XBOX FTP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XBOX FTP

I want to connect my Windows 7 PC to my original Xbox. I tried using FileZilla and following guides, but whatever I do it will never connect to the Xbox. I just want to connect directly between machines using an ethernet crossover cable.

The IP address[192.168.0.2] is what was already on the machine. I think the Gateway and DNS are set up wrong, as I changed them.

I have shown my settings above, so I guess something is wrong? Any advice appreciated.

You'll need your PC and Xbox to be on the same subnet so make sure your IP adresses w.x.y.z are the same on the w.x.y part - the DNS servers or gateway won't matter as they're need for external routing. Easier to do this setting the IP on the xbox to dynamic and plugging it in to a network port on your router though, as then it'll set all the network addresses for you.

Comment

As Marty says you'll need to make sure they're on the same subnet for this to work. Using your example above, set your PC to the following network settings:

IP 192.168.0.1
      Subnet: 255.255.255.0
      Gateway: 192.168.0.1 (Not really needed but some applications require something in here so putting it in won't hurt)

Don't worry about anything else, those are the only setting you'll need for this. Then set your Xbox to the following:

IP: 192.168.0.2
      Subnet: 255.255.255.0
      Gateway: 192.168.0.1

On your PC, open the command prompt by using the executable cmd.exe (you can open this from the search bar), when in the command prompt type

ping 192.168.0.2

If you get a reply then you then you know that the 2 devices can talk to each other, if you get a request timed out error then you have another problem somewhere else. Check that the cable you're using is definitely a crossover cable, as they look nearly identical to normal ethernet cables, apart from the cores being swapped in the head. If you're using a router or switch then you don't need a crossover and just need a straight through ethernet cable.
      Last edited by Jamie; 09-08-2018, 08:40.

Comment

I often FTP between a Xbox and a Win7 PC. There's some good advice above but one thing I would correct is the information about using a cross-over cable or not. With modern PCs it actually shouldn't make a difference what cable type you're using, the PC will detect it and adjust the in/output channels accordingly. The only time you need to use a cross-over is when connecting two Xboxes together

The fact is FTPing PC to/from the Xbox can be a bit flakey. My old WinXP laptop (which did need a cross-over cable) connected fine using a static IP address but could I get DHCP to work via my router? No. I took and applied all the offered solutions without any joy.

Then when I started using a Win7 desktop instead could I get a static IP address to work even though all the settings are exactly the same as for the laptop? No. But DHCP using the very same router and set up that didn't work with the laptop works perfectly. Again I've taken Xbox and PC networking expert advice trying to get a static IP to work but it just will not.

My advice here, bearing in mind my experiences, is try to connect to the Xbox via your router and use DHCP instead. The UnleashX dash, which is what you appear to be using, needs to have Static changed to DHCP in the settings and then rebooted to enable it.

The default blue UnleashX skin will show the new assigned IP address in the bottom right corner if the connection is detected and working. If it does you should be able to FTP.

We aware though that if you're transferring large amounts of stuff with many files you may well get multiple disconnections/reconnections which can slow the total transfer time dramatically. FileZilla will usually flag up multiple "Failed To Transfer" errors, often as high as 10% of the total number of files being transferred.

The annoying thing is that 99% of the time when the rest have FTPed if you re-queue all those failures they'll eventually FTP perfectly, so what the problem was, who knows?

Xbox networking is quirky and that's really all the explanation there is.

Comment

Love the knowledge on this forum

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys, I will hopefully be able to get things working now.

Comment

I connected the Xbox to an old PC running XP and did things Jamie's way. It recognised the Xbox and allowed me to delete things etc...

But it says the server does not give me permission to change file names and see what size files are. How do I change this?

Comment

When you setup the connection in filezilla are you just typing the ip address and pressing connect, or are you putting the password details in as well?
                Last edited by Jamie; 09-08-2018, 23:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
                  When you setup the connection in filezilla are you just typing the ip address and pressing connect, or are you putting the password details in as well?
                  I decided to just use Windows Explorer and type 'ftp://xbox:[email protected]' into that and all the Xbox partitions and folders were accessible. I can delete and move things around, but when I try to find out details about file sizes etc.. it says the server does not give me permission.

Should I use Filezilla instead?

Comment

Yeah i would use Filezilla instead

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
                      Yeah i would use Filezilla instead
                      I was just testing the XP machine, but will now instrall Filezilla.

Thanks Jamie

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                        The fact is FTPing PC to/from the Xbox can be a bit flakey. My old WinXP laptop (which did need a cross-over cable) connected fine using a static IP address but could I get DHCP to work via my router? No. I took and applied all the offered solutions without any joy.
                        I can't remember whether the Xbox original hack supports an SSH server - if so, turn that on on the Xbox and then you can use WinSCP over SSH to transfer files which is a lot more stable than FTP.
                        Last edited by MartyG; 10-08-2018, 07:11.

Comment

Working...
                        X