No announcement yet.

Special Edition (& weird and wonderful) Consoles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both of those are monstrosities! Imagine decorating your front room with that!

One I do like is the Sega Sports Dreamcast. That's a nice machine, I'd really like one of those.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
      That's the PS2 I have. I had no idea it was a special edition.
      It isn't. It's just a white PS2. (As pointed out on previous pages I see!)

My Family GB Light was limited to 5000 units as I understand. Lovely machine.
      Last edited by speedlolita; 13-08-2018, 16:11.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
        It isn't. It's just a white PS2. (As pointed out on previous pages I see!)
        As I said, it depends on what you define as a "special edition". Personally I define anything which isn't the default version of any console, so I would include the white PS2s.

It's not "limited edition".

Comment

We're well into the realms of pedantry here to be fair, but wasn't the white slim PS2 sold alongside the black one in Japan as a standard SKU? I would say the pearl white and ceramic white fat PS2s were both special editions, but not the later slim ceramic white...at least not in Japan.

Not that it matters

Comment

I've never bought a special or limited edition console. I don't understand their appeal. Providing a console isn't ridiculously large, dayglo yellow in colour and fitted with bright flashing lights then I honestly don't mind what it looks like. Other than occasional glances to confirm the status of my PS4 and Switch, I don't look at them. There are several beautiful things that attract my attention in my home: my dogs' faces, plants and flowers, the cherry tree outside the window, Van gough prints on the wall, a Buddha statue, handmade pots, hand stitched fabrics, but factory produced goods ain't one of 'em. But to each their own. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, innit.

Comment

For me it's that the hardware being a bit different can look nice. Although some consoles do work better as special (or limited) edition consoles. For example the Nintendo GameCube, GameBoys or Sony PlayStation 2 all look great when not in their stock colour schemes. Probably nicer for handhelds than home based consoles.

I like a lot of the Asian special/limited editions over the years but never owned any. I generally hate the western (not special) editions like the Gears of War or Halo 4 Xbox 360 consoles for example. Ones I particularly remember (not hotlinking) - probably loads of others that I have missed:

Machines I have owned or own (in no order):
              • Gold Zelda Minish Cap GBA SP - sold, lovely looking GBA.
              • FFVII Crisis Core PSP - silver PSP, but UK release was a bit naff (no numbers etc.)
              • New 3DS XL SNES Edition - was a picture on here when it arrived. I needed a New 3DS and liked the look of this.
              • Red Wii Super Mario Anniversary - my launch Wii started artifacting (probably the GPU failing) so needed another Wii. Found a seller on Ebay with an unopened and brand new one for just over £130 - which I thought was a good price.
              • Zelda Wind Waker Wii U - pretty naff in that only the handset is different, and even then it's still the same black as the standard one. I only purchased it as I was looking for a Wii U and this was same price pretty much (I think £250).
              • Resident Evil 4 GC
              • Halo Reach Xbox 360 - was looking to upgrade to a Slim and this was a subtle looking edition. Loved the 360 and the different power on/disc eject noises. Only very recently sold and hopefully went to a good home.

Nothing too rare, but apart from the SNES 3DS have all been used - usually as my only version of a console. The Red Wii is probably the nicest looking limited edition I have. I have a pre-order in for the new PS4 Pro 500m Limited Edition, but again if I do buy it, it'll just replace the existing PS4 Pro.
              Last edited by Digfox; 14-08-2018, 11:42.

Comment

I bought one of these when I went to Japan:

Comment

Nice. Some of the special edition GBA's looked great.

Comment

Resurrection!

I read a Kotaku article that led me to the following link. Worth a look.

The Ultimate Console Database. Discover rare consoles, track your collection, get the latest news and be part of a thriving community.

Comment

Panasonic Q has to be the correct answer, no?

Still got mine and still love it, even if it does now sound like a jet engine taking off on the rare occasion that I use it!

Comment

I had one of these many moons ago. Was pretty cool at the time.

Comment

Still love this little guy.

Comment

Nowdays don't tend to buy them anymore i think the last limited edition i bought was the year of luigi 3DS LL. But i do have a handful of them going back to the gb days.

(various random pics)

This one only half counts as it's not official

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                              This one only half counts as it's not official
                              I've been tempted for years to get one of those refurb GBA's. I love the ergonomics and would really like one in matte white.

Comment

Any "refurb" that you find is going to have a crappy third party case. You're best off doing it yourself, if you can.

Comment

Working...
                                X