline much less so as Discovery is proving. I'm happy with TV and Film treading different lines.

Same. The one blip was where it tried to mimic previous stuff too closely. It works outside of that because it has carved its own reality. Characters can do different things and be different and it works because of this new timeline. As far as reboots go, I still think it was a really clever way to do it.