Raspberry pi help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, guys.
    I've plenty to keep me busy at the minute, but it's amazing what these little machines can do.
    I'd like to build something as a project with my son, eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
      I think it’s pcsx rearmed.
      Try Beetle-psx mate
      3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

There doesn't seem to be a beetle-psx listed?

Comment

There doesn't seem to be a beetle-psx listed?
          Mednafen?
          3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Oh, I love the look of this one!

Doesn't look like it's Raspberry Pi, though...

Comment

I really need to switch mine off. I'm supposed to be working from home but finding it difficult to motivate myself!

@Escape-To-88 couldn't see Mednafen listed in the packages either, I'll look for a guide later of how to add cores that aren't listed.

Comment

I really need to switch mine off. I'm supposed to be working from home but finding it difficult to motivate myself!
                I could sit down for hours and hours enjoying Raspberry Pi.

I'll look for a guide later of how to add cores that aren't listed.
                I don't even know how to access the image on my PC and add more games. It was a pain working out the all the basics when it comes to scanlines etc.. so I worry about going deeper and ruining everything.
                Last edited by Leon Retro; 14-08-2018, 17:43.

Comment

You don't need to go via a PC to add cores, you can do it through the Retroarch UI, the editing of the EmulationStation systems config to add them to the front end launcher is a little more technical as you have to use a text editor to do it, but it should just be a matter of copying one of the existing entries and changing it to point to the right executable.
                  Last edited by MartyG; 14-08-2018, 17:42.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                    You don't need to go via a PC to add cores, you can do it through the Retroarch UI.
                    Where do you get the cores from? How do you put new things on the card?

Comment

They're listed in the RetroArch update section and you just select them, you can launch RetroArch directly from EmulationStation without loading any emulators.

1.On the RetroArch Main Menu , select online updater
                      2. Select Core Updater
                      3. Select Core to add or update

That's it in terms of adding them to RetroArch.

Once you've done that you need to edit es_systems.cfg for EmulationStation via the Raspberry Pi command line, so they show up on the front end. Be sure to make a copy of the es_systems.cfg before editing it.

Code:
                      sudo cp /etc/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg /etc/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg.backup
                      Then

Code:
                      sudo nano /etc/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg
                      You'll see a load of these, you need to create a new one for the newly added core. Each system has this config in the file, the paths will depend on where EmulationStation and RetroArch is located, obviously. x

Code:
                      <system>
                          <name>nes</name>
                          <fullname>Nintendo Entertainment System</fullname>
                          <path>/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/nes</path>
                          <extension>.nes .zip .NES .ZIP</extension>
                          <command>/home/pi/retropie/retroarch/retroarch.exe -L /home/pi/retropie/retroarch/cores/nestopia_libretro.dll  %ROM%</command>
                          <platform>nes</platform>
                          <theme>nes</theme>
                      </system>
                      This explains how to do it in detail: https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie...ulationStation

You don't have to edit the EmulationStation config file as you can always just launch games from RetroArch by going into that, but it's not hard to do once you've muddled through the first time.

If you mess up the config file, copy it back from the backup and all should be okay again.

Code:
                      sudo cp /etc/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg.backup /etc/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg
                      Last edited by MartyG; 14-08-2018, 18:12.

Comment

They're listed in the RetroArch update section and you just select them.
                        So I just plug an Ethernet cable into my Pi?

Comment

Code:
                          <system>
                              <name>nes</name>
                              <fullname>Nintendo Entertainment System</fullname>
                              <path>/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/nes</path>
                              <extension>.nes .zip .NES .ZIP</extension>
                              <command>/home/pi/retropie/retroarch/retroarch.exe -L /home/pi/retropie/retroarch/cores/nestopia_libretro.dll  %ROM%</command>
                              <platform>nes</platform>
                              <theme>nes</theme>
                          </system>
                          When I see stuff like this.. I feel.

I wish I had a robot to do this sort of thing for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                            So I just plug an Ethernet cable into my Pi?
                            Yeah, the Pi needs a network connection to talk to the updater.

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                            When I see stuff like this.. I feel.

I wish I had a robot to do this sort of thing for me.
                            Don't be, all it is is a text file with XML parameters inside it - you can't really completely break things if you make a backup copy first for config files that aren't system related; you can get yourself in trouble if you start editing things like fstab and boot.txt, as these are OS files - you're not going anywhere near those, but then half the fun is learning how this stuff works.

These are essentially just key value pairs, (key=value, e.g., path=/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/nes) but instead with XML, the key being the text in the <> </> brackets with the value for that key in the middle of the open and close brackets. Just remember that filepaths and file names are case sensitive in Linux, so /home/pi/RetroPie is a different directory than /home/pi/retropie - the two can coexist.
                            Last edited by MartyG; 14-08-2018, 18:33.

Comment

but then half the fun is learning how this stuff works.
                              It is nice to get your head around things, but can be a real headache if you do something wrong and then have to work out what the problem is. I will definitely have to be in a relaxed mood before I attempt anything. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Have to be honest [MENTION=42]MartyG[/MENTION], I don't now what the hell you're talking about either.

Comment

Working...
                                X