Social Disconnect: Your Hit Flops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social Disconnect: Your Hit Flops

Especially in the modern era of streaming services, every year there is an utter deluge of new series, specials and movies released to a wide range of success levels. Sometimes though a content maker finds they have a hit on their hands and the happy days roll in.

The viewers lap up this new offering as well, but not all the time. Sometimes something is well thought of or even a big success and you see it and think... umm, nope.

Sometimes you just cant get into something that so many others seem to be easily able to. It can be for any number of reasons but every now and again you have your own personal hit flop.

What series or movies have you tried and ended feeling disconnected from the positive praise it generally receives?

This thread will only lead to bad things.

But seeing as you asked, Harry Potter. But I'm not going to try to make a case for why it's bad because people love them and I have no problem with that. Go love your movies, folks!

Comment

My first one is just because it was in the news that they've filmed Season 3 -

True Detective
      Season 2 was bad, no secret, but I still don't rate the first run either. Found it to be pretty dull, with little of interest about it. Pretty much held together by two actors to the point where I'll be genuinely impressed if they make the third run work.

Comment

Young Sheldon
        The Big Bang spin-off. Kind of like a dramedy but fails to excel in either genre. It's main issue is that without comedy at the forefront it's pretty much pointless, we know enough from the main show to know nothing of value happens here as all Sheldon's character development is born of his adult experiences. This just meanders with grown up Sheldon regurgitating lines and references as though we hadn't already heard them. Had Big Bang not still been big, this would have been cancelled I'm sure.

Comment

HIMYM, BBT, 2 1/2 Men. So Chuck Lorre then!!

Walking Dead was great first series and then meh.

24: great for 3 years and then just got (really) stupid.

Comment

Oh man, Breaking Bad.

I'm trying it again at the moment, now the hype's died, but it really felt like I should be watching it just because everybody else was watching it.

Comment

Said it before: Christopher Nolan Batman films. They're not bad, but surprised at the jizzfull praise they get.

To be honest, I get more annoyed with the fans than the actual films.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                Oh man, Breaking Bad.

I'm trying it again at the moment, now the hype's died, but it really felt like I should be watching it just because everybody else was watching it.
                You enjoyed Lost though?

Comment

Lost had some great ideas and some monumental televisual moments.

Genuine "what the heeeell?!" breath-taking twists.

The problem is, they stretched a great premise too thin, had loads of filler episodes and had loads of great ideas that didn't really go anywhere.

If they'd streamlined it, it would have been so much better and it's made me cautious about starting any new show for fear of dragging on for too long or, thinking they can have Lost's sustainability and getting cancelled after two seasons, thinking they'll run for twelve.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    Lost had some great ideas and some monumental televisual moments.

Genuine "what the heeeell?!" breath-taking twists.

The problem is, they stretched a great premise too thin, had loads of filler episodes and had loads of great ideas that didn't really go anywhere.

If they'd streamlined it, it would have been so much better and it's made me cautious about starting any new show for fear of dragging on for too long or, thinking they can have Lost's sustainability and getting cancelled after two seasons, thinking they'll run for twelve.
                    If Lost was 3 seasons long and the writers knew where it was going, it would have been great!

Comment

Big Bang is terrible ... it's simply not funny (apart from the odd situation with Stuart), yet I watch it for some bizarre reason. If my wife walks in while it's on I feel genuine embarrassment ... like I'd rather get caught watching Frankie Vaughn.

As for popular stuff I don't get on with I'd say The Avengers films. I think I prefer Marvel films that have a foot in another genre: like Ant Man - heist, Winter Soldier - Cold War thriller, etc ...

Comment

My ending for Lost:
                        Simulation run by higher level beings, with the island just existing as a glitch in the simulation, thus moving around and weird smoke etc. Cast eventually discovers a rift that lets them get "outside", pull a few levers and lock out the higher beings and recode the world in whatever way they want. Ends with beings noticing the Sim isn't responding, so rebooting and going back to episode 1.lol.

Comment

On topic... GOT.... Watched first episode and have no clue why anyone would have greenlit after that. Never watched any more.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                            On topic... GOT.... Watched first episode and have no clue why anyone would have greenlit after that. Never watched any more.
                            Yeah, I think GOT is utter tripe.

But then each to their own.

Comment

Breaking Bad here too. Managed 3 episodes.

Big Bang Theory has some amusing bits but does not stand up to repeat viewing.

HIMYM I've watched 10+ times all the way through. Love it. I remember half of the lines verbatim but it still makes me laugh.

Comment

Working...
                              X