Fond game related things you remember as a kid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fond game related things you remember as a kid

It's been a while since I made a rubbish thread that will probably die by page 3.

What little gaming things do you have fond memories of as being a kid? You know, blowing the NES carts, that sort of thing. List below!

Opening my Mega Drive on Christmas day when I thought at best I'd get a Master System, even though my Dad let me open Quackshot first which ruined the surprise.

Loading C64 games while you eat your tea.

Pausing the game after Mum shouting that tea is ready even though it wasn't even served!

Putting a towel across the bottom of the door so my Step Dad coudn't see the TV light shining through the door so I could play PSO until 4am

Copying C64 games on my Dad's Panasonic Hi-fi

Buying dodgy PS1 copies at school and playing them in black and white because my TV didn't support NTSC

Seeing Mario 64 running for the first time in HMV and being like OMG!

Renting Virtua Fighter on Mega Drive because I couldn't afford a Saturn

Buying a NES with Super Mario Bros. 3 for £30 from Curry's with my birthday money after having a Mega Drive for 2 years prior

Licking a Game Gear charger while it was plugged in

Toy day on the last day at school telling everyone the Game boy reset trick (holding all the buttons down) as a prank to get more lives on Super Mario Land

Upgrading to RGB Scart for the first time

Trying to pull the little yellow plastic thing out of EA Mega Drive Cartridges

Making a 1000BHP Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo on Gran Turismo 1

Bovine cheat on Theme Park!

There's so many! lol
    Last edited by MarioMark; 15-08-2018, 20:35.

Haha, trying to pull the yellow thing out of EA MD games, I did that. Just what was that thing all about? For some reason I was obsessed with trying to find what it was hiding.

I used to spend a lot of time rereading old games magazines. I read an interview in PlayStation Max with Kevin Keegan about 4 times, and I don’t even like football. Even at the time I remember thinking “this is weird”.

Comment

Originally posted by MarioMark View Post
      It's been a while since I made a rubbish thread that will probably die by page 3.
      Could be less than that depending on how many posts per page you've got set to view.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
        Haha, trying to pull the yellow thing out of EA MD games, I did that. Just what was that thing all about? For some reason I was obsessed with trying to find what it was hiding.
        I did that too! It really looked like it was meant to slide out.

Comment

Going to the shop with my best mate on Saturday mornings to get the latest nintendo official magazine when it came out. Then sometime around that period of time meeting some of the writers at a Pokemon tournament.

Comment

Opening my Mega Drive On Christmas day and my staff checking it out (still have the box with his footprints to this very day) in front of the parkray.

Me and my brother playing Wonderboy on the Master System till 3am on Christmas day (well boxing day) and having a mega telling off, from mum

Looking forward to new issue of Mean Machines mag.

Going to school and coming back home with Commando and Spy Hunter for the Zx Spectrum.

Me and 6 mates on the mitch from school and playing Wonderboy II on the Master System.

After 4 hrs of entering the basic code from the Input magazine getting the Maze game to work.

Playing Out Run in the Arcades for the 1st time.

Mum taking me to Toys R Us to buy Master System games.

Being totally amazed that the graphics from the S mag, was what Mega Dive games actually looked like.

Me and my Uncle playing F29 on the Atari St for the 1st time.

My carvan holiday's to Porthcawl and playing the Arcade games in the Dirty Duck being watched over by my gran (while mum got pissed lol)

Comment

Originally posted by MarioMark View Post
              Making a 1000BHP Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo on Gran Turismo 1
              Yesss. Loved this. I didn't even understand how the Gran Turismo mode worked in that game for far too long, I didn't realise you had to buy a car basically. And because I wasn't good at the game for a good long time I was only able to acquire a B license, so I used to grind out credits playing the Sunday Cup in a heavily upgraded Impreza and blowing away the rubbish I was racing. I'm sure most of you guys here were playing Gran Turismo 3 by the time I got my A license in GT1, and I only got my IA license a few years ago even! I love that game, even now. It's just so good.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                Yesss. Loved this. I didn't even understand how the Gran Turismo mode worked in that game for far too long, I didn't realise you had to buy a car basically. And because I wasn't good at the game for a good long time I was only able to acquire a B license, so I used to grind out credits playing the Sunday Cup in a heavily upgraded Impreza and blowing away the rubbish I was racing. I'm sure most of you guys here were playing Gran Turismo 3 by the time I got my A license in GT1, and I only got my IA license a few years ago even! I love that game, even now. It's just so good.
                Haha Sunday cup! Classic. I loved the pal version with Manic Street Preachers doing the intro.

Comment

4-player split-screen gaming with friends. Nothing beats that.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                    4-player split-screen gaming with friends. Nothing beats that.
                    Great, you made me remember playing 4 player Halo 2 on a 14" CRT. My eyes!

Comment

Yeah, we used to have regular 4-player Goldeneye sessions on the 21” telly in my bedroom... thankfully it was at least full screen 60Hz NTSC.

Comment

I upgraded to a 28" with a 5.1 system especially for Perfect Dark.

That was a good day... PAL Perfect Dark launched the same day as JP 3S.

Comment

Which would you rather play?

Comment

Playing Super Mario Bros. on a demo NES in Dixons as my Mum weighed up whether to get one for me for Xmas or not after I'd spent all day at my cousins playing his hammering Mega Man 2

Edit - Actually, it may very well have been a Rumbalows store

Comment

Taking turns playing on the Specy with my brothers because changing games took too long to load.

Seeing Streets of Rage on the GG in ToysRus and begging my parents for it...being told no...but having it secretly bought for me!

Coming home from school on my birthday and my parents had wrapped my bedroom door with paper, when I ripped it open I was greeted with an Amiga fully set up!

A few years later my Amiga finally bit the dust and my Parents surprised me with a Mega Drive, which I still own.

Being really sick for a week and my parents bought me Sonic 2, which I still own.
                              (Come to think of it my parents surprised me a lot with games and consoles!)

Comment

Working...
                              X