No announcement yet.

Fond game related things you remember as a kid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess you had to be there. He did it for comedic effect. Mostly. And effective it was too!

He was that kinda kid. Liked doing weird stuff. I remember walking down the road with him once, again we were young children, and happening upon a dried up dead frog on the road that had been run over. He picked it up, kinda unfolded it a little with his hands, then stuck his tongue up through it's body and out it's mouth. Looked like the frog had a tongue and was alive. It was funny. Disgusting again, but also very funny.

Comment

My last year at primary school , most likely 1982 one kid who’s dad worked abroad had a game and watch juggle and we were all dead jealous !

Comment

Playing Grannies Garden on the BBC Acorn at school!

Posted many times on here but getting my (very unexpected) gameboy for Christmas from a random Uncle, and many years later getting Pokemon Blue when I had completed as much of Red as I could without it.

A friend had a birthday party and I got to sleep over that Friday. Found she had a Mega Drive and we played World of Illusion 2 player in the afternoon and we were so into it and our mum's were so cool they let me sleep over again if we paused it and had a break from it that evening. She moved away shortly after that party and last year randomly found her on facebook, she remembers that weekend well too!

Putting the same 3 codes into my Game Genie for infinite time, lives and higher jump in Snake Rattle and Roll (I remember the notes they make in order!)

Playing my gameboy to the streetlights on the motorway on long journeys in the back of the car.

Again, my Mum screamed that dinner was ready, paused and came downstairs to find it wasn't!

My stepdad bursting into my room when I was playing Banjo Kazooie imitating Kazooie's running squawks, telling me to please stop or turn it down!

Getting my first job solely to save and buy the first console I bought myself - the Gamecube

Only time I played 4 player Super Smash Brothers on N64 with 2 borrowed controllers and my steering wheel. I won on the wheel as Yoshi.

Getting my Mew at a Pokemon Tournament in The Metro Centre.

Didn't realise what it was at the time but my dad had a crappy computer I'd get to play on sometimes when he had me on weekends. I strongly suspect looking back it was MSDOS and had loads of copied games on it all named in random codes. Cool Crock twins I later got to find again on a neighbours PC and loved it!

Caused my stepdad to back into a pillar in the car after I was talking excitedly about my copy of Pokemon Red I had just got.

Playing the Air Force One level on Perfect Dark over and over again. I loved the movie

Sadly destroying my Game and Watch of Fire when I stood on it directly in the shed. I was upset it broke but angry about wtf it was doing in the floor of the shed I never went in?!?!

First kiss with [MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION] many years before we officially started dating was the day Resident Evil 4 came out and he got the special edition gamecube with it. We don't actually own a copy of it anymore but I still have my saves of my copy I got years later, would like to own it again to play with the infinate missile launcher which is AWESOME.

I'll think of some more and post another time!
        Last edited by Blobcat; 17-08-2018, 19:10.

Comment

I love this thread. It's bringing all sorts back.
          I remember coming home from school ready to play on the spectrum and finding my brother was using it for the next 4 hours to draw mandelbrot fractals! How the feck he got the spectrum to do it I'll never know.

Comment

Going into WHSmiths as a kid and buying Spectrum games from the bargain bin for 50p each. Coming home to games like Rambo, which took about an hour to load and sometimes crashed at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Blobcat View Post
              Getting my Mew at a Pokemon Tournament in The Metro Centre.
              I'm jealous. I went to a Pokemon tournament in Crystal Palace when I was about 16 immediately felt too old. I got beat by a kid who had multiple Mewtwo in his team, which is against the rules! I felt too embarrassed to complain hah. Never got my Mew.

Comment

This is how I got my Mew! Wasn't readily known at the time though: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/w...ner-Fly_glitch

Mew can learn any TM and has even base stats across all values, it's a much weaker Pokémon than Mewtwo in the end. I mean this makes sense canonically too when you consider the Mewtwo is an enhanced clone of Mew.
                Last edited by speedlolita; 17-08-2018, 22:53.

Comment

That's interesting. I remember messing about with quite a few glitches but I never heard of that one. I got my Mew via an Action Replay.

Comment

Trying to load Way of the Exploding Fist on the ZX Spectrum at 6am so I could play it before school without waking everyone in the house up.

Anyone who has every owned a Spectrum will know how noisy they were when loading games. After seeing Data East's Karate Champ game in the leisure centre with its twin sticks, I desperately wanted a similar game as this on my computer, a while later I saw this advertised in Crash Magazine (although it definitely looked better on the C64) and knew that this was a game I needed in my collection.

When I'm getting up early to play a game, it meant it's a great experience that I need in my life as much as possible, and t's a rare occurrence these days; for that reason I recommend people play Factorio - the demo at the very least

Comment

I had an idiot friend who believed you had to turn the sound up when the cassette was loading or else it wouldn’t work.

Comment

Your friend was correct, sort of. If you turned the volume down on the cassette recorder too much, the Spectrum will struggle to load because the levels will not be high enough for the ULA to pick up leaving you with a flashing red and blue border. You don't want it clipping, but especially with the fast loaders the signal levels needed to be a decent quality. That's why trying to load a Spectrum game at 6am was fraught with danger

I can't remember whether the 128K Model 2 Spectrum still did the loading screaming, but with the Spectrum and Spectrum+ the tape noise was unavoidable. You could get away will lower volume, but you were far more likely to see this.

Last edited by MartyG; 19-08-2018, 09:32.

Comment

Jesus!

I was living a life of luxury with my Amstrad CPC 464 that didn’t need to do that. I guess the volume knob was controlling an amplifier.

With the spectrum, was the tape player external? That might explain it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Monkey View Post
                            My fondest gaming memory is watching my brother play Jet Set Willy. I can't remember the year or therefore what age we were but I think my brother was 11 and I was 8. My brother was playing the game and really needed a poo but he was so into the game that he couldn't be bothered going to the toilet. Without any indication or warning he suddenly pulls his pants down, sticks a hand between his legs, pushes, then proudly holds his hand out with a big poo on it. Reminded me of a cat presenting a dead mouse. Man, it was funny, disgusting, but very funny. He ended up going to the bathroom to wash his hands so it was broken logic but, ahh, whenever I picture it I smile.
                            Crap story. When he pulled his pants down, did you see his jet set willy?

Comment

Working...
                            X