Gaming Regrets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
    I’d love perfect pdf scans of all of Mean Machines, Super Play, Anime UK... I certainly don’t miss piles of dusty old magazines though.

Comment

I regret buying an XBOX One on day one... I barely touched it, and ended up selling it in for a fraction of its original price... The days when I could enjoy more than one main console is looking bleak, as I barely have time to turn on one console these days... too many distractions and not enough time.

I also regret not purchasing certain ‘hard to source’ games niw, which were widely available back in the day, but I procrastinated. Games like Panzer Dragoon Saga on PAL release...

Comment

I took Castle of Illusion on MD to school to lend to someone. I gave it to my teacher to look after so she put it in her desk drawer. Come Monday morning, the cartridge was gone. Box and instructions were still there, though.

I was gutted.

I blamed the Chinese kids who used to go there for Sunday school. My teacher wouldn't have nicked it. She was white.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
          I took Castle of Illusion on MD to school to lend to someone. I gave it to my teacher to look after so she put it in her desk drawer. Come Monday morning, the cartridge was gone. Box and instructions were still there, though.

I was gutted.

I blamed the Chinese kids who used to go there for Sunday school. My teacher wouldn't have nicked it. She was white.
          Probably a good thing it got nicked, saved you rage quiting on it and launching the cartridge at the wall. That game was impossible!

My regret... Not entering any game competitions. I remember blockbuster did a local ridge racer comp and I never went.
          Im a shadow of my former self on 2D fighters too, to the point that I frustrate myself playing them now and actively avoid them. Wish I entered a competition at my peak. I'm not saying in any way I would win.

Comment

Do white people not steal stuff?

Comment

Putting aside the stuff that followed, [MENTION=16665]Blobcat[/MENTION] will probably be along shortly to relate how she owned Mystical Ninja on the N64 but never got to play it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                Probably a good thing it got nicked, saved you rage quiting on it and launching the cartridge at the wall. That game was impossible!
                Are you thinking of the same game? I haven't played it for ages, but I remember completing this without much difficulty years ago. Certainly don't remember it being too hard, and I wasn't that good at games anyway.

Comment

Castle of Illusion was tough for me back then but I’m better at it these days as I still remember the boss patterns!

Comment

I thought most gaming regrets would be old collections and I don't have many regrets although I had a couple of console that for various reasons I got rid of, namely my SNES and N64 collections. Both were PAL collections so not worth too much financially but I would have liked to have played with occasionally over the years.

That said realistically with space, expense of HDMI scalers and emulation I'm not sure I would have spent huge amounts of time on them. The SNES funded a launch PlayStation back in Sept 1995 and the N64 collection was broken up on eBay for money in the early-2000's. But honestly over the years anything I've got rid of, I haven't really missed which speaks volumes about my gaming habits.

I do regret dropping £90 on Destiny 2 + DLC. Does that count?

Comment

The only "I sold it and I regret it" thing I have is my Game Boy Advance collection. When Gamestation was closing down, I went to my local stores and bought their shoeboxes of cart-only games; I had a ton of them. Most of them were sold right away; 9 copies of Scooby Doo and the like, but they only cost me £1 each so I even made a profit. That left me with a load of the better games.

I sold it off to buy an iPhone 4, years later. It wasn't a bad tradeoff in terms of value - I sold the games for good prices and they haven't risen all that much. The problem isn't that it would be expensive to reacquire them; it's that some of them I'd really struggle to find at all now.

My other selloffs don't really bug me. For instance, I had an NGPC collection back in maybe ~2000, all in boxes, a foot long - but I generally dislike owning games I don't actively play and I hate dragging stuff around like an anchor. I only keep a handful of stuff. In particular, since the GBA SP - or possibly the DS Lite, and the huge jump in screen quality that represented - I've found it impossible to go back to older handhelds.

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
                      I do regret dropping £90 on Destiny 2 + DLC. Does that count?
                      That's a point; we seem to have a lot of "I sold x and now it's worth a fortune" posts, but what of buyer's remorse?

Has no-one here bought Panzer Dragoon Saga for £200 and then regretted it?

I don't have any major ones. I regret buying Star Wars: The Old Republic for @Blobcat and I; it was a terrible game and we both ditched it within the free month. I really bought into the hype on that one (actually this probably ties into my prior WoW post). I regretted buying a PSP on launch, but I later sold it for the price I bought it, so that was fine in the finish.

Comment

-Not so much a regret as it helped me get my first Nintendo DS but trading in my clear pink Gameboy Advance. I'm not a fan of pink but when I saw the clear design I fell in love with it but the screen was pretty bad to see anything with. I still think about it.

- Donkey Kong 64. I got it for Christmas the year it came out. I was a massive Banjo Kazooie nerd and I had only asked for it as the one game I'd get that year. Never played any DK games appart from the original arcade and Jr on Game and watch. I asked for it purely on its good reviews. I thought it was ok, maybe good if I had never played BK but really not worth it, appart from maybe getting the expansion pack from it I guess.

- Pinocchio on the Gameboy. Again good reviews and looked good on screenshots. Point to note, the only Disney game I ever owned was The Jungle Book on Gameboy which to this day I think was great. Pinocchio was about £32 which I bought with money and a voucher I had, came with a poster which was cool. Completed it in about 20 minutes and it didn't have a proper ending. I should have returned it but like a dumbass I kept it.

- Getting rid of Chibi Robo. I really liked it even though it was pretty slow. I seem to recall I begrudgingly sold it to help fund my move out of my parents house. I got my money back for it and maybe slightly more (I sold it about 1-2 years after it came out) but I still fancy one last play on it.

- Getting rid of Banjo-Tooie before I finished it. Don't regret selling it, it wasn't as good as the first, but I didn't complete it before I sold it.

EDIT because of what [MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION] mentioned something I had blocked out of my memory

-Never getting to play Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon on the N64. Around the Gamecube era I got a copy 2nd hand from a market with a damaged sticker only to find it was the second one. Years later I had a brilliant find of the first game (boxed) and some nostalgic DVD's I was going to watch at my friends over the weekend as I was going to sleep over hers. Went to the local Yates's that evening with the rest of my shopping, didn't realise till the following morning the bag with the game and dvd's was not with us and I must have left in the bar so were never seen again. :'(

Also sad I sold my N64 (with the intent to buy another one day so kept some old games) and Batman on the NES as part of my desperate clear out to get money for the move out of my parents. Would really like Mystical ninja, a console to play it on and Batman back :'(.

Just need to learn how to clean my NES to make it work correctly for the first time in it's life.
                        Last edited by Blobcat; 17-08-2018, 18:34.

Comment

I love when you and Asura post in the same thread at similar times

I imagine one of you waiting for the other to finish their go on the shared PC. Or sitting on the sofa watching Miss Marple while on your phones. Or doing the dishes and then hearing a ping after being mentioned. When you mention, do you look over and smile at him? Or him at you?

Lovely stuff.

Comment

Bought a boxed Donkey Kong game and watch from a bootsale for £2 when I was young and to this day have no clue what happened to it.

Comment

I imagine one of you waiting for the other to finish their go on the shared PC. Or sitting on the sofa watching Miss Marple while on your phones. Or doing the dishes and then hearing a ping after being mentioned. When you mention, do you look over and smile at him? Or him at you?

Lovely stuff.
                              [MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION] has his PC connected through the tv and my PC (his old one, I intend to build my first new one sometime next year) is in the corner of the room so we can play/ surf the web at the same time. Fun when we play Guild Wars 2 together.

I'm more of a Poirot fan myself but I wouldn't snub Miss Marple if it was coming on the tv. Unfortunately we don't have a tv aerial so don't watch that sort of stuff anymore unless its on Netflix (can't be bothered with catch up unless we get recommended something.)

I really like nostalgia threads, especially gaming as we learn more snippets that 15 years may not have revealed to us about our lives as kids before we met.

Comment

I kind of regret getting the new Super Robot Wars games on PS4 instead of Vita. I'm having a blast with Super Robot Wars Portable A on PSP and think the Vita games were probably the way to go in hindsight.

Apart from that the only true regret I have is buying Fahrenheit. The demo sells it as a completely different experience and I bought into it wholesale. It's the one time I can remember thinking I'd pissed £30 down the drain. I still feel that way today and haven't bought a David Cage game since.

Comment

Working...
                                X