Raspberry pi help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm tempted to try this!

Can you make a telly PVr to replace your Tivo or Sky+ box?!

Comment

[MENTION=42]MartyG[/MENTION] or [MENTION=4553]Escape-To-88[/MENTION] are your men on that front mate!

Comment

Fair play.

I had images of you setting yours up like this:

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          I'm tempted to try this!

As far as I'm away, yes. Although I'd do it via an HTPC mini build.
          3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

It's not the bargain that a Pi would be though!

Maybe I'll hack a Dino King cab into a mini cinema!

Comment

It's not the bargain that a Pi would be though!

Maybe I'll hack a Dino King cab into a mini cinema!
              You can forget about bargains if you've seen the recent prices of the Dino Kings

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                Well I can't even begin to tell you how happy this makes me!!!

I think after a huge amount of frustration I'm getting to grips with what I'm doing now. I gave up on the premade SD card I bought and started my own from scratch this morning. That's the first PS game I've got running, but I've already got every PCE HuCard/MD/SFC/NEO game I want on there as well as thirty or so choice MAME titles. Just need to suss PCE CD games now and I'm golden!
                I'm sure I'll get lynched for this, but having spent two full days setting up Bigbox and numerous emulator instances with filters and hours of tinkering and fine tuning I did a side by side with this and the CRT PC box I setup that I filmed on Youtube, and to be honest, in some respects I think I actually prefer my PC setup on my Plasma to one of the PVM setups I have. I am running it on a calibrated Kuro so all the levels are lovely, but the fact that I can add and control bloom and various bits and bits makes me more nostalgic for how arcade CRTs were. This was more of a test, as I'll build a small gaming living room PC just for emulation and Steam for when I move next year, nice to see the results are actually really good. Don't get me wrong my mini Dino King cab is still king for arcade stuff, but I do wonder if my larger PVM is actually too sharp at 800 lines. Might relegate it to a lightgun-game-only monitor to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
                  I'm sure I'll get lynched for this, but having spent two full days setting up Bigbox and numerous emulator instances with filters and hours of tinkering and fine tuning I did a side by side with this and the CRT PC box I setup that I filmed on Youtube, and to be honest, in some respects I think I actually prefer my PC setup on my Plasma to one of the PVM setups I have. I am running it on a calibrated Kuro so all the levels are lovely, but the fact that I can add and control bloom and various bits and bits makes me more nostalgic for how arcade CRTs were. This was more of a test, as I'll build a small gaming living room PC just for emulation and Steam for when I move next year, nice to see the results are actually really good. Don't get me wrong my mini Dino King cab is still king for arcade stuff, but I do wonder if my larger PVM is actually too sharp at 800 lines. Might relegate it to a lightgun-game-only monitor to be honest.
                  I know what you mean.

I regularly alternate between 600 - 800 - 900 TVLs. The softer 600 liner is lovely for arcade / 3d games. Getting much sharper/vibrant with the 800; 900 is eye meltingly sharp, especially the smaller 14” (14e5e) I have. It’s just too good (900 TVL with a 0.22 pitch;

Interesting that you are using a plasma. Are you not feeling bad lag?

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                    Are you not feeling bad lag?
                    The new Retroarch has run ahead mate You can reduce latency to less than the original game

Comment

I'm tempted to try this!

I'm not sure how well it'll do recording as I've never tried tbh, you can get DVB-T sticks and run a headless server like TVHeadEnd to manage it, they take a bit of set up mind. As you're on USB2 with the Pi bandwidth starts to become limited so you're certainly not going to get close to SATA speeds with the HDD.

I replaced my Sky box with a DVB-S PCI-E card and a couple of DVB-T sticks, but I'm running this on an x86 platform on Ubuntu Server. I had to compile the drivers for the satellite card from source code. I don't think I've seen a USB satellite tuner, but they may exist.

I don't think the Pi is the best platform for doing this though. Something like the Rock 64 Pro 4GB might be a better choice if you wanted to go down the tiny form factor route - that even has a 4x PCI-E slot on it.
                      Last edited by MartyG; 13-08-2018, 17:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
                        The new Retroarch has run ahead mate You can reduce latency to less than the original game
                        I’ve no bother in that dept!

Comment

Sorry I'm not much help, but I had a few issues when I first ran mine, I followed a few videos on youtube, faffed about with some code (copy and pasted as per video instruction) and it worked with sound

I've not bothered to update it or add anything else, my advice is to start again with one of the pre-built images from here: https://www.arcadepunks.com/retro-pi-downloads-page/

Great bit of kit though aren't they, get a keyboard and mouse for ease of use when it comes to messing around with it.

Comment

So, has anyone actually managed to get Zanac X Zanac Neo working on one of these things? It took ages to even get the ISO, but it locks out on load. I think it might be a mod chip thing? Is there a workaround?

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                              So, has anyone actually managed to get Zanac X Zanac Neo working on one of these things? It took ages to even get the ISO, but it locks out on load. I think it might be a mod chip thing? Is there a workaround?
                              I've not tried. Away today but when I get back will give it a go. Which PSX core are you using?

Comment

I think it’s pcsx rearmed.

Comment

Working...
                                X